Virgin Area permission to hunt, finally!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got permission to hunt a virgin site that covers several acres. It is outside the production area of a large refinery that has been in operation on and off since before statehood, 1907. The area is a couple of private streets where housing was furnished by the company to their corporate heads and executives. They sold off the houses and had them moved out instead of torn down. That should mean less trash to have to contend with. There is also a large "athletic" field where a man's baseball team use to play and practice back in the 20s and 30s before the war. This use ceased when so many of their players got drafted. When not being use by their baseball team they held company picnics and small carnivals on the property. They tell me I can keep anything I find but they want to see my finds. Curiosity I hope, but if they want to keep some old item used in the oil business for display I would have no objections. They assure me it has never been hunted because it has always been behind a security gate and guard posted on the entrance. I know this is too big an area just for me to hunt alone so I am going to get better acquainted on my subsequent visits and see if I can get permission to have at least one other person help me out. Sorry, I have already promised that job to another person here on Tnet, assuming I can get them on. I plan to make my initial hunt Monday the 20th and mostly just scout out the layout of the place, and perhaps do some coin shooting in obvious place. Weather cooperating, I should have some a few finds to post next week....... or not! Monty

K

Kentucky Kache

Baseball field from the 20s and 30s, picnic and carnival area. That sound like a prime spot. Congrats to you and the guy/gal hunting with you.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job getting permission M :) nty !

Looks like you are going to be busy for quite awhile on that project. I am looking forward to seeing your finds. Now I'm getting a little jealous too, but you did all the research and you deserve to be rewarded for all that effort.

You just gave me an Idea :sign13:
I need to do a little research, but I believe I may be able to come up with a similar area to yours that is within only 50 miles of me.

Thanks,
GG~

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent targets are hard to come by here near a big city with a couple of hundred club members hitting all the parks and schools. I get tired of just coin shooting and finally may get a chance to do some real treasure hunting. The place has several acres and it will take a lot of time to cover it all. So I may have a decent place to hunt for quite some time. I know it ain't no Shark Pit but I am hoping for some interesting older finds. Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got on it for the first time today. It's a lot bigger than I thought. It is easily 20 acres. I didn't really go to hunt today, rather just to get the lay of the land and figure out how I want to proceed to hunt it. I ran into the grounds keeper who seemed to be a nice lady. She was riding around in a golf cart and offered to take me on a tour. So I hopped in and we wound up taking a tour of most of the refinery. She is going to try to find me some arial maps from the 1950s when it was a Texaco refinery and it will show exactly where all the houses were located and the backstops for the baseball field. She hauled me around so long that I didn't really have time to hunt before it got too hot. So I hit a few spots mostly just walking and looking for old sidewalks and driveways. All I found was some trash that I picked up and some can slaw along with a little clad. I found a brass tag that said "FILLING' and had a number stamped into it. I was told it was a tag off of an LPG tank. My detector didn't null out so it must not have been buried with the brass tag! I'll show it when I have some more finds to go with it. I think the only way to hunt it is to wait until the grass is cut again and then section it off into smaller parcels and proceed from there. Monty

K

Kentucky Kache

Monty said:
Got on it for the first time today. It's a lot bigger than I thought. It is easily 20 acres. I didn't really go to hunt today, rather just to get the lay of the land and figure out how I want to proceed to hunt it. I ran into the grounds keeper who seemed to be a nice lady. She was riding around in a golf cart and offered to take me on a tour. So I hopped in and we wound up taking a tour of most of the refinery. She is going to try to find me some arial maps from the 1950s when it was a Texaco refinery and it will show exactly where all the houses were located and the backstops for the baseball field. She hauled me around so long that I didn't really have time to hunt before it got too hot. So I hit a few spots mostly just walking and looking for old sidewalks and driveways. All I found was some trash that I picked up and some can slaw along with a little clad. I found a brass tag that said "FILLING' and had a number stamped into it. I was told it was a tag off of an LPG tank. My detector didn't null out so it must not have been buried with the brass tag! I'll show it when I have some more finds to go with it. I think the only way to hunt it is to wait until the grass is cut again and then section it off into smaller parcels and proceed from there. Monty

I was gonna say, it's not 20 acres, but 4 lots of 5 acres. Have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions