Billy Mays dead at 50.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
The FAA is already deflecting blame for the death of Billy Mays -- claiming the legendary TV pitchman wasn't wearing a seat belt when he took a shot to the head during a rough landing on a flight he was on yesterday.

Here's what we know -- Billy Mays was aboard US Airways Flight 1241 flying from Philadelphia, which landed roughly when the front tire blew out as it touched down. After the flight, Billy told FOX 13 in Tampa that something struck him in the head -- here's Billy's actual quote:

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We called the FAA for comment, and a spokesperson told us, "The passenger needs to wear a seat belt during landing and he didn't."
TMZ has confirmed TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead today in his home in Tampa, Florida early this morning.

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

TMZ has learned Mays' body has already been removed from his home.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

Billy's wife Deborah just released the following statement: "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW!

Who is next? I mean, everything happens in threes. Within a week, 4 have died. Two were 50, one at 62 and one at 86. Does this mean a 62 yr old and an 86 yr old will leave us before Tuesday?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no clue who Billy Mays was, now that I "googled" I know.

5_61_062809_mays1.jpg

It has been a bad week of deaths...my friend's husband passed on Thurs, he was 62. :'(

RR

Attachments

• 5_61_062809_mays1.jpg
    5_61_062809_mays1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 192
C

Cappy Z.

I just started watching his new show Pitchmen...and wow..nows he's ..gone.

Nice guy. And only 50.

Carpe Diem

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea who he was either . As I was googling him a few minuets ago - he was on tv selling a "Big City Sliders" hamburger machine . We have some Oxy-Clean , It works pretty good .

I always liked his commercials , a very enthusiastic person .

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The airline will blame the flight atendant next then maintence for the luggage racks next! Seat belt you need a hardhat!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
I certainly understand the blame game when it comes to aircraft accidents. When I was in the USAF, we had to C-141Bs collide in mid-air over Montana. I was working Graveyard Shift that evening. When I came in at 2300 for work...the word was that Avionics had worked an Auto-Pilot malfunction on one of the incident aircraft.
I immediately raised the BS flag, because the Auto-Pilot isn't used during refuel...all a hands on procedure...one of the A/C was out of position--the other (#2) banked too hard during the breakaway...inducing a slip and placing him in position below the other A/C(#1).
They both lost sight of each other and #2 pitched up into #1...#1 came apart...#2 lost three engines and broke apart at about 10K AGL. Very sad event...until they can put a super-validity circuit in the seatbelt latches...no one will know for sure whether he had his belt fastenend or not.

T

trish76642

I hate that...

Wonder if his plane incident had anything to do with it? Surely not, but ya never know....

And just how does a seat belt protect someone from things falling from above you ?

Exactly!....I agree!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I am sorry to hear it .
I have never been inclined to listen to anyone who felt it necessary to yell at me to get a point across.
When he came on I would mute the TV and get a cuppa. His voice just irritated me no end.
But He is the third if you are working the "three at a time" theory.
Farra Fawcet, Mike Jackson, Billy Mays. and MD Dog for good measure.
I will seriously miss MD Dog.

Should be a break in the cycle for a while, if you believe in "threes".
I don't I lost 11 in a years time last year, this could go on for a while.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Old Dog said:
I am sorry to hear it .
I have never been inclined to listen to anyone who felt it necessary to yell at me to get a point across.
When he came on I would mute the TV and get a cuppa. His voice just irritated me no end.
But He is the third if you are working the "three at a time" theory.
Farra Fawcet, Mike Jackson, Billy Mays. and MD Dog for good measure.
I will seriously miss MD Dog.

Should be a break in the cycle for a while, if you believe in "threes".
I don't I lost 11 in a years time last year, this could go on for a while.

Billy Mays is the 4th....within the week.

You had Ed McMahon (Tues morning), then Farrah and MJ on the same day (Thurs) and Billy Mays on Sun.

So, that is what I was saying above, are we going to expect two more celebs this week...since I too believe it happens in threes?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
There seems to only be one constant factor to these major losses.
They all seem to happen durring the seasonal changes.
these took place durring the Spring to Summer season change.

I used to think they happen in groups of three,
but last year threw a Big personal clinker at me.
Don't let it get you down, depression is a very hard thing to overcome.
It was for me anyway.

Thom

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Old Dog said:
There seems to only be one constant factor to these major losses.
They all seem to happen durring the seasonal changes.
these took place durring the Spring to Summer season change.

I used to think they happen in groups of three,
but last year threw a Big personal clinker at me.
Don't let it get you down, depression is a very hard thing to overcome.
It was for me anyway.

Thom

Never paid much mind to the seasonal changes...hmmm? You might have something there. Just always believed it happened in three's.

Depressed? Me? :dontknow: Oh heck no... sad to see them all pass at such young ages, but life goes on. Yes, Ed McMahon was a youngin' too! ;)

I'm just so very happy, cause I have been 4 days, 13 hrs and 23 mins SMOKE FREE!!! Who can be depressed with that achievement! :icon_thumright: ;D :hello2: :headbang: :laughing9:

Have a Blessed Day!
AM

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Congrats on the quitting.
Should get easier from here on out.
Dealing with the mental things that go with smoking will be the thing to beat from here on out.
congrats again and keep me posted.

Thom

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a closet full of Billy's products! Some work pretty good but some are real losers. Shows what a good pitch man he was. I am the world's worst sceptic! He had a TV show about what he did for a living that I saw just few weeks ago. Really interesting stuff. RIP Monty

K

Kentucky Kache

Old Dog said:
I am sorry to hear it .

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, that's the sort of thing that makes you famous these days. Still, it's sad he had to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread