nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Why doe's everyone not use spell check?

Oh I spell check, I'll try C H E C K. I know one in every crowd,lol.
Seriously,it is a Great option and wish more sites had it.

Nova Treasure

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spill cheek doe's knot no watt word two you's, oily weather hit's spilled wright ore knot. :tongue3:

GG~

Likely Guy

Punctuation is one of the main things in today's communicative world, that should be taught to the youngsters, I believe, Plehbah.

I wish that everyone could take a breath, or a comma.

A misplaced comma, semicolon; etc... can mean a world of difference in this day and age.

When you said, "I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."

Could that be: "I figure that if they do not take the context of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."?

English is a screwy, inexact, evolving language.

Pardon my French, Plehbah..."C'est la vie, mon ami"!

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

The Firefox browser has a spell check option that checks any text you type for anything. :icon_sunny:

Of course, this only checks spelling and won't help those who refer to the things that stop a car as "breaks" or any of the many other word use mistakes seen on forums.

Having said that, though, I guess if all posts were perfectly spelled with perfect grammar, the site might lose a bit of character.

Jay

C

Cappy Z.

lonesomebob said:
I love to beat spell check. it helps to keep me sharp,and at my age I need the bolster to my confidence. It only takes a second to do it. Bob

...sounds lonesome.....Bob.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
It seems that people prefer generally to be "casual" with their spelling, and that it is the "thought" which is important. I find this viewpoint odd considering the central role that text and the written word play on the internet.

It seems strange that anyone should choose to post to internet forums, and to ignore the easy availability of the spell check function. It is also strange that anyone upon not knowing how to spell a word, or the definition of a word would not at least make use of the Google search engine that all of us have access to.

When I see a post that is full of spelling and grammar errors that is written by an adult whom is ignoring the spell check option, I just move right along. I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either.

After all..... who wants to hear the idea of someone about anything if they will not even take time to spell it correctly?

Give me a brake. :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
It seems that people prefer generally to be "casual" with their spelling, and that it is the "thought" which is important. I find this viewpoint odd considering the central role that text and the written word play on the internet.

It seems strange that anyone should choose to post to internet forums, and to ignore the easy availability of the spell check function. It is also strange that anyone upon not knowing how to spell a word, or the definition of a word would not at least make use of the Google search engine that all of us have access to.

When I see a post that is full of spelling and grammar errors that is written by an adult whom is ignoring the spell check option, I just move right along. I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either.

After all..... who wants to hear the idea of someone about anything if they will not even take time to spell it correctly?

all I can say is very sad opinion
to judge someone on their spelling :(

Do you also judge people
on Proper Usage ?
& Judge on accents as to whether you'll Listen ?

RE: Forum Guidelines

http://www.treasurenet.com/terms/

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saturna said:
I guess if all posts were perfectly spelled with perfect grammar, the site might lose a bit of character.

Jay

Agreed.

What next Picking on Punctuation ?
Proper Sentence structure ?
Red Marks & A Grade ?

this is not english class

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you said, "I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."

Could that be: "I figure that if they do not take the context of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."?

That's not a case of changing a comma, though.

I don't think any spell check can tell the difference between things like "brake/break", "to/too/two", "bare/bear", etc.

You are right about the English language - imagine how difficult it is to learn English? It's a mish-mash of several different
languages, plus we use other language's particular words from time to time.

B

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI

Whuts spel chek? I aint neva heered of sucha thang! Sat when yew cast a spel when yous playin chekers o somthin?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

k ff he f k s. S m ch f r x m n . N v al z d h m ch s d h .

I took off the top row of keys. So much for your experiment. Never realized how much I used the upper row.

Maybe you could try everything ?sdrawkcab

Random would probably look a lot worse... at least with a row there is some order and symmetry to this misspelled world of hours; nebber mine da phoniks youse may axe me bout],

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

mrs.oroblanco said:
You are right about the English language - imagine how difficult it is to learn English? It's a mish-mash of several different
languages, plus we use other language's particular words from time to time.

B

LOL, try French. All those silent letters and nasal sounds. I remember learning some French in grade school and it was the first time I was introduced to gender in nouns. I asked how do you know which to use. With French, you don't. You just have to learn what each one is as you go.
Sheesh, who thought THAT up?
At least Spanish is phonetic, nouns mostly give a clue to gender, and you generally pronounce each vowel the same way all the time.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

jeff of pa said:
all I can say is very sad opinion
to judge someone on their spelling :(

You know me, and others, by nothing other than what we write here on this forum. This is how, conscious or not, you perceive (or instantly judge) me. My words, and how they are used, helps you to form an instant opinion of me.

It's human nature.

I believe it is a question of how we wish to present ourselves to those who may get to know us in cyberspace.
i beleve is a question of how we wanna be presented in public by peoples who git to no what i be like.

OP
OP
lonesomebob

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

OK!! I did not intend to start a cat fight. Good spelling is something I have worked at for years. My boss used to have a very quick blue pencil and I loved to find him wrong. Since then I have had Spell Check to go up against and enjoy improving myself. I almost always use it to check myself. I feel that good spelling is necessary to properly express ones self. Sorry guys. and gals. and everyone else that would take umbrage. Bob hehehe I did it here too. B

K

Kentucky Kache

A lifetime of improvement, getting every little thing just right...and then you die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread