Walmart attacks the Girl Scouts

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
pigiron said:
GPURS said:
pigiron said:
Thanks for your reply Moderator however I believe your wrong and the truth of what GPURS meant will only come from himself.
" The girl scouts is a FOR profit organization just like Walmart"
and "The purpose of the cookies is not so girl scouts can "do good", ".

Ultimately the scouts need revenue to survive and continue with the good deed tradition.
Nobody WITHIN the scout movement is lining their pockets here with cookie profits despite almost 200 million
being sold.
Hey piggy, don't get too upset with me man, I'm just passing through and making an honest statement about the girl scouts. Anybody who has been around for a few years or is halfway aware of what goes on in the world knows that the girls scouts is a FOR profit organization. If you did not know this, please do not get angry with me and assign ulterior motives to my comment. If, as you say, the scouts need revenue to survive and continue with the "good deed tradition", then they would be way ahead of the game if they just bummed the money from their parents or even cut some yards at $30 a pop..HaHaHa ;D...
And since you brought it up, I am now kind of wondering who actually has a higher profit margin, the Girl scouts or Walmart???? That will be your homework for tonight Pigiron! Do the Girl scouts actually make a higher profit from their product than Walmart? Good luck, Gpurs...
I think a thread titled GPURS attacks Girl Guides would be accurate.
It's obvious to "anybody who has been around for a few years or is halfway aware of what goes on in the world" that , from your above sentiments you wouldn't miss the Girl Guide organisation if it faded away or for that matter ever existed.
Its as if you think their sole reason for existing is to sell cookies.
Never said anything that insinuates that the sole reason for the girl scouts is to sell cookies. Please stay on topic. If you have anything of import to add, please do, otherwise, go to bed... Good luck, Gpurs..

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I purchase girl scout cookies every year. The money goes to support the local troops. My son was in cubscouts, they sell popcorn and candybars. The money goes to support the local Cub Scout Packs. I am sure that others make money from the sales, but the point is that the local troops and packs get much needed funds to support their activities.

I was a Cub Scout leader for four years and worked with the local Council. A lot of caring folks are involved with scouting and it (in MHO) is a very worthwhile organization.

Ray S

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This is news?? My local dollar store has sold a brand of cookies that's a blatent rip off of the GS cookies for at least the past 8 months, maybe longer. The manufacturer is something called Clover Valley or Green Valley. They sell "Mint Thins" (obvious) and "Coconut and Chocolate Fudge Cookies" (Samoas) and "Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies" (Tagalongs.) The same company also sells crackers very similar to Wheat Thins and a few other itmes as well.

Jeff's exactly right, just because you can buy Hydrox sandwich cookies doesn't mean that they taste better than Oreos, even if they look the same. There's competition in every field, and this is hardly the first time someone has gone after the lucrative Girl Scout cookie market. :wink:

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Yeah, I've seen cereals in a local dollar store that is a blatant rip-off of famous name brands. Stuff like a cartoon tiger called "Frosty Flakes", etc. Who knows what kind of toxic cheap Chinese ingredients are inside.

Copying GS cookies is no surprise with mega-corps like Mal-Wart.

...must...try...control...everything.....

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Come on, people! We live in a capitalist society! The thing you're complaining about now is the same thing that gave us a lot of the items we currently treasure. If no company had ever been created to compete with Ford, would we have Chevrolet? (Not the greatest comparison, I know, but you get the drift.)

How about this? Would it be a better world if absolutely everyone used a White's metal detector? Same thing here. If two companies make the exact same product, some people will still insist one product is better than the other, and you'll never change their minds.

Competition between brands ultimately gives the consumer a higher quality/lower cost product. Is it right that Wal-Mart is making cookies that are the same as the GS sells? Maybe not, but it's hardly a new thing, is it? It's been done before, and it will be done again. We like to target Wal-Mart, but all the company has done is to become successful. Yes, there were mistakes made along the way, but nothing like Enron or Adelphia.

Myself, I'll keep on buying GS cookies because some of the money does go to a good cause, but I'm never going to buy a year's supply. I'll buy 4 or 5 boxes, same as usual, and enjoy them while I have them. But they will run out, and then what?

Why has no one mentioned the monolopy that the GS seem to have on Thin Mints? :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf said:
Expect to see your local Wal-Mart being your towns immunization center for the soon to be "mandatory" swine flu shots. :wink:

Wal-Mart weighs role in U.S. H1N1 vaccination plans
http://blacklistednews.com/news-5048-0-24-24--.html
"mandatory" ? what are they going to do ?
grab me on the street & Hold Me down while
they "Shoot me up" ?

Seriously I think I had it a couple
Months ago but never went
to get Tested, just rode it out.

never had a flu shot in My Life
never will.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Jeff,

Yeah I don't take them either. You never know what's in them.

TW

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never passed a girl scout I haven't bought cookies from.
They catch me at a good time too, I am usually up to my neck in union over time work in the fall/winter - And when I have time to go out browsing in malls, I got a stack of $50's on me that could choke a horse.

I sometimes buy 10-15 boxes, if they are cute, friendly and show good work ethic.
The ones who look bored to death being there, are concentrating more on texting than the business at hand, or hide behind their mothers I'll only buy a few - But that balances out, since I see them at different locations, and can't say no to any of them, I end up with mega boxes of girl scout cookies.
I'll eat em in the winter [ I pretty much swear off sweets in the summer] ... But most, my kids eat, or I just give away to friends with kids.

I suspect the majority are like me, they buy to support the kids, so this walmart thing will not affect them 1 iota with their core customers.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the very best thing you can do.

1) If you don't like Wal~Mart - don't shop there - obviously millions (yes millions) of people DO shop there.

2) If you have a problem with their knock-off girl-scout cookies - buy the real things.

DA DAH!!!!!!!!!!!

And - as someone said - every big store and 99% of dollar stores - and now, all our bigger named stores - have their own, cheaper brand of EVERYTHING - from cookies to aspirin.

Have you ever heard of "Shurfine"? Think that's a brand name?????? No..........................

I buy girl scout cookies every year (even if I can no longer eat them).

Do you really think most people buy girl scout cookies because they are the best value for the money, or the best cookie made? Of course not - people buy Girl Scout Cookies because they are sold by the Girl Scouts. Period.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I love thin mints and tagalongs --- favorite line from the "adams family -- "girls scout cookies are they made with real girl scouts?"

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
I love Walmart, and the girl scouts. There is nothing wrong with making money. That's what our country's economy is based on. The girl scouts, cub scouts, brownies, boy scouts, etc... all do good things. Everyone should support them if they can. I also shop quite a bit at Walmart. Why not? They have EVERYTHING! Cheap too. The mom and pop stores left my area long before Walmart came to town.

John

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Everyone is so caught up in girl scout cookies and the knock off variates that their not talking about what the girl scouts are about any more.

Is this really about the cookies and what if you buy them or not. Or is the fact that there are real girl scouts involved here.

What about the scouts. Don't they count for anything, or have we become a society of a stupid marketing ploy again.

Come on and focus Magoo.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Seamuss said:
Everyone is so caught up in girl scout cookies and the knock off variates that their not talking about what the girl scouts are about any more.

Is this really about the cookies and what if you buy them or not. Or is the fact that there are real girl scouts involved here.

What about the scouts. Don't they count for anything, or have we become a society of a stupid marketing ploy again.

Come on and focus Magoo.

That happened long ago my friend.

John

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Seamuss said:

Come on and focus Magoo.
The Girl Scouts are quietly going about their business of helping folks in need without any hullabaloo or fanfare.

"Girl Scout Councils Take Action

Girl Scouts also continues to support additional changes to U.S. tax code to provide incentives for charitable giving. Since September, nearly half of all Girl Scout councils have joined GSUSA in calling for legislation to reinstate the charitable deduction for non-itemizing taxpayers. The Tax Relief Act of 2005 is currently pending before the U.S. Congress."

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...cout+good+deeds&gbv=2&hl=en

This article shows the girls helping needy folks in hospital.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Seamuss said:

Come on and focus Magoo.
This thread began by one person commenting on Wal-Mart supposedly undercutting the Girl Scouts cookie sales. No mention has ever been made about the Girl Scouts not being a worthy organization, or what they spend their time doing or not doing. In fact, I don't recall there's been a single serious post written attacking the tradition of Girl Scouts.

So, when you ask "Is this really about the cookies and what if you buy them or not." the answer is yes, this thread has formed around the discussion of Girl Scout cookies, knock-off GS cookies, and whether we buy them or not.

And what's with the talk about a stupid marketing ploy? What are you referring to?

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Wal-mart is not the problem here.The fact that they have girl scout cookies on the shelves and SOMEONE is buying them is the problem. If buying these cookies from the stores stop and the focus of buying from the girls resumes then Wal-mart will not have a market for the cookies and everyone can focus on the scouts.

If you re-read all the posts her then you will find out how silly ALL of us are. And all of us are being silly about this thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread