mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, its the same debate as on another forum - if its legal, and I choose to do it, then, that's the person's decision.

Whether its wearing your gun, metal detecting, protests, etc.

We have become a society that wants to control what everyone else does. If I don't md, you shouldn't md. If I don't hunt, you shouldn't hunt, etc, ad nauseum.

B

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Definitely interesting. From that link...

Asked whether the individuals carrying weapons jeopardized the safety of the president, Donovan said, "Of course not."

The individuals would never have gotten close to the president, regardless of any state laws on openly carrying weapons, he said. A venue is considered a federal site when the Secret Service is protecting the president, and weapons are not allowed on a federal site, he said

Of course this ultimately trumps all I guess.

Jay

B

BIG61AL

within his rights .... yes
outta his mind.... HELL YES

In light of past history ...Kennedy brothers, Ford, Clinton - guns and Presidents are a bad mix...
I have absolutely no doubt that he is on a list and will be actively followed for years.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
"This is no way to act"..... I musta missed something in the video- how exactly is he acting? Looks to me like he's just standing there holding a sign. Happens to have a gun. No biggie except to city slickers. Time was when this was a common site, and there were much fewer shootings, LOL! Wonder why it's not so common anymore? (and obviously scary to some of you) ?

Really Peachy- to put this man in the same category as Cindy Sheehan is a little over the top, lol! :D

By the way, carrying a gun when you need it? :dontknow:

How do you know when you need it? Do attackers give you forewarning? I mean I can see for hunting, yes. But for personal protection, pretty much anytime is a good time. Never know in today's crazy world.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Openly carrying guns, while legal, attracts attention
BY BEN WOLFGANG (STAFF WRITER [email protected])
Published: August 19, 2009

In spite of misgivings by some in attendance, the men were not breaking the law, and it would be the same story here in Schuylkill County.

"You have the right to do that," Schuylkill County Commissioner Frank V. McAndrew, former county sheriff, said Tuesday.

He said gun owners openly carrying firearms in Schuylkill County have not been a problem for local law enforcement.

McAndrew served 14 years as sheriff before being elected commissioner in 2007.

Pennsylvania law requires permits for carrying concealed weapons and carrying guns in vehicles, but is silent on open carrying, according to the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association.

There are some exceptions - openly carrying is prohibited in Philadelphia without a license.

Gun owners also can't openly carry in court facilities, on school property, in federal buildings, detention facilities and airport terminals.

http://www.republicanherald.com/news/openly_carrying_guns_while_legal_attracts_attention

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
There was another incident a few miles from here where a man carrying openly while in a store,
something like a Wal-Mart noticed a group of officers(4) & a few others, including an obviously
upset woman. As he approached the check-out, the lady started pointing at him & becoming louder.
He paid for his items & walked past this group on his way out while saying hello to the officers.
He was NOT stopped or questioned & the woman became furious to the point that the officers removed
her from the store. So it seems, these police understood & had no problem with Pa.'s 'open carry law' ,
but this lady needed to understand others rights to bear arms. I doubt if she was arrested for disorderly
conduct, but I'm sure the officers tried hard to explain to her that 'no crime had been committed'.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
mrs.oroblanco said:
You only need a gun to protect your life or someone else's life.

I cannot agree with you on that. It doesn't matter if we 'need' it or not - it's our right.

I take it that we shouldn't be exercising our rights only when 'proper'? (Proper being what someone else decides is proper?).

In my opinion - 'proper' is when I feel like it, because I can.

B

I believe that we have fought many wars over our rights and the founders clearly said that any power not granted to the federal government devolves to the state government and that some rights devolve to the people. In the days of the Old West when convicted felons were released from the federal penitentiary in Yuma their guns were returned to them. For over a hundred years free citizens freely entered courtrooms wearing their sidearms and carrying their long guns. It was only after the advent of the "activist" judges that the jurists became so afraid for their personal safety that guns were banned from courtrooms. Prior to that judges were satisfied to rely on armed bailiffs and some had a handgun laying on their desk for ready use.
siegfried schlagrule

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huffington Post. That says it all. Why bother? Yawn. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread