Not a detecting find but it was a treasure to me....

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am the Assistant Pastor of the church my family and I attend and today we had a treat, one of the remaining survivors from the bombing of Pearl Harbor visited my church. His name is Roger Reed and he is in his early 90's.

I cannot tell you how great it was talking with this amazing man. He was active in all of WWII, the Korean War and for 14 months of Vietnam. I was enamored and awestruck as he told of standing outside of the mess hall and seeing the Japanese planes headed toward him. He said that nobody really knew what was happening at first and by the time they did figure out what was going on it was too late to do much about it.

These guys are one of the only links to the pasts that we have and we really need to honor these men much more than we do these days. I plan to make an episode of GA Dirt Fishin' soon to allow you guys the opportunity to hear him tell of his time in the service.

Of course, I am the guy on the left in the shirt and tie and Mr. Reed is on the right. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 08160912251.jpg
    08160912251.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 694

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure found an oldie congrats :laughing7: But seriously I agree they deserve to be honored and the best way to do that is probably listening to what they have to say.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, wow, wow. An American Hero. I'd love to hear his stories, I hope someone records them. Thank you Mr. Reed for fighting for the U.S.A. in not one, but three different wars. Amazing. :hello2:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GA, please give my thanks and appreciation to a great american!! Would love to hear more!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find give him my thanks as well.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
You are not alone in honoring our fighting men. They all deserve our utmost respect and appreciation.
Anthony

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing. As a Veteran myself having served in 2 conflicts I have great respect for a veteran from any service, especially from WW2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we do not listen to the heros of the past and learn from them, we are doom to repeat the mistakes of the past.

bangorguy

Aug 1, 2009
could tell Roger Reed for me that i appreciate his service to this great country, and thank you for puting his life on the line for our freedom, and could you also tell him thank you for the years of sackrifice for us. this also touches me very deep as my father fought the front lines in north korea and was wounded in action three times. these men are very special to me and all of america as well. they make me proud to be an american. "Roger Reed" i thank you so very much for being such a great person and a great man. "MAY GOD BLESS YOU" and watch over you avery day of your life. thank you. ben evans. bangor maine.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I too would like to show my appreciation for Mr. Reed's service to our country. I would love to spend an afternoon just listening to his personal recollections from that time period.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I take my hat off to him and bow ! An American treasure ! He fought courageously for our feedoms !

I'm happy he's lived through great odds to see 90 !!

D.

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
My Dad was a fighter pilot in WW II in the Pacific (flew an F6F Hellcat off the USS Essex). We had many great talks about what he went through but it was only after he passed away last year and I found his diary and all the info on medals he received (6 Silver Stars, 4 Bronze Stars, Presidential Citation, Distinguished Flying Cross) that I truly understood what a hero he really was. He never bragged, only answered questions. I wish now I could talk to him and find out the circumstances on all his medals but alas it's now too late.
If you ever meet a vet take the time to listen to their stories-the best history lessons you'll ever get from folks that lived through some of the worst times in our past.
God Bless them all!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread