Cell Phones And Driving

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it that so many people think that they can talk on a cell phone and drive? EVERY TIME I get behind a knucklehead that is driving 20 miles an hour under the speed limit or driving erratically they are talking on a cell phone? I'd like to invent a device that I could zap someones cell phone and render it temporarily useless, say for about an hour. Doesn't some states have laws about driving and yakking on a cell phone? Even hands free cell phones pose a serious distraction to driving. Used to be that one of the things that caused distraction was women putting on make-up while driving. Or trying to read and drive or ANYTHING and trying to drive. Driving is something that requires constant attention and if it's divided by cell phone distraction or ANY distraction, the chances of an accident are greatly increased. I'm not saying that there are times when cell phones are of value, like to call for help if you come upon an accident or any other EMERGENCY. But, not while you're driving! Grrrrrrrr!
Scott

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Some states have these laws on the books.

Courts are always full of people that got caught. The problem is the fact that we are not a police state with a cop in every other car catching these bozo's when their on the phone behind the wheel.

Unless you can invent an electronic device that will render his cell phone useless while his engine is running then we're stuck with bad drivers on the cell phone with no cops around when you need them.

K

Kentucky Kache

I would like to have a device that I could point at a car and kill it's engine, so I could get around it. ;D Maybe I'll invent one.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
The really stupid ones are TEXTING while driving. Sometimes with both hands and steadying the wheel with their knees.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until these morons ARE treated like drunk drivers, they will continue to talk and drive and others will continue to be killed because of their yuppie needs. Laws don't help much either. We have laws against talking /texting on the phone here in CA but, people think they are capable of doing it without distraction and it's not a serious infraction. That's BULL! Have you ever looked at these people that are driving and talking? Their heads are cocked right into the phone; none of them are holding their head straight. Just goes to show, their main attention is the phone and making sure they don't miss a thing. Studies have proven that they are just as dangerous as a drunk and, if they persist on endangering others for the sake of a silly phone call, they should be treated as such. Minors especially, should just have their license revoked 'til they grow up!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
17 gauges on my dash board to monitor , 18 gears on the transmission to shift , 70 to 110 feet long ,
8 and a half to 16 feet wide , 80 to 110 thousand pounds heavy sharing a highway with these talking /
texting idiots wrapped up in their own world .
From experience I feel that capital punishment should be the minimum penalty for these folks that found so many creative ways to try to kill me .
Jim

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Last week the City of Albuquerque decided to enforce the no cell phone while driving law, they nailed over 300 in one day---automatic $100 fine--that's over $30,000 in one day not counting court costs.
Making the streets and highways safer and making money for the city at the same time.
Minstrel

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way i see it is you have people who can drive and talk and are not a problem.Then there are the ones who cant drive even when they are not on the phone.If you pass a law that says they can't,they will just be doing something else(brushing teeth,shaving changing cloths,putting on makeup,)the list is endless.They are trying to pass a no cell phone law here where i live,SO NOW!we will have a whole lot of IDIOTS slamming on there brakes and pulling off on the side of the road to catch there calls.Now you have just created another problem.IDIOTS pulling back into traffic on all major highways.The way i see it is if we keep making laws to protect the IDIOTS of the world they will not do themselves in and will just keep multiplying.Were getting to the point where you wont be able to wipe your own a&# because there will be some IDIOT who got a paper cut and he thinks he needs to protect everybody.You outlaw cell phones and next will be your GPS.Better outlaw the radio's that the police talk on,they could get distracted while making a call or the laptops that they all are looking at while there driving behind you and checking your license plate.Where is it all going to END!!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't talk on the celphone while driving cause it's hard to hold my beer. Bad joke, sorry. I don't own a celphone, as I'm not really that important now that I need to be in constant contact with anyone. I don't know who is. Maybe law enforcement, medical personnel, or the president. KK, I've heard rumors of devices that are able to kill automobile engines but may still be in the R/D stage for law enforcement use. More importantly, and a far more beneficial device, I have heard there exists a device that will kill car stereos. That might have some uses from time to time.

S

stefen

Saturna said:
The really stupid ones are TEXTING while driving. Sometimes with both hands and steadying the wheel with their knees.

Want to have a good laugh...California legislators, in their infinite wisdom, made it a law that all cell phones in vehicles had to be hands-free...yet they didn't outlaw texting until almost a year later... :dontknow:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing I just got in my email. This is an excerpt from the message:

A couple of weeks ago, two Bureau of Land Management employees were traveling northbound on Interstate 5 in a full-size pickup when they rear-ended a CalTrans truck at a closing speed approaching 70 MPH. The CalTrans truck was equipped with collision attenuation device like you often see, which likely saved the two employees from more serious injury or worse. Both occupants were wearing seat belts, but the passenger had his seat reclined so the effectiveness of the shoulder and lap belt were reduced, resulting in quite serious internal injuries. The driver has openly expressed that he was distracted by a call on his cell phone, which may have contributed to the crash. The employees are law officers, who as you'll recall enjoy a variance from the new cell phone/driving prohibition. I've seen the pickup, and based on the extensive damage it's surprising the injuries weren't worse.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturna said:

For a good laugh, get in front of them & stand on the brakes! The look on their faces defy description as they throw the phone across the dash & their eyes get big as saucers! ;D My best was in Ca. made a girl chuck her bowl of cereal all over the windshield ::) And actually got a lady putting on lipstick make a nice clown face. YA GOTTA HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!!

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
You know I have that same issue daily. I don't think they understand the concept. If you are focused on your conversation, YOU ARE NOT FOCUSED ON YOUR DRIVING!

A couple times I've had people cut me off and damn near kill me while they were chatting away on their cell phone. I politely follow them at a safe distance or pull up on the opposite side and honk my horn until they are totally pissed.

I envision myself being cut-off or nearly killed this week by some eager texter or talker. Huh, well since times are changing I guess I can change my honking of the horn into going all up in their rear end with my little Dodge Neon. I might meet my maker one day soon, but oh well, it won't be by the driving skills of those little twerps. We all gotta go sometime!!

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
There are devices that scramble cell phones when you are within about 50 feet or so of the user. Just Google 'cell phone scrambler'. They cost about $150, and do work; it transmits a microwave signal on all cell phone frequencies at the same time. Once someone's call is scrambled, it will lose the connection and they will have to redial. In a lot of places this is illegal, especially if the person is making an emergency call. If they were about $50 I would have one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread