Chiggers!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's summer and summer always brings chiggers. Those annoying, aggravating, almost invisible little demons that can ruin an outdoor activity. Do you have remedies or precautions?
When I go out, I sprinkle a little bit of sulfur in each sock before I put them on. You can get flowers of sulphur from your druggist. I use an old plastic spice container with the shake holes. Perhaps not everybody is tolerant of sulphur, but it works for me! :thumbsup:
Scott

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jul/14/watch-out-chiggers-ready-and-waiting/

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Rub sulfer powder anywhere your clothing is tight and on the lower legs. The chiggers hate it ! Jim

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chiggers are the most dangerous animal on the face of the earth, for if they were as big as a dog they would eat a man plumb up. Hot weather makes them disappear. If I remember to use it, most any insect repellant applied liberaly keeps them away. We used to rub coal oil on the bites, and that seemed to help a little.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma use to put coal oil on a rag and tie it around my ankles when we went blackberry picking. My ankles were not bitten but my waist and armpits and other unmentionable places were eaten up! I don't think I've ever seen a chigger but I sure have felt them! Now I use Cutter's sprayed liberally around any opening in the clothing and it does work. Keeps ticks off too. Monty

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get rid of these little boggers by buying you some D.E., dieatmitous earth and sprinkle it in /on your yard.( not sure about that spelling,just ask for some D-earth at your nursery)

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
This is going to seem really weird coming from a Jarhead. But in NC out in the woods a lot of us used pantyhose to keep the chiggers off and the ticks. While I was there a Marine was taken in for an infestation of ticks. The Corpsman stopped counting after 250 ticks and they barley started removing them...

Needless to say, that convinced me... Never had any on the lower extremities...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But did you find yourself getting the urge to decorate the barracs? :laughing9:
Just kidding. I doubt anyone has the guts to call either you are Joe Namath a sissy!
Monty

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
But did you find yourself getting the urge to decorate the barracs? :laughing9:
Just kidding. I doubt anyone has the guts to call either you are Joe Namath a sissy!
Monty
I might have, when I was in the army, just to wrestle someone in pantyhose! ;D
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread