Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a dime; call someone who cares about fraudulent coin passing

MOUNT PLEASANT -- Bad pennies keep returning, and in this case, the person passing off pennies for dimes is still returning.
Mount Pleasant police are investigating two more cases of someone turning in fraudulent rolls of coins. The recent incidents occurred at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at Firstbank, 2013 S. Mission, and at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday at Chemical Bank, 1908 S. Mission.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said a man on Friday morning made the exchange for cash at the Isabella Bank, 1876 N. Winn in Nottawa Township, and at Pol's Market, 2921 W. Coleman in Gilmore Township.

In each instance, a dime was at each end of the roll, but inside were pennies.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2009/04/heres_a_dime_call_someone_who.html

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Re: Here's a dime; call someone who cares about fraudulent coin passing

Hmmmmmmmmm thats about an hour north of me.

Thanks for the story Jeff!

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007

The things people will do

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

HMMMM

$15 theft accepted by bank tellers who can't tell a roll of pennies from dimes just by the weight.

$100's of dollars for man hours of police, bank employees being interviewed, going through surveillance tapes to release a picture of the hard core bank robber.

I wouldn't spit out gum on the sidewalk of this town, Barney Fife might be waiting around the corner...

Jeff, did you flip a coin(penny or dime) to see if this belongs in Everything else or comedy central??

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

utah hunter said:
HMMMM

$15 theft accepted by bank tellers who can't tell a roll of pennies from dimes just by the weight.

$100's of dollars for man hours of police, bank employees being interviewed, going through surveillance tapes to release a picture of the hard core bank robber.

I wouldn't spit out gum on the sidewalk of this town, Barney Fife might be waiting around the corner...

Jeff, did you flip a coin(penny or dime) to see if this belongs in Everything else or comedy central??

The one Local store here puts them on thir meat scale
Before accepting them.
Most stores & Banks make you put a Phone Number on them
(This can be faked too though)

My bank only accepts loose change.

I Always Flip between Comedy Central & Everything else :P

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Krogers POS terminals actually have a function to weigh the rolls & can actually tell if the roll is as much as one coin short. That being said, I've only run across 2 tellers or front end managers that even know the function is there :icon_scratch:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That scam goes way back.

Knew a shadey character that got busted doing just that. Charge was Theft by Deception.

Al

B

BIG61AL

HMMM - if that bank is insured by the government, FDIC I think, any thefts could fall under Federal law which are much more severe than state laws. There are no paroles or probation for federal crimes. It would be real stupid to get a 15 year sentence for less than $5 theft.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not to mention having a federal record, there goes your job searches for the rest of your days ;D or being able to have any kind of account with that bank again. Guess the old proverb applies "Don't poo where you eat"

Then again........... I'd probably write to Obumma and see if he'd bail me out! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread