Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm Rich!

Not really. I cleaned all my clad and took it to the coinstar and ended up with $112 dollars. Not bad, but I had an incident while using the machine. This man came over and started watching me run my clad through the machine and commented on how much there was. He continued to stand there and comment about how much was adding up on the screen. I tried to ignore him but he just kept on. Finally, he walked away but then the lady he was with came over and asked if I couls "spare" some of my change. Now keep in mind I spotted this couple in the parking lot asking people for money. You could determine by their appearance and actions they were trying to get some money to get high. I told the woman, "Lady, if I could spare to give away money, I wouldn't be using this machine." She finally walked away. My wife came to the store with me and was picking up a few things while we were there. While returning to the truck, this same woman approached my wife and asked for money because she was out of gas and pointed to a nice SUV in the parking lot. I told my wife "come on" and continued walking to the truck. At this time I still haven't told my wife about them begging for money. I turn around and my wife is digging in her purse and handed the lady a dollar. When my wife got in the car I told her about this couple. She became angry and called the store as we were leaving and told them about these people making customers uncomfortable in and outside of the store. I hate when these people beg for someone to pay for their drug habit.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Re: I'm Rich!

I hope the store management did something about them. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times we live in. Seems like everyday there are more and more of them.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

In Dallas a panhandler can make three HUNDRED dollars on a good day. A friend that used to work at the homeless shelter was telling me about this, and the fact that all they need is a "peddler's license" and they can beg to their hearts content.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga

Some will try to scam you, I had a guy that needed a ride cause he had a flat. Next thing I know he was asking for 20.00 dollars and he would pay me back. This was after he was in my car I was giving him a ride I guess taking him home. He made it look like this guy had a tire and was charging him 20.00 for it I actually saw this guy calling him on my cell phone and acting like he was talking to him and telling him he was on his way. To make this story short I booted this guy out eventually and he didn't get his money. I will never give anybody a ride again.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's everywhere. I work to fight poverty. Theres plenty of work these people can do. A BUM will be A BUM. nuff said

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I'm rich" I thought you had hit the motherload :D. Good story.

There was one of them sitting by the entrance to the parking lot of WalMart with a big sign of "WORK FOR FOOD" blah blah blah. A friend of mine, in a nice way, stopped and offered the guy a comfortable amount to work for him for a day. He gave my friend the finger, told him to F-off, and went back to sitting there with his sign.

First off, doesn't the sign say "will work for food?" He offered him like $6 an hour and that was back in 1990.

A few months later there was a lady standing there with a sign saying "he is a liar, he will not work for food." A picture of the lady and her sign with the guy sitting a few feet away ended up in the local newspaper.

I have heard all the hard luck stories: I need gas to get home because my child is sick, My wife is in the hospital and I have no way to get there to see her, my car is in impound and they won't release it to me until I collect x-amount....etc....and these are ones that stink of pure 100% cheap wine.

Guess how much money I have given to these lazy losers....NOTHING, NADA, NOT ONE PENNY.

I've given money to legit causes and through my business we donate several services to poor people, but these are genuine people.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Congrats on your coinstar haul!

I work at a grocery store and we have been getting more than the norm of folks asking our customers for money. The customers come in and complain and we go out and tell them that they are not authorized to solicit. Some will try to give excuses, some just walk away.

Our latest was a teen on a bicylce. I was leaving the store for the day and saw this kid walking around the cars, sitting on their hoods, watching people go to their cars and then he would approach them. I did not feel comfortable watching this kid around the cars. I did not know if he was trying to break into them or what....that was why I was going in to tell the Grocery Manager, until the customers came up to me...

As I was going back in the store, a couple of customers complained and I told them I was taking care of it. Told our Grocery Manager, who came out. He is a very tall, built man. All he did was walk outside and that kid hopped on his bike and hauled butt! LOL

This past Fall, we had this guy come in daily. He had a cast on his leg (full leg cast), with crutches. He had been in the store many times. I never noticed him, but my fellow employees knew him as a regular customer who was always clean shaven, dressed well, etc. He would use the mobilized cart, buy some food, go to the customer seating area and eat his meal. He would come in for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When real cold out, he stayed longer at the seating area, but most of the time he would sit outside the store, well away from the entrance. He never bothered anyone. After awhile he would look so shabby, grubby, dirty and stunk!!! About 2 months later, he was no longer in the cast. Just around Christmas time, he came in, clean shaven, new clothes. He sat down to lunch. It was my lunch time and I went to eat. I sat at the table next to him. I'm a friendly sort and love talking to folks, so I said my 'Hello' to him. He showed me the watch he was given from the church. He told me how everyone at the church was so nice to him and helped. He told me about the job they got for him and how he was also going to help at the shelter because of all the nice people who helped him. I did not wish to pry into his personal life as to why he was in that situation. Well, he's come in since then from time to time....well dressed, clean, smelling good :), seems happy now. I approached one of my fellow employees and she told me that one of her friends got him a job. Her friend volunteers at the shelter he was at. Her friend told her that he lost his job and his home (never a mention of a wife or kids) due to his leg injury. I don't know what job he did, why he lost his job or how he injured his leg, but I thought that was a very nice thing for her to do. He was not a druggie or alcoholic, he was a man who just got down on his luck and bounced back! Those are the stories I like to hear.

I DO NOT give to anyone on the corners, in front of stores, etc....I give to charities that assist folks. If you want help, go to one of those places I donate to!!

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I had one encounted on the NJ Turnpike at a rest stop, gave a guy $10.00 to get him home, supposedly. I went in and got something to eat, came back out and watched this guy work for about 15 minutes. He got money from three others while I watched in amazement! I guess he is the lowest of all treasure hunters!
I will never do that again! I thought about it and I wonder if this guy sees a wallet with a wad of cash in it what would he do then??

Becareful my friends!

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Theres pro's at there when it comes to scamming people, I'm glad your wife called, the store to alert them!
Nice bunch of clad you rounded up!!

HH Joe (Finman)

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

Now, to give another side to this....When I lived in Shreveport, LA I was on my way back to the college (Centenary) in my junked car and saw this disheveled man in a ripped flannel shirt carrying a gas can down the side of the interstate. It was starting to rain, and in Louisiana, that is no joke. SO I stopped, and the guy got in. He asked if I could take him up to the gas station so he could get gas, as his father's truck had run out as he was taking it into town to pick up a lawnmower, which is why he had the gas can in the first place. Typical sob story, right?

Well, we get to the gas station, and he had forgotten his wallet. Of course. So I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound, and paid for his five dollars worth of gas. (This was 95, so that was about five gallons, lol).

We got back to the truck, and he gave me one of his business cards to write my address on so he could send me the money back. It said he was the VP of one of the larger banks in the Shreveport area. I figured sure, whatever and I am the pope. So I gave him my parents address, and forgot all about it.

That Christmas, I got a package in the mail with no return address. It contained a very nice Arrow white button up shirt with a crisp hundred dollar bill in the pocket and a note saying Thank you for the ride and the gas. Sometimes human beings are not ALL cruddy scammers!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Libralabsoldier said:
Now, to give another side to this....When I lived in Shreveport, LA I was on my way back to the college (Centenary) in my junked car and saw this disheveled man in a ripped flannel shirt carrying a gas can down the side of the interstate. It was starting to rain, and in Louisiana, that is no joke. SO I stopped, and the guy got in. He asked if I could take him up to the gas station so he could get gas, as his father's truck had run out as he was taking it into town to pick up a lawnmower, which is why he had the gas can in the first place. Typical sob story, right?

Well, we get to the gas station, and he had forgotten his wallet. Of course. So I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound, and paid for his five dollars worth of gas. (This was 95, so that was about five gallons, lol).

We got back to the truck, and he gave me one of his business cards to write my address on so he could send me the money back. It said he was the VP of one of the larger banks in the Shreveport area. I figured sure, whatever and I am the pope. So I gave him my parents address, and forgot all about it.

That Christmas, I got a package in the mail with no return address. It contained a very nice Arrow white button up shirt with a crisp hundred dollar bill in the pocket and a note saying Thank you for the ride and the gas. Sometimes human beings are not ALL cruddy scammers!

That's a very nice story...thanks for sharing! Puts faith back in folks, don't it? Arrow shirts...that is the ONLY shirt my granddaddy wored, white, long sleeved, all year long! Your kindess to a stranger came back three fold! :)

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

And consider that at the time, I am sure he was just as afraid of me, considering I had long hair, several piercings, and a ratty, junky car. He probably thought I was going to hit him up for money myself or start doing drugs in front of him! He was probably trying to help "clean me up" for the job market.....:P

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer

that is alot of clad...........time to go to chuck e cheese's with the kids! ........well if you have any

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could anybody spare $20.00 for a cup of coffee? M :wink: nty

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector

THATS THE BIGGEST CON. WHEN I HAVE SOMEONE ASK FOR MONEY OR GAS BECAUSE THERE AWAY FROM HOME, I TELL THEM LET ME CALL THE POLICE THEY WOULD GLADLY HELP THEM.. THEN YOU WILL NOTICE THEY LEAVE IN A HURRY...... AS A RETIRED COP. DONT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH TRASH LIKE THAT.... GET A DANG JOB :angry5:

taz in omaha ne

Mar 15, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White's XLT E-Series Metal Detector + Garrett MH ADS-7 + Garrett GTA-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's Sad But True that some people just won't do anything to better themselfs and take the Easy way out.
I drive a Semi "18 wheeler" an you would not believe just how many folks try that Im Stranded,Im Hungry,Im Broke scam around here. Seems there is allways one or two on a Interstate Ramp near a Truck Stop that do that. Well im not rich but the moment i offer to get them some food it allways turns into " Oh i would rather have the money so i can get it when im hungry " Hmmm ? Ya holding a sign that says your Hungry but you don't want Food Now..That tells the tall right there. :coffee2:

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California

We have a lot of Chinese merchants in my home town and they will post
photographs of panhandlers in their stores along with texts of their "stories".

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey! We've all got a drug habit! Be it sugar, nicotene, alcohol, scripts for back pain, etc....I beg my wife to pic up my drug of choice, caffeine, every time she goes grocerey shopping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread