ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: I'm Rich!

even the beggers should not get something for nothing * hire them to "do" some thing --go get you a newspaper --pick up litter --(anything) to teach folks --something for nothing is a bad lesson indeed--- if they are totally feeble even have them to say prayer to god for you asking god to forgive your past sins .

by making them "do" something --anything --- you let them feel they earned it --allowing them their self worth -- not being a "bum" or "begger"

nada por nada & nada por amore ---( nothing for nothing and nothing for love / pity )

tabking

Greenie
Jul 13, 2006

eldorado said:
I feel sorry for you guys who use coin stars...... dont you loose 10% right off the top???? geesh you must be rich throwing away 10% of your money,,, I would ask you for spare change too.

Last time I used coin star I think it was 8%. Anyway, I half way agree. I save all of my pocket change every day. I figure it is worth 80 cents to count out 40 quarters or 100 dimes and put them in rolls to deposit at my bank. I throw my pennies and nickels into a jar and when it gets full, I let coin star count those.

As to the original topic:
I have no money to spare for panhandlers. I donate food and money to the local food bank. At least I know that some of it goes to children and people who really need it.

Our church had a really good idea this year. We were asked to donate 40 cans of food, one for each day of lent. After Easter, we delivered a truck load of cans to the food bank.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

coinstars are only for cruddy zinc cents do one else will take :wink: ;D

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hmmm.... :icon_scratch:

OK, OK.... People should not give to homeless or panhandlers because of what they want to buy with it. You should give because it is the right thing to do. So you don't like the idea of giving them money then offer to give food. If they say that's OK then they most likely don't need it and you can move on. So what if they want to get high that is their business and it will be their Karma for blowing the money on drugs. However the important thing is you had compassion for them and you gave them what you worked so hard for. To be kind, understanding and compassionate that is the real reason you should give to them. I used to be on the streets, I used to spare change for food. Sure I wanted drugs sometimes but that was normally paid for... I was sparing change for food cause all my money went to drugs. I was very upset that people making $100,000 a year can't stand to give a homeless teen a buck or two. How offten do you get asked for spare change once a year, will it kill people to give a buck or two that one time a year. I don't think so... Remember this was my past, I have changed and other people can change. Man I wish I had a metal detector back then I would not have been homeless. People need to be less greedy, less selfish, and less hateful to eachother and more compassionate and kind. People who spare change and drive off in a car, likely live in that car. Poverty is real, hunger is real. People can't always work and get help from the government if they can't work. I can tell you stories all day about things that make me sick. Things like people I know will tip a server $20 for seating them at their normal table. If a homeless person asked them for some spare change they would not give a cent. To me this is messed up but who cares right out of site out of mind. Another time I gave a homeless person $10.00 and not 15 min later I found $11.00 on the floor in a store. I made a buck in instant good karma. Be kind to everything it could be the last thing you do.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Let me guess... You voted for Obama.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Same thing happened to me at a Home Depot the other day in the parking lot.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bank of the West sorts my coins out for no charge since I have an account there. Claro que si, Ivan Salis!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

taz in omaha ne said:
It's Sad But True that some people just won't do anything to better themselfs and take the Easy way out.
I drive a Semi "18 wheeler" an you would not believe just how many folks try that Im Stranded,Im Hungry,Im Broke scam around here. Seems there is allways one or two on a Interstate Ramp near a Truck Stop that do that. Well im not rich but the moment i offer to get them some food it allways turns into " Oh i would rather have the money so i can get it when im hungry " Hmmm ? Ya holding a sign that says your Hungry but you don't want Food Now..That tells the tall right there. :coffee2:
Know what you mean . Rollin off the ramp to "The J" in Dallas one evening I got 'signed' by 10 people , 9 of which I ignored .
One guy was flashing a sign that said ......
"WHY LIE ? I WANT BUDWEISER ! "
I rewarded him with $5 for his honesty .

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.

Three things that happend to me when I lived in Australia:

There was a shopping center across the street from where I used to work. I was using the ATM outside of the enterance to the center to get some cash to go in and buy some McDonalds. While I was standing at the machine waiting for it to spit out my money, a lady walks up and asks for $5 so she could go in and buy some McDonalds. I felt throughly intruded upon. I gave her the best angry face I could muster and told her to bugger off! She walked off, cussing under her breath abit.

Once, my wife and I were walking down the street, passing in front of one of the train stations in Sydney. This dirty old bearded guy walks up and says "Hey mate, can I have $2 for a train ticket? I have to get to Liverpool to bring these to my sister." He proceeds to pull out a box of tampons! Again, I gave him the best angry face I could muster and told him to bugger off!

Last one. One nice Saturday morning I get a knock on the front door of our house. I open up and there is this lady there who asks me for $2 and starts telling me some sob story. I was kind of stunned because this is the first time I've ever actually had someone like this come knocking on my own front door. Well, interupted her and said "Lady, I'm from the United States. If you had done this in my country, I would have shot you by now for trespassing!" She made an about face and quickly walked off. I watched her from the living room window and she was going door to door down the street. I couldn't believe it.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

On this subject:

Over the last year, while I was in Iraq, my wife had let a friend who was stuck living at her parents house move into our four bedroom rural house. Why not? We had to pay mortgage anyway, and my wife was having to live in Dallas.

She then allowed another "friend" to move in, along with her daughter. She then let her boyfriend move in as well. Mind you, there are now three adults and two children living in this house, rent free.

This weekend, my wife and I worked our butts off cleaning up the horrible mess. The back yard had a huge puddle of standing water. Evidently a water pipe was cracked. They had been paying 90 dollar a month water bills, and just never bothered to check it out. Also, my storm shelter has two feet of water in it from this.

They were told ABSOLUTELY NO smoking in the house. My wife and I smoke, but we have always smoked outside. There were ashtrays in EVERY ROOM except the kids room. There were empty beer and liquor bottles in every room. The city had to come THREE TIMES to cut the yard, as it had grown too high.

There are stains on the carpet, cracks in some of the walls....our old neighbors were visibly relieved that we are returning.

I have decided something. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

I feel like I spent 11 thousand dollars this year as i was in Iraq to allow these people to trash my house. It is a slap in the face. My wife's friend was apologetic, but I am still numb at this point. I imagine once the full enormity sinks in, I may very well send them a bill for the damage they did to my house.

In one fell swoop, I am becoming a conservative. If a friend had let me live in their nice house for free, I would have worked my butt off to return the favor. This is just so far beyond anything I have ever seen before, I have no idea where to start.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

I uphold you in every way and am not being the least bit facetous in recommending that you take this to Judge Judy . I think she would return your damages and rip all of them a new a..hole on nationwide TV as a lesson to all .

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

On the one hand, I do not want my life to be a matter of public spectacle. Second...In one weekend I got most of the damage repaired, and quite frankly most of what got done was going to be painted over and such whether it had been messed up or not.

It is just the idea that grown adults could act so irresponsibly. The only thing they did that benefitted me was reluctantly done, as well. The central air unit went out while they were there, and they put their money together and had it replaced. It does work a lot better now.

It just is not worth my time to be angry about it. What is done is done, and lesson learned. I have decided that if I get any bills from the municipality for the lawn work, I will send it to them.

Then if it does not get paid, I will just give my lawyer a little call, and hit them for that PLUS a year of back rent.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

truckinbutch said:
I uphold you in every way and am not being the least bit facetous in recommending that you take this to Judge Judy . I think she would return your damages and rip all of them a new a..hole on nationwide TV as a lesson to all .

(_O_)

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

I am just really angry at the fact that they were basically living large, partying and drinking and have a great time while my wife and I paid nine hundred dollars a month for them to live there.

I had to pay the mortgage anyway, and home insurance on a vacant house is INSANE. However, in retrospect I may have just been better off if no one had lived there at all.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

The thing is, with all the other financial issues I am having right now, I did NOT need to deal with this as well. My poor wife blames herself, and all she did was be a good friend and try to help someone. I had to explain to her today that none of this was her fault, and that her so called friends took advantage of her good nature.

It was one added stress that I did not want to have on my mind. As it is, I am having to find some way to pay for my college books because the school just informed me that they do not disburse financial aid checks until forty five days after semester starts, and I am weeks away from my GI Bill benefits being paid, and that is only if they are paid on time.

I need to MD more, and hopefully find a diamond ring or something.....considering how awful everything else has turned out since I have been home, I have to have some good luck to balance it out here soon. The good thing is that my two MDs are not worth enough money to be at risk to be sold......

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Old Dog said:
truckinbutch said:

(_O_)
Was that directed at me or the other folks ,Thom :tongue3: :tongue3: :thumbsup:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

truckinbutch said:
Old Dog said:
truckinbutch said:

(_O_)
Was that directed at me or the other folks ,Thom :tongue3: :tongue3: :thumbsup:

The other folks

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

We offered to help a family from south Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina, a family of four. We had a house for sale on 5 acres in a small town. "We want to buy it, and I'm disabled and have a large settlement coming. We'll have the purchase final in February." Ok, move in and we'll settle the details later. That was in November.

Two years later, they had no finalization in sight. The "disability" he's counted on he would not pursue because his lawyer was on a welfare type claim; he didn't want to push her, he said. The day came when I said, "Enough!" I was making $650 a month payment on the house and they'd been living in it for over two years, giving very modest payments every 6-8 months ($100-200). I finally challenged them with a move-out date and then they got their gear in action, totally oblivious as to my frustration. We even stood in front of the lawyer's office on the day of ownership-transfer signing, having it out. In the meanwhile, over the past two years, we'd given them a vehicle, which they left on the side of the road to be towed in, which had in it (when I found it on the side of the road) receipts for thousands of dollars in federal aid they'd received. Did they ever pay a dime in rent? No. I was the only person of 6 involved in two households working for a living and making the $650 a month payment on that house and property. I was a fool.

But in the parking lot of the lawyer's office on the day of signing, I "rebilled" them for $5000 in unpaid rent and told them to take it or leave it. Their money came in the form of a check from FEMA for $18,000 more than the price of the house. I tapped into $5,000 of that. They were ticked. But they paid. I still lost several thousand dollars and will never ever "rescue" folks like that again.

On a simpler note, my husband "rescued" a fair maiden in the Houston airport one day. "Please, I just need $100 to get to where I need to go." He's a sap; he gave her $100. Unfortunately, that $100 was money that I'd borrowed on my credit card for him to get to where I was waiting for him where my mother was dying. We paid on that credit card-charged $100 for 3 years. Some folks have no business traveling and interacting with others.

Get smart. Pay attention.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

Panhandlers ask me for money and I offer them work for my money. If they get snippy with me then I give it right back telling them they don't have money because they don't have a life and then I speed walk the other direction.

When I was down and out I worked for the money that I received and never bagged. I don't expect any more or less out of the down and out of people today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread