Survival knife

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
EU,

I'm pretty partial to this knife:

usmc_kabar2.jpg

TW

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Timberwolf said:
EU,

I'm pretty partial to this knife:

TW
No bells or whistles . Just survived the test of time .
A hint : carry a sharpening stone and maintain the edge . Many durable blades have been let down by folks that don't give them the respect that they are due .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI similar to Timber's, but 7 " with a serrated edge on the back for cutting wood or bone. This is what I carried on my jungle explorations, it served me well. I could dress game, cut and saw wood to make temp shelter, even start a fire with it.

And of course, while it never came to that, I always felt that I could take on any animal, 2 or 4 legged with it. At night, It slept inside of my skeeter net about my knee area, the same place I always keep my pistol in civilisation or in the brush. My wife long ago became accustomed to my sleeping preference with a pistol (always a revolver ). heehe.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Timber,
Who made that knife? I want to know the steel used in it.

Truckin,
I put my sharpening stone to good use. :wink:

Real,
Thanks. :)

Here's a beauty that caught my eye:
linton.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
These are quality knives made very well. A tad expensive, but if it's survival you are after, cost is secondary.

http://www.randallknives.com/

Personally, I like the ones with accessories. The compass cap, hollow handle for a flint, wire cutter, fish hook, and so on.

http://www.knifesearch.com/

S

stefen

I happen to use my AF Pilots Survival knife (with wet stone)...

There is also an identical US Army /AF issue in puke green...

Have attached a recent marketing picture

Attachments

• survival knife.jpg
    survival knife.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,795

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I was actually faced with the same type of situation when I first moved to Washington. I lived on the Olympic Peninsula about 10 miles from a phone.

I decided I wanted top quality steel with no extra bells and whistles. A grip that wouldn't slip and the backing of a company I could rely on.

I bought this from Cold Steel:

csstoreonline_2064_12011562

Magnum Tanto II 13MBII
Specifications:
Blade: 7 1/2"
Overall: 13 1/8"
Weight: 11.4 oz
Steel: VG-1 San Mai III® (3 layers of steel with a harder layer sandwiched between 2 flexible layers)
Thickness: 3/16"

It will run you about $200 online, but it's good enough i'd trust my life on it. Comes razor sharp with an almost unlimited lifetime warranty.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
The knife will be around a century after your gone. That's survival, even if you live another century.

I took a rock to a knife fight once. The rock lost, so did I.

A knife if a good tool, Jim Bowie.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
sog makes a good knife used by the navy seals mine is a k98 pup the serrated edge can cut steel cable only sharpened it 2 times have had it for 7 years paid $95.00 for it back then

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Timberwolf said:

Cheers, I'll look 'em up. ;D
;D

GIB,
Cost is important in cost vs what I get.

Stefen,
ok, thanks.

Lasivian,
Tantos are nice, but don't give the blowing force I need.
I cut the wood with my knives, weight gives more force. ;D
That is why I love a Linton I already have.

GL,
Thanks. Ka-Bar seems popular.
Do they offer a good blowing force?

Seamuss,
Hehe, experience is a good teacher isn't it. :wink:

Olepossum,
I looked 'em up, though they make nice knives but I am not sure if they offer the blowing force to cut wood either.

Here's the Linton I already got:
Linton_Small.jpg

Keep in mind that I will really be out in the middle of nowhere, I'm looking for some serious stuff not any hobby knives.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lasivian,
If I only wanted to cut wood with one tool I'd gotten a good old Fiskars Axe. (there are small and light weight available)

But out in the wilderness you really do want to carry a minimum. (I'm likely to be out hours on end)
Because I'll be out prospecting. Which in itself requires a fair load of equipment.
(gold pan, food, water, sluice, rock hammer, loupe, buckets, screen.. You get the idea)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old original Randal made knives are worth a couple thousand bucks now days. I haven't handled the newer ones. But the old ones were the cadillac of the knife industry. Most folks I know who really know knives cary two knives, one for stabbing or spearing and one for skinning and slicing. They don't go for the realy big knives at all. a 3 to 4" blade is the most utile it seems. Now if you plan to cut wood don't use a knife, but get a small axe or machete. Cutting wood with a good knife will soon ruin it. And never use a power grind wheel to sharpen a knife as it will ruin the temper in the blade, Use a hand held whet stone or a couple of the Arkansas stone type sharpeners with some very thin oil and keep a keen edge. Be sure to keep the blade clean and free of blood or salt water. Even stainless steel will tarnish with either left on a blade. Just wiping it of and a couple drops of machine oil is all you need. Monty

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Referring to a good quality sharp knife, I heard G. Gordon Liddy once say:

"it's always loaded and the silencer is always on"

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Monty,
I'll look 'em up.

Re cutting wood with knife. Well then there's something wrong with my Linton!! :o

Re carrying 2 knives; I am not looking for hobby knives.
With a real knife all you need is one! :wink:

I've been handling knives since I've been 5 Monty, no newbie here. ;D

Sharpshooter,
Gun laws are very harsh here. To much hazel.
A knife is a better call. :wink:

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I belive for strenght lasivan has it Nailed the tonto is a Great knife. If you need some weight that will crack bones but still good hard steel,get a Bowie, or a USMC as Timberwolf suggested, and carry a leatherman. so yes id have 2 knives if you feel you are in need of a big blade.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-53937.html

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, for min. weght and max reliability, I still go for the K-bar Marine style knife with a SERRATED cut on the back of the blade, you saw the wood or bone, not chop it. You need the aprox. 7" blade too have a suitably long stroke when sawing.

In WW-2 they issued me a Bowie style knife. It was perhaps 14" long, with a blade of aprox. 3-4" wide. with a Brass guard and a horn handle. The guard was a heavy duty one with balls at each end.

It's sheath slid nicely between the 45 acp belt clips and the actual holster itself making a nice compact package with the 45 Acp. I believe rhat it was made by Camilius for the South American trade.

A similar one is here -->http://www.elinemerchandising.com/WW49.html

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread