A stranger with a metal detector recovers the wedding ring

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
at fist when i saw this in the news this am i wondered if it was Tnets own "willied"
but its not!!! but still a local guy!

PORT RICHEY

The grass around the bus stop bench was thick and overgrown, the long blades scratching Mary Marzec's legs. So with one brisk motion, the 88-year-old woman swatted the grass away from her knees — and accidentally flung her wedding ring into the field along Embassy Boulevard. The diamond-studded gold ring, which Mrs. Marzec had worn for nearly 60 years, had loosened as her fingers shrank with age. Now she was on her knees, patting the earth, praying to find her ring. She went into a nearby Chevron station and borrowed a pair of scissors. Then she got back on her knees and chopped away at the grass, crying, hoping. But she couldn't find it.

"My husband said, 'Come on, let's go home. I'll buy you another one,' " Mrs. Marzec recalled. "I said, 'I'm not going until I find my ring!' "

• • •

Mary and Ed Marzec led parallel lives for years before they'd met.

Both were born in Detroit to Polish parents. Both went back to the old country as small children. Both returned to America in 1937, two years before Hitler invaded Poland.

Mary was 19, living with her sister in New York City, when a mutual friend introduced her to Ed, a laborer who was four years her senior.

Four months later they married.

"My sister said, 'What are you doing? You don't know how to cook. You don't know how to do anything,' " Mrs. Marzec said. "But I said, 'Don't worry, Ed knows how to cook.' "

Life together was simple and frugal. Two years into the marriage, when Mary was pregnant with her first son, Ed's weekly pay got bumped up from $29 to $31.

"He carried me up two flights of stairs" to the apartment, Mrs. Marzec remembered. "We were so happy with $2."

In time the couple had two sons: Richard and Bob. Ed cut their hair and pulled their teeth. Mary made their clothes.

"We never felt poor," she said. "The boys went to Catholic school. The rent was paid. We always had food on the table."

For 12 years, Mary wore the plain gold band that Ed had given her on their wedding day. But when she got a job as a seamstress working alongside other women with flashier rings, she wanted a nicer ring for herself. And why not?

"I was working," she said. They could afford it.

So they bought a double-gold band that framed 15 small diamonds in diamond-shaped settings. It was pretty, not showy.

And that ring stayed on her finger over the years — as she fed countless bolts of material through the sewing machines for famed New York designer Adolfo, as she sewed the red coat and hat that Nancy Reagan wore at her husband's first inauguration, as she knitted blankets and welcomed grandchildren and great-grandchildren and buried a son — until it sailed off her finger a few months ago at the Embassy Boulevard bus stop just east of U.S. 19.

• • •

A sheriff's deputy happened by the gas station that afternoon and saw Mrs. Marzec frantically searching for her ring. In his pocket was the business card for George Kollmer, a treasure hunting enthusiast who owns a couple of metal detectors.

Kollmer, 75, came out to the field with his trusty Teknetics 7700B coin computer. A dial on the metal detector indicates whether the item below is, say, a dime, a quarter — or a ring.

"It's 99 percent right," said Kollmer, a retired auto mechanic who lives in Port Richey. "It's never failed me."

The Marzecs had already left — they had to catch their bus back to their Port Richey home — when Kollmer arrived. He asked the gas station clerk where the ring had been lost, and the attendant waved out toward the bus stop bench.

In a patch of overgrown grass between the sidewalk and a utilities box, Kollmer's detector got a hit for a ring.

"Within 10 minutes," he said, "I had it in my hand."

He called Mrs. Marzec, then drove straight to their house with the ring.

Mrs. Marzec was in tears, and pressed $50 into Kollmer's hand.

The ring from her finger belonged with her heart.

"If you promise yourself to someone," she said, "that's for life."

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, THAT IS CRAZY!!! I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THAT IS.

It's not far from my house. Cool story

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i saw this in the paper this am.... i thought for sure it was you!!!
im gonna find this guy... and see if he knows any good places to Md around us!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Channel 10 news was filming at the bench when I came home. Expect to see it at 11:00.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some searching on the net and found George Kollmer. It turns out I've actually met him about a year ago. I delivered some furniture to him and his wife. I remembered he was wearing a Fisher detector t-shirt. I brought up the subject of metal detecting and he quickly changed the subject to politics. He's quite the character.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is awesome. A great news story that puts the hobby in great light for the community to see. Someone buy that man a beer/coffee please.

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really willie? hmm... i wonder why

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody try to get him to join Tnet!!!
Scott

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Somebody try to get him to join Tnet!!!
Scott

im on that! but hes old... and hes not very computer savvy i dont think! boooo hooooooo!
wait... i dont know him! maybe hes already here!?

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
K*E*L*L*Y said:
really willie? hmm... i wonder why
Maybe he had just had a bad metal detecting accident and didn't want to think about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread