antler carvings

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Deer Elk Moose shed annually their antlers annually. Most of the time you will find both sheds within about 300 yards. . Most bucks shed both antlers the same day. If the bucks don?t get chased or spooked, the second shed will not be far. It also depends upon bucks feeding and water patterns. The farther that buck travels to and from feed and water, the farther apart the sheds can be.

The best place to find sheds is simple. You have to watch the deer at shedding time. If you know where a buck is before opening morning, the better the chance you will get him. If you are watching a buck at shedding time, the sheds will be much simpler to find. Bucks start shedding in January in the northern states. The farther that you go South the later bucks will begin shedding. In Old Mexico bucks don?t start shedding until March.

Younger bucks and bulls usually will shed last.
Antlers usually drop when the deer are moving. Look around fence lines and gulches- jumping and bounding will jar the antlers loose.
If you find a single side, start searching in a 100 yard radius. This usually will give you enough area to find the other side.
Keep a log of time and dates for specific deer. Deer will usually drop about the same time each year.
Sheds that you find will give you a good idea of what caliber of bucks are in the area and what survived last falls hunts.
Practice ethical shed collecting when out on the winter range- do not push or put unnecessary pressure on the animals. This will lead to an early death while the deer and elk are trying to survive the winter.

OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
yep, she said it best. I started out by picking them up in the spring. However..since I seem to be using alot lately, I order them from deer farms.

OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
metal detector....wish i knew how to take a good close up pic

Attachments

• metal detector2.JPG
    metal detector2.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 393

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey nice work obs,I too am a carver of antler's(check out my bass,"smallest antler shed" on this page).I also use the dremel,key tool.If you don't use them,try purchasing a set of micro file's,they do excellent clean up work to smooth everything out.I use a sharp mini chisel to shave detailed area's also.I'll try and post some of my other pic's soon,cool looking stuff!!HHoliday's

Attachments

• fish.JPG
    fish.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 364
OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
i'll learn how to take a good close up pic sooner or later...this is supposed to be a baby fox

Attachments

• baby.JPG
    baby.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 372

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
skydiv,,,,if the rack is pretty symetrical you might send it to boone and crockett...buddy found an old one like you, sent it in, and they sent him a check for 150.00, a years subscription to a hunting mag, two nice hunting knives with sheaths and a case pocketknife.............obs, care to try your art out on a set of grips for my derringer ? if so let me know and i will send the set i have for sizing,....maybe a skull and crossbones, or something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gldhntr

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W O W ! That's some talent you have there Obs ! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Huntin' 59er

OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
well, after taking a break from carving for the holidays, I got back into it. heres a couple pics.

Attachments

• feathers.JPG
    feathers.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 355
  • PICT0003(Small).JPG
    PICT0003(Small).JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 349
OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
first attempt at a cameo-can you guess who it is supposed to be?

Attachments

• who is it.JPG
    who is it.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 296

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome carvings. Loved them all. :)

OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
Howdy folks, just wanted let everyone know I'm back. I was away for the last couple months on a fire detail. I was down in maryland doing proscribed burns and fighting wildfires. Well, It's good to be home. I will dust off my tools and get to work on some more carvings. Hoping i'll have some ready soon that I can show off. I'm still just a beginner at this, but folks have started to contact me to do custom pieces for them. Makes me feel proud that ya guys like my work.
-obs

OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie
Apr 12, 2005
some new pics
day one is the first picture, and the next pic is the end of the process. This one is in marble.

Attachments

• newface.JPG
    newface.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 214
  • newface6.JPG
    newface6.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 208
OP
OP
O

obs

Greenie