Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Chris

Feb 2007
    Western Washington
    Minelab E-Trak
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Old Furniture "yard sale treasure"

My wife and I got this at a yard sale and thought nothing of it until a friend noticed the dove tailing on the drawers and started looking at it more scrutinizing. Can anyone tell me relative age, value of this piece? It is 5'6' long, 21 inches wide and 36 high. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	288132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	288133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table3.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	288134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table4.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	288135  

ca
    Likely, B.C.

Aug 2008
    Quesnel Forks, Autumn Festival ca. 1895
    1 times

Re: Old Furniture "yard sale treasure"

Any manufacturer's marks? Look up on the bottom panel, backside, inside or under the drawers.
    "It's a quest. It's a quest for fun, I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun, we're all gonna have so much #!@*^& fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our %$#@ smiles!" - Clark Griswold, National Lampoon's 'Family Vacation'.

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    38 times

Wouldn't know federal from vic to country but it's a beautiful piece and that construction looks very fine.

Jul 2005
    Napoleon MI 49201
    Garrett
    20 times

78 years ago my mother had one almost like it and it was inherited then. Bob

us
    Apr 2006
    northeast Wisconsin
    Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
    7 times

Dovetails look hand cut from the photo - would indicate that it is not likely a production piece.

On the other hand, the scroll work and turnings look too identical and symmetrical (in the photo at least) for hand-carved, so I doubt it goes back past the mid 1800's.

Would guess at least as old as the late 1800's / very early 1900's though.

Diggem'
    Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!

us
    Mar 2009
    46 times
    The sideboard is not that old. I have refinished alot of this type. They were made from 1920- 1950 and were made by alot Mfg. I would say the dove tails are machine made and the carving are press wood type. the vaule is $50 to $150 at a yard sale and $200 TO $600 at a nice Ant. store. If you had the matching table and chairs then value can go way up. You did find a nice sideboard. now go out and find the rest. Bill

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    In the early 20th century (1910-1930) these were the bee's knees. My wife and I had one in our parlor back in 1973. As mentioned by another poster they pretty much went out of style by the 50's. The reason being in part due to the same reason why 0 gauge electric train sets eventually dwindled in interest---shrinking homes. Gone were the parlors and parlor furniture.

These show up in thrift shops and the like from time to time. Most sell for about $100 if in excellent condition. But the maker is the whole ballgame with most anything. If some important company or person made it, it could be worth a lot.

Very nice find
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors