Attachments

• my knife.jpg
    my knife.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,579
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI regarding machetes, for green country I use this one -->http://www.elinemerchandising.com/97AM24.html It isn't for hard wood country, but almost perfect for jungles. 26" long.

There is a blunt two sided one that 'is' perfect. The back coarse side is for cutting close to the ground, the longer, finer side is for green plant materiel. Since the point is rounded, it is used as a hole digger. 26 " long also.

I have seen some excellent suggestions in here, keep it up gentlemen. Remember, knives are very personal items, no two have the same features, sorta like looking for a wife, we each have our own likes. he heh e.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Texan,
Tanto is a nice knife. Just nothing I'd use in Arctic conditions.

Real,
If you are attacked by i.e. a human you don't start to try and saw off the limbs one at a time.
- One hit one kill. :wink:

I already have one with a saw edge. Don't like it, nor need it cutting right trough the piece of wood is faster.

Bran,
Nice toy doesn't mention steel type though. :o
After googling:
1085 is the steel. 85% carbon.. That's one mighty hard steel!
Don't think that is of advantage.

Texan,
;D

Real,
Hi again Mr Dundee! :P
Now we're talking budd. :icon_thumleft:

I agree it is like looking for a wife; everyone has his/her own preference. :wink:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning EO: you posted-->
Real,
If you are attacked by i.e. a human you don't start to try and saw off the limbs one at a time.
- One hit one kill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
?? I believe that you have misinterpreted what I was saying. The saw tooth feature is on the back of the blade and in no way changes it's normal usage. It is strictly used for sawing wood, a knife should never be used for hacking.
*****************************************************************************************************

I already have one with a saw edge. Don't like it, nor need it cutting right trough the piece of wood is faster.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

??? clarify please my friend.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I guess you all are going to laugh at my knife, but for the money it makes a great back up.

* Precision sharpened 8'' stainless steel blade with saw back
* Survival kit stores in handle
* Includes built-in compass, sewing kit, safety pins, buttons, fishing line with hook, 6 matches with paper, lanyard and sheath

$9.95 Harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90714

GG~

knife.gif

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:D
Didn't have my morning coffee when I wrote that. ;D

What I mean is that a saw is slower then actually cutting it, or even carving if the tree is rather small.
(And there ain't many big trees up where I'm going) ;D
A Larger knife gets through quicker; like a Kukri for example.

My personal preference is without saw, as I hardly use it (the saw) any way.
I do have a knife with saw on the back already. (Aitor Jungle King II)
A old version.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Eu_citzen said:

What I mean is that a saw is slower then actually cutting it, or even carving if the tree is rather small.

A old version.
I agree. I think those who promote the saw have never used one and fall into that wannabe dreamer group.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pigiron said:
Eu_citzen said:

A old version.
I agree. I think those who promote the saw have never used one and fall into that wannabe dreamer group.
Hehe, I do agree actually.

Cheers mate! :coffee2:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: As to never having used one in actual field experience, I relied upon mine in my 6 month exploration trip into the Yucatan / Quintana Roo/Honduras jungles looking for Mayan ruins. My partner and I lived almost entirely off of the jungle, we carried #65 backpacks. You might say that we had a hands on experience with them to perfect our abilities. We were NOT fat when we finished.

We used the 26 inch machete, the 7" saw knives and .22 pistols for marginal defense and small game harvesting.

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.s. --> www.explorers.org

Attachments

• Explorers Club a.jpg
    Explorers Club a.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,413

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Under those circumstances I'd have opted for a solar powered chain saw instead of a saw knife.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Real,
If you really have survival scenarios I can see where it can be of use; i.e sawing takes less energy then cutting.
It all depends on the situation and personal preferences.

A solar powerd chain saw is nice; but weight is a issue. Not likely I'd want that in a real survival scenario.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The saw edge on a survival knife is just another tool that's built in, that's all. Not the best saw in the world, but there are situations where it would come in handy. Same thing with the built in compass not a great one, but still could be useful just in case, same with the other goodies that fit in the handle, not the best but could still be useful in a pinch.

Personally I would rather have the saw built in and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
plus I have used the saw for certain tasks, and it gets the job done. Check this thing out at harbor freight, the teeth on the saw edge are not the usual lame saw tooth that most knives have. These have two rows and cut like crazy, if you had to saw through bone you could. I have never seen this type of saw on a knife before, it really is worth checking out.

GG~

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I don't want a hollow handle to fail on me under exterme use when I need it most . There are alternate ways to find direction and catch fish .

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
I don't want a hollow handle to fail on me under exterme use when I need it most . There are alternate ways to find direction and catch fish .

Good point :thumbsup:

Have you ever had one fail? Mine seems very strong and I have thrown it at stumps and even had it hit sideways and even handle first. Although the hollow handle does throw the balance off and makes it rather blade heavy. But I am with you, so I also carry back up.

GG~

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
GoodyGuy said:
truckinbutch said:

Good point :thumbsup:

Have you ever had one fail? Mine seems very strong and I have thrown it at stumps and even had it hit sideways and even handle first. But I am with you, so I also carry back up.

GG~
Never had one fail 'cause I never have carried one . One bowie type and a multiblade Quality pocket knife plus sharpening stone in extreme circumstancts . Shrade sharp finger and pocket knife for more casual outing plus stone .

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
pigiron said:
Eu_citzen said:

A old version.
What's up fella? It seems like all you do is travel around these boards taking cheap potshots at people who either know more than you, or have done more than you. If you don't have anything relevant to add, why don't you leave it alone?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Eu_citzen said:
Real,
If you really have survival scenarios I can see where it can be of use; i.e sawing takes less energy then cutting.

A solar powerd chain saw is nice; but weight is a issue. Not likely I'd want that in a real survival scenario.
Actually the solar powered chain saw is a myth.
A very practical solution to heavy sawing from a back-pack (log cabin scenario) is the hand operated chain saw.
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/827

From Green Mountain Products

Attachments

• hand chain saw.gif
    hand chain saw.gif
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,353

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
pigiron said:
Eu_citzen said:
Real,

Actually the solar powered chain saw is a myth.
A very practical solution to heavy sawing from a back-pack (log cabin scenario) is the hand operated chain saw.
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/827

From Green Mountain Products
Pig ' You could have talked all day without saying something so foolish .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread