Chevy Volt, is it cheaper?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm watching the news about the new Chevy Volt about to come out on the market. They claim over 200 mpg.

Yeah, I can see that, based on driving in town, less than 40 miles a day. The fact that it is emission free (not including the production of the electricity to recharge it) is a great bonus.

Now then, onto my question.

What is the cost per mile, in terms of fuel.

A gallon of gas costs XX and you can go, lets say, 25 miles.

How much is the cost of electricity to go the same 25 miles?

40K for the Volt, how long would it take to recoup the added cost? (assuming you are driving something like a Kia at 30 MPG for 17K)

Would it be cost effective to go electric, or is it a green advantage only?

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how good the heater/window defroster works in January , up north , when its 5 degrees out ?

Do they come with air conditioning , for when it's hot ?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price tag for this car is $30k-$40k,that's a little to much,for me anyway,check out calcars.org,this is a great website all about hybrids and plug in's :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
First, GM has stated part of the reason they can claim the increase in MPG is due to the possibility of the EPA adopting new methods of calculating MPG for hybrids. Their actual MPG under the old method is 48, slightly more than the Prius. Once the Prius applies the new rules they will claim close to what the Volt gets.

Now, is it worth it. The Prius is half the projected price of the Volt, $26k vs 43k. How much electricity can you buy for the difference.

Now the good news, the Volt will have a better warranty and a longer life on its battery. Also, it is supposed to be rechargable from 110 volts which means you can plug in at more places. The Prius's new charge system is supposed to be a high amp system, most likely 220V if a plug in. Otherwise there is the possibility of induction transfer instead of direct plug in. Technicians I know fear the nightmare it could cause for servicing.

So, my 2 cents. Not bad but can be more competitive against the Prius. Personally, I think an air powered car is more cost effective, safer, and won't cause a toxic spill if the battery pack is ruptured.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly, the batteries are no different (cost and contamination) than electric golf carts and/or forklifts.

Of course, I'm cheap anyway - I wouldn't buy a $40,000 car or truck. :dontknow:

B

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I think I am going to stick with my Prius ;D

HH,
Donny

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ok, here is my take on it.

The Volt is a step in the right direction, but yes it's pricey. When (i'm assuming it will because it has many times before) gas goes up to 5$ a gallon again it's going to be a much better investment than it looks to be now.

If you can get to work and back on one charge it's going to save you a ton of money in the long run but as I say, not this moment. You also need to be able to plug it in which is a hassle

Compared to a Prius it only has one drive system so repairs will be cheaper if major parts are damaged or wear out.

Many people here in Seattle are wanting them for the status of putting their money where their mouth is in regards to oil/global warming/etc. and are willing to pay the extra.

If you are just wanting to save money versus a gas car I would wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of electric cars which should be more reasonably priced.

Right now your best bet is to get something like a 4-door yaris which has a very high MPG for a gas-only car, it's more cost-effective than a hybrid.

However the electric-drive car with a diesel backup engine to make supplemental electricity is definitely the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread