mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Why doe's everyone not use spell check?

plehbah said:
It seems that people prefer generally to be "casual" with their spelling, and that it is the "thought" which is important. I find this viewpoint odd considering the central role that text and the written word play on the internet.

It seems strange that anyone should choose to post to internet forums, and to ignore the easy availability of the spell check function. It is also strange that anyone upon not knowing how to spell a word, or the definition of a word would not at least make use of the Google search engine that all of us have access to.

When I see a post that is full of spelling and grammar errors that is written by an adult whom is ignoring the spell check option, I just move right along. I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either.

After all..... who wants to hear the idea of someone about anything if they will not even take time to spell it correctly?
Oh my! You must be an English major? I find the little quirks we all have amusing & delightful. including misspelled words. I like to "augment " my grammar depending on the story I am telling. It is part of the the magic of story telling. For this post I used spell check just for y'all. & I don't know if you realize this , but there were some folks in school that had more important things on their minds, like girls/boys, parties & oh yes where they were going to get their next meal. My daughters high school class was full of farmers kids, & you can bet when spelling & verbs & such came up, they were more than likely thinking of the hay being ruined if they didn't get home before a storm broke. or how they were going to be able to get the homework done when they had to be on the combine 'til 3 in the morn. Be pleased we can express ourselves in a manner that suits each individual, & life is too short to worry 'bout spelling.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Kentucky Kache said:
A lifetime of improvement, getting every little thing just right...and then you die.

Yup, Life is like a lesson. You learn it when it's over. :coffee2:

Jay

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

Caution! There was no spell check used in this post!
Hmmm. I seem to be a little testy before my morning coffee kicks in.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
Oh! I get it!

Two wrongs make a right!

Thank you for the clarification, Bull59.

Or, better yet-

jhasdfads fdskhfjlsdkhf dsfkldslkds jhkldsaiwe! :coffee2:

Have a nice sdahkjhsda!

Can someone translate please? Or is it just gbresbiih ?

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_study: Perhaps with the advent of "texting", proper spelling and grammar are falling by the wayside?!
But how quaint to reminisce about the days when persons actually had time to comport themselves
in compositional propriety.
(This message was created without the assistance of Spell Check or Reader's Digest)

:icon_scratch: Wht r u talkn abwt? U cn read ths jst fine. I sav lotsa tym n $ win i abreve8!

:wink:

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d

Some semblance of punctuation an' such sure makes it easier to read, ....I'm jus' sayin...

OP
OP
lonesomebob

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Here is my punctuation for the year, use as many of each as your conscience dictates where you want them.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..............???????::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;""""""""""""""""'''"|||||||\\\\\\\\\//////////<<<<<<....>>..>>>>>> Bob

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i don't. Know for the most part i,
think everone can read thisif,
they realu want. to

Fact is it is very rare things get that bad except
in posts like this where sarcasim comes out.

Most of my errors are caused by 3 things.

Posting in a Hurry, Typing with one finger in the dark,
and not proof reading, although there are a few
words for some reason even though I can spell
them I always Misspell them anyway.

"Everyone" for some reason is one.
That y gets elusive :tongue3:

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

when i type i never use this key " ' " EVER! if i want to type "dont" thats how i type it!
i dont waste my time with the extra key to make it read "don't"
i have a piece of paper from USF that clearly says i have "done well" (aka English degree) in English...so i dont need to prove it
on the internet!
and i agree... people should never be picked on based on how well they spell.

:icon_thumleft:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

Most of my errors are caused by 3 things.

Posting in a Hurry, Typing with one finger in the dark,
and not proof reading, although there are a few
words for some reason even though I can spell
them I always Misspell them anyway.
i make most of my errors because i had a little too much beer :icon_shaking2:

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Even the very best writers make mistakes in spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation— and I appreciate it! :coffee2:

K

Kentucky Kache

PBK said:
Even the very best writers make mistakes in spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation— and I appreciate it! :coffee2:

Yep, that's why we (the world) have editors. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lonesomebob

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Golly!! just ask a question and look what is heaped upon your head!Gripe gripe gripe. hehehe Bob

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just HAD to reply to this topic....

Robert Roark, in his book "The Old Man and The Boy", wrote his Old Man said something to the effect about speaking that although he spoke with collulisams (SIC) he knew the difference.

Kinda like me.....

I NEVER learned the second grade skill of spelling words.

But, I, by jingo, know what they mean.

And I'll not modify my speech patterns for anyone.

Southern, by the grace of God.....

"Go ahead, you got Robin"..... that's how I answer my phone. Totally incorrect use of verbage.

BTW... spell check didn't work in the header of this thread.

I'll go away and have breakfast at a lil' cafe on the waterfront here in Coastal Georgia.... Grits and eggs, bacon, toast, Bloody Mary's....

Have a good 'un....

Robin

Not gonna get torn up again today by allowing the verbal police to dictate to me...

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Great post, Robin!

I'm reminded of Don Williams' line in the song, "Good Old Boys": Learned to talk like the man on the six o'clock news...

And I'll admit to having done that, too, as a survival skill.

A rather self-important and condescending CEO once informed me, in what I'm sure he considered a generous compliment, "Well, you certainly don't sound like you're from Arkansas."

I gave him the long, hard look he'd earned and then replied, "I do when I'm there."

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

I guess my one track brain won't tolerate interupting myself to check words like "interupt". In modern elementary school my G'daughter used what they called "creative spelling" It has made her a super texter now and all I got when I asked if her cell phone had a spell checker was a ru nutz stare. Life is good.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

I luv the humor on this site! makes my day :laughing7:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The last few books I have read have 'this', instead of "this". What's the deal? I make mistakes for two reasons. I think faster than I can type. I have a once broken finger that makes me put a misplaced "k" where is doesn't belong because I can't bend it. I can't bend the finger, not the "K"! See? Yep, sentence structure makes a difference in the meaning. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions