Property lines and privacy fences... Texas law

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
A friend of mine has a house that he let go to heck in Austin over the past 10 years. Trees are all over grown, hedges are now trees, an weeds are now hedges. He got a letter from the city that stated a few things that need to be taken care of, including all the weeds and tree trimming, but my real question is regarding the back yard privacy fence that divides the property between his backyard, and the neighbor that called the city on him in the first place. The letter from the city said "Repair or replace the fence". But, the fence is pretty much already taken down and removed, only a slight portion remains. So I think he would just be able to remove the fence entirely, and not have a fence at all. The fence is on his property and put up by his grandfather long ago.

Is he required to replace the fence, or can he just remove the fence entirely. Surely there's no law saying you have to have one in the first place, or there would be a lot of home owners in Texas in trouble. I'm guessing the neighbor somehow influenced his own wording into the letter from the city of Austin, telling him he needs to replace or repair it. I told him to call the investigator tomorrow, but I wanted to get opinions first...

-Mike

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
texastee2007 said:
Sorry, I don't know the law in Texas....in California if a pool is involved then a fence must be around it with a lock...is there a pool?

No pool, no animals. In fact, the fence has been 'open' for a few years.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I generally get ALL BENT OUT OF SHAPE over code enforcement people.

I can't recommend it. ;D

Have your friend call the issuing office first thing monday morn, ask for the person who wrote the citation, and ask nicely what they would like to see done.

You can meet their needs, or take it a bit further with more questions, at a later date.

Always best to use the EASY button... at least to start with!

Best
rmptr

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
If the fence is on his property he should be able to remove it completely without any problems. I don't know what the ordinance laws are in your area though. We put up a privacy fence backwards, good side facing us, and even though the ordinance in our town states it has to be put up the other way we have never had a problem.

Sue

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me who owned the property. I would take the old fence down, haul it off to the dump and just wait to see what happens next!

Kevin Roe

Greenie
Mar 24, 2013
New York,USA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me who owned the property. I would take the old fence down, haul it off to the dump and just wait to see what happens next!

What you would be do if it will be against to the laws and how you would be having to face the things. Might be there are strict rules against the distortion.I will suggest that it is a good thing to get concern with the laws and do according to the rules.

Please make me suggestions and visit:
conveyancing solicitor

Last edited:

Albert22

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its mention above that there is no law against that than why you are worried about to call the investigator.I think if you feeling confused than contact with a solicitor that will help you better that what to do and what things you need for investigation.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In Oregon, if the neighbor wants to fence your adjoining property, you get to pay for half of it. Used to be, don't know about now, but the property owners walked up to the line at the center of their joint properties, and all the fence on each persons right belonged to them and construction and repairs were their responsibility. My neighbor built a fence and I offered to pay for half, and he turned me down, said he was the one wanting the fence. The proper thing is to share. If it was me, I'd take the fence down, and then if the neighbor wanted one, I wouldn't say anything unless he built it and presented me with half the bill. Otherwise you might luck out and he'll build the entire thing. Or if the county is going to force the issue, then inform the neighbor that he owns half the fence, cough up some cash, sweat or both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread