Micro$loth Finds Way to Introduce Security Flaws From IE into Firefox

S

Smee

TheGeek.com said:
This update adds to Firefox one of the most dangerous vulnerabilities present in all versions of Internet Explorer: the ability for websites to easily and quietly install software on your PC. Since this design flaw is one of the reasons you may’ve originally chosen to abandon IE in favor of a safer browser like Firefox, you may wish to remove this extension with all due haste.

It gets worse than that, however, as Microsoft decided to disable the uninstall option for the add-on. So you can’t remove it without going through a complicated series of steps also listed on Annoyances.org. You can choose to disable it though, which is the next best option.

Basically, it inserts Internet Explorer's BIGGEST WEAKNESS into Firefox. The "Windows Antivirus 2009" (smitfraud) exploits this vulnerability, among other spyware, adware, and viruses.

You can find removal instructions here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600

Hope this helps.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
I think I'm semi safe sort of because I don't go to bad websites :3some: :whip2: ....
often ;D

OP
OP
S

Smee

jlb783 said:
I think I'm semi safe sort of because I don't go to bad websites :3some: :whip2: ....
often ;D

You don't have to go to BAD websites, only INFECTED websites.

Firefox has previously been safe because when a website wanted to "install" software quietly in the background WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION, Firefox did not allow it. This prevents many malware and viral infections every day.

The truth is, Micro$loth is losing market share to Firefox because it is so much more SECURE than Exploder (Internet Explorer). The only way to reverse it would involve FIXING Exploder or screwing with Firefox. Micro$loth chose the latter.

How could they do that? They wrote the Operating $y$tem, and they control what runs under it. Micro$loth is also installing Digital Right$ Management software as an "Extension" for Firefox. After doing the .net update, Micro$loth had twice installed DRM software in my Firefox browser before the underhanded scheme was found out.

I guess Bill's boys figure that if you can't do it better, then screw with the guy who does. Don't get better, bring others DOWN to your level.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Smee said:
jlb783 said:
often ;D

You don't have to go to BAD websites, only INFECTED websites.

Firefox has previously been safe because when a website wanted to "install" software quietly in the background WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION, Firefox did not allow it. This prevents many malware and viral infections every day.

The truth is, Micro$loth is losing market share to Firefox because it is so much more SECURE than Exploder (Internet Explorer). The only way to reverse it would involve FIXING Exploder or screwing with Firefox. Micro$loth chose the latter.

How could they do that? They wrote the Operating $y$tem, and they control what runs under it. Micro$loth is also installing Digital Right$ Management software as an "Extension" for Firefox. After doing the .net update, Micro$loth had twice installed DRM software in my Firefox browser before the underhanded scheme was found out.

I guess Bill's boys figure that if you can't do it better, then screw with the guy who does. Don't get better, bring others DOWN to your level.
I know but I never go to websites I think might possibly be infected and I rarely go to any websites other than here, yahoo, facebook, gunbroker, and sometimes ebay.

OP
OP
S

Smee

jlb783 said:
I know but I never go to websites I think might possibly be infected and I rarely go to any websites other than here, yahoo, facebook, gunbroker, and sometimes ebay.

Facebook will do it all by itself. You're at the mercy of all the special little addons they may have on their pages.

My space is even worse.

But that's ok. Just thought I would let folks know.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Smee said:
jlb783 said:

Facebook will do it all by itself. You're at the mercy of all the special little addons they may have on their pages.

My space is even worse.

But that's ok. Just thought I would let folks know.

Yep, facebook/myspace addon-crap kills your puter dead. :thumbsup:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
jlb783 said:
Smee said:
jlb783 said:
Well I have AVG Free Edition, so I am safe.
;D

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Nope, sorry. not safe

Well...

blah

What Smee is trying to say (between guffaws) is that in reality, you need a good combination of software, know how to use that software properly (many just load it up and expect it to "work", nothing could be further from the truth) and use diligence/common sense while browsing the net.
(everybody is the one millionth customer to that site, do not click on that cool flashing icon, you didn't win.)

Without following the above, it would be only a matter of time before you get hit with something very undesirable. :wink:

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Blacksheep said:
jlb783 said:
Smee said:
jlb783 said:
Well I have AVG Free Edition, so I am safe.
;D

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Nope, sorry. not safe

Well...

blah

What Smee is trying to say (between guffaws) is that in reality, you need a good combination of software, know how to use that software properly (many just load it up and expect it to "work", nothing could be further from the truth) and use diligence/common sense while browsing the net.
(everybody is the one millionth customer to that site, do not click on that cool flashing icon, you didn't win.)

Without following the above, it would be only a matter of time before you get hit with something very undesirable. :wink:
I know, I was just kidding.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked my FF add-ons and nothing like that is there. I do the regular auto updates.

Will keep an eye out for it though. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The aforementioned virus "windows 2009" attaches itself to links. Any links. Anywhere. Easy as pie to get and tough to get rid of completely. Sorry to hear of the demise of Firefox. Which update is the bad one?

OP
OP
S

Smee

Jeffro said:
The aforementioned virus "windows 2009" attaches itself to links. Any links. Anywhere. Easy as pie to get and tough to get rid of completely. Sorry to hear of the demise of Firefox. Which update is the bad one?

It isn't a Firefox update. (You should never find it under Linux) It is a Windows .NET update. If you use .NET, and many web applications will no longer work without it, the next time you update, you will become infected.

It DOES NOT always show up in your addons, you have to find it in the registry. If you are infected, you will also need to check for Micro$loth's other addon for Firefox --- Micro$loth's DRM Plugin.

Just use the link above in the first post, follow the instructions, and you can easily remove it. Then, in my case, I could see the DRM plugin. Don't like the idea of someone telling me how many times I can make a copy of a CD for my truck, or what I can put on a DVD (I do sometimes create slideshow DVDs, or animations).

When Bill Gates or whoever (gubment?) starts paying for my computer and giving me the software to use on it, then they can tell me how to use my machine. I'll listen all the way to the top of the bridge I drop it from. Until then, as long as I'm not breaking the law, it's my damned computer and I'll use it how I like.

And as for the sleazy little geeks in Redmond --- If I wanted your crap, I'd be sure to ask for it. Until I do, keep it for your zombies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread