Why does everyone not use spell check?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jul 2005
    Napoleon MI 49201
    Garrett
    31 times

Why doe's everyone not use spell check?

I love to beat spell check. it helps to keep me sharp,and at my age I need the bolster to my confidence. It only takes a second to do it. Bob

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    424 times
    Relic Hunting

Re: Why doe's everyone not use spell check?

Oh I spell check, I'll try C H E C K. I know one in every crowd,lol.
    Seriously,it is a Great option and wish more sites had it.

Nova Treasure

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    112 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Doesn't work in the titles... doe's it?

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4135 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Spill cheek doe's knot no watt word two you's, oily weather hit's spilled wright ore knot.

GG~

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2796 times

Spell check!?!?! I'm Hooked on Phoenix er ah fonix er ah ponicks Ahhhh never mind......
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

ca
    Likely, B.C.

Aug 2008
    Quesnel Forks, Autumn Festival ca. 1895
    5 times

Punctuation is one of the main things in today's communicative world, that should be taught to the youngsters, I believe, Plehbah.

I wish that everyone could take a breath, or a comma.

A misplaced comma, semicolon; etc... can mean a world of difference in this day and age.

When you said, "I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."

Could that be: "I figure that if they do not take the context of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."?

English is a screwy, inexact, evolving language.

Pardon my French, Plehbah..."C'est la vie, mon ami"!
    "It's a quest. It's a quest for fun, I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun, we're all gonna have so much #!@*^& fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our %$#@ smiles!" - Clark Griswold, National Lampoon's 'Family Vacation'.

May 2008
    Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
    White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
    6 times

The Firefox browser has a spell check option that checks any text you type for anything.

Of course, this only checks spelling and won't help those who refer to the things that stop a car as "breaks" or any of the many other word use mistakes seen on forums.

Having said that, though, I guess if all posts were perfectly spelled with perfect grammar, the site might lose a bit of character.

Jay

Cappy Z.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesomebob
    I love to beat spell check. it helps to keep me sharp,and at my age I need the bolster to my confidence. It only takes a second to do it. Bob
    ...sounds lonesome.....Bob.

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4135 times

Quote Originally Posted by plehbah
    It seems that people prefer generally to be "casual" with their spelling, and that it is the "thought" which is important. I find this viewpoint odd considering the central role that text and the written word play on the internet.

It seems strange that anyone should choose to post to internet forums, and to ignore the easy availability of the spell check function. It is also strange that anyone upon not knowing how to spell a word, or the definition of a word would not at least make use of the Google search engine that all of us have access to.

When I see a post that is full of spelling and grammar errors that is written by an adult whom is ignoring the spell check option, I just move right along. I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either.

After all..... who wants to hear the idea of someone about anything if they will not even take time to spell it correctly?

Give me a brake.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    34075 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by plehbah
    It seems that people prefer generally to be "casual" with their spelling, and that it is the "thought" which is important. I find this viewpoint odd considering the central role that text and the written word play on the internet.

It seems strange that anyone should choose to post to internet forums, and to ignore the easy availability of the spell check function. It is also strange that anyone upon not knowing how to spell a word, or the definition of a word would not at least make use of the Google search engine that all of us have access to.

When I see a post that is full of spelling and grammar errors that is written by an adult whom is ignoring the spell check option, I just move right along. I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either.

After all..... who wants to hear the idea of someone about anything if they will not even take time to spell it correctly?
    all I can say is very sad opinion
    to judge someone on their spelling

Do you also judge people
    on Proper Usage ?
    & Judge on accents as to whether you'll Listen ?

RE: Forum Guidelines

http://www.treasurenet.com/terms/

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    34075 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Saturna

I guess if all posts were perfectly spelled with perfect grammar, the site might lose a bit of character.

Jay
    Agreed.

What next Picking on Punctuation ?
    Proper Sentence structure ?
    Red Marks & A Grade ?

this is not english class

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    390 times

When you said, "I figure that if they do not take the contents of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."

Could that be: "I figure that if they do not take the context of their post seriously, then I do not need to either."?

That's not a case of changing a comma, though.

I don't think any spell check can tell the difference between things like "brake/break", "to/too/two", "bare/bear", etc.

You are right about the English language - imagine how difficult it is to learn English? It's a mish-mash of several different
    languages, plus we use other language's particular words from time to time.

B

"Irony is the rule"

us
    Jul 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    23 times

Whuts spel chek? I aint neva heered of sucha thang! Sat when yew cast a spel when yous playin chekers o somthin?
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes.  Gene Roddenberry

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8363 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)

k ff he f k s. S m ch f r x m n . N v al z d h m ch s d h .

I took off the top row of keys. So much for your experiment. Never realized how much I used the upper row.

Maybe you could try everything ?sdrawkcab

Random would probably look a lot worse... at least with a row there is some order and symmetry to this misspelled world of hours; nebber mine da phoniks youse may axe me bout],

Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

May 2008
    Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
    White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco
    You are right about the English language - imagine how difficult it is to learn English? It's a mish-mash of several different
    languages, plus we use other language's particular words from time to time.

B
    LOL, try French. All those silent letters and nasal sounds. I remember learning some French in grade school and it was the first time I was introduced to gender in nouns. I asked how do you know which to use. With French, you don't. You just have to learn what each one is as you go.
    Sheesh, who thought THAT up?
    At least Spanish is phonetic, nouns mostly give a clue to gender, and you generally pronounce each vowel the same way all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links