Has this ever happened to you?

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I went to a jeweler to get a gold chain I bought at a yard sale appraised. After he kept insisting it was plated, he finally tested it with Nitric acid. When he didn't get a response from the chain, he then tested the clasp, getting a very mild reaction after almost a minute of waiting for the reaction (clear with a slight green tinge). Now I thought the clasp would most likely be plated, apparently heavily so. However, he still insists the chain is plated.

Now, any thoughts on this?

Have you had this happen to you?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I would suggest you take it someplace and have it shortened just a tiny bit to see what's inside it.

Or find someone with a very precise scale that can check it's weight against it's mass to see if it's gold.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
a picture of the necklace in question. Gonna take it to a pawn shop and have them test it.

Attachments

• 080809gsgold.JPG
    080809gsgold.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 184

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lasivian said:
I would suggest you take it someplace and have it shortened just a tiny bit to see what's inside it.

Or find someone with a very precise scale that can check it's weight against it's mass to see if it's gold.
This can't be done easily unless you leave the planet. I think you should be talking about density which is mass(or weight on earth)/volume but this is not practical either.
As you said MRBeyer , a pawn shop is best as they will have an electro-conductivity tester or with experience will know just by holding it.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
pigiron said:
Lasivian said:

This can't be done easily unless you leave the planet. I think you should be talking about density which is mass(or weight on earth)/volume but this is not practical either.

Yes, I meant weight versus volume. My bad.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Take it to a VERY reputable jeweler and ask them for an estimate to lengthen it for you.
Decline the offer and ask them to buy it from you.
Or vice-versa.
Do this with 2-3 jewelers and see what they say.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
allen said:
maybe the jeweler was trying to rip you off?
take it to a reputable jeweler !!
That's the understatement of the year; and
A reputable Jeweller:
I AM A REPUTABLE JEWELLER
come in and be suckered

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread