Why I wont buy another book from this author. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    6263 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Why I won't buy another book from this author.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    I'v also told many it's not the type of
    Question I Can answer Or "Best thing to do
    is Post the Question"

But I always hope I am at least taken
    as civil even when i'm short & to the point.
    On any forum, the most valuable thing (and arguably the only thing) one can take away from the experience is the help received and the knowledge learned. The pats on the back will fade over time, and so will the "nice finds" replies. But even just looking at the photos here is valuable learning--learning what is possible.

Which is why I try to help when asked. Being kind enough to answer messages goes a long way.

What gets my goat is that this guy didn't write some dry history book or even a book of tired old treasure "leads." It was a "help book." I would question anything in such a publication, since it's obvious that this guy is only in the "help" business to make a quick buck.

I can hardly imagine that he is such a Celebrity that folks are piling up the e-mails in his inbox and flooding his phone with calls.

-Buck
    2019 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Solid Gold Monogrammed Thimble, c. 1840-50
    Civil War ID Disc
    1826 2 Reales
    Louisiana Pelican Civil War Button
    Eagle Cuff Button
    Eagle "I" Coat Button
    Colonial silver shoe buckle piece
    Boxlock Pistol hammer plate
    1865 2 Cent Piece
    1788, 1819 and one dateless Half Reale
    1848-O and 1854 Half Dimes
    1842-O, 1858, 1876-S and 1888 Seated Dimes
    1898 Hong Kong Dime Silver Coin (Queen Victoria)
    1905-O Barber Dime
    1942 and 1944-D Washington Quarters
    2 Silver "War Nickels"
    Silver "Indian Head" badge
    Maynard Carbine casings (Civil War)
    Louisiana Knights Templar Badge
    Shield Nickels
    V Nackles, Beefalo knuckles and Gaw Gag

OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    American by Birth ~ Gun Owner by Right ~ Jesus by Choice

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

The reason I didn't post the name is I don't want to discourage others from buying his books, they have a ton a really useful info in them that you just won't get from a manual or the dvd that comes with your machine, and if applied you can really get an edge over the competition. It just irks me that people can dismiss or be rude others.

OH YEAH JB, I sent you a PM J/K
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    Apr 2009
    18 times

OH YEAH JB, I sent you a PM
    What do I look like... DEAR ABBEY!!!

I still tend to believe that it was the nature of the question your brother asked. Let's assume the author is full of himself and has a big ego. When your brother asked him about his scoop he was stroking the author's ego. The author was happy to tell others about the cool scoop he had invented or had custom made for him. But when your brother essentially tells the author that he doesn't believe the author's favorite PI machine is a good buy (for various reasons), now he is hurting the author's ego. The author probably didn't have any concrete reasons why your brother was wrong so to save his ego he just told your brother to get lost. If he had good reasons why his favorite machine was much better then he may have stated them in the email. But in this case there probably is no really good reason to choose one specific PI machine over another for the scenario in question.

Of course, I have no way of knowing for sure. But what I do know is that metal detectorists are very touchy about their purchase decisions. They don't like someone else telling them that they've made a mistake and that a different detector is a better buy. I don't know why that is really. But it is obvious by reading a lot of the posts out here. People will cling to their favorite detector and fight tooth and nail to show that it was the best purchase decision they could have made.

I'll let it go. I can see where your brother's question could be taken the wrong way and even make the author feel like it was a blow to his ego in a way. But the author should have at least been courteous even when giving a "non-response".

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

yeah I can see that point where the author had taken what he wrote a little wrong. Or maybe its an ego complex..I will never have that problem because I hope I never get so good at metal detecting that I think I know it all and stop learning. Because that would suck all the joy right out of it. As much as I hate those bottlecaps and pull tabs, it just makes something like a ring(even when they are junk) so much sweeter.

I know my brother didn't mean it like that because the Whites is on the top of his list for a PI, he just wanted a little more feedback on the 3 machines. He loves the fact that tesorro has a lifetime guarantee, so he don't find himself in the same boat as with the excal, but if the machine lacks performance in salt water(which is what he has been told) even though its a salt water machine it wouldn't make sense to buy it. The same with the LS, if it runs too hot in the ocean then you miss alot. Now the whites although have made outstanding land machines, they have had some problems with the water ones. I think he was just hoping for something like all of them are great machines, but the whites seems to run more stable in the salt water, and goes a little deeper or the difference between the tesoro and whites are:. I am sure he has emailed others that run the machines and asked what they thought their pro and cons are, like anyone you want to be an informed buyer, and I would think asking the question to someone who has written a book exclusively about finding gold with a pi machine would be a likely choice.
    The way I see it, if he didn't want to answer the question it would of been better to just have not replied. No reason to go all dear abbey on him. lol
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    Dec 2008
    in my own little world :)
    Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
    1 times

I hear the Sand Shark is a very good salt water machine.
    Whereas the Tiger Shark is a very good fresh water machine.
    I hope this will help
    hh gl
    dan

us
    My goal for 2012 is a dozen Walking Liberty Halves

Sep 2004
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
    57 times

The author must write exclusively for whites, so I would not know who it would be. Although enquiring minds want to know.

I would recommend the Tesoro only because of my experience with Tesoro customer service. They are excellent. A lot of times when I call, I speak with a technician or the owner and have had my questions answered. I have also had to send my Tiger Shark back for service and they sent it back very quickly. It was gone for a week and a half (from Pittsburgh to Arizona, fixed and back again.) Great people and my metal detector shop that I go to is great. Hope it helps.
    I Dig Everything...Even Pull Tabs.

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

no the author writes on minelab too, infact I thought he was only minelab until looking for his last book.
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

He does not write for minelab, but has put out books on the sovereign/excal the books are very helpful and has some great techniques. That should be clue enough for anyone to figure out who it is.
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    134 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I was having trouble with a machine an author had written about, and he contacted me! Said to give him my email and he would try to help me out. I did, but he didn't! Go figure. Guess he thought better of it? Anyway, at least he acknowledged me and I never thought he was Dear Abby. Instead of your brother giving his opion and then asking for the author to refute it, he should have just asked the question. There was a one time poster here that asked the age and value of something. Several of the knowledgible forum members answered and regretfully told him it wasn't very old and wasn't very valuable. And this guy came back and wanted to argue with them. If he knew the answer why the heck did he ask? And he sure was off base arguing with the ones who knew the answer! That's the way it goes I guess? Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

yeah my brother should of phased the question better, but half of the conversation took place in the forum where the guy and others were discussing it (not TN) so if you had been following it there then the question when emailed made more sense. I can't wait to see which machine he decides on. LOL because just about the time he makes up his mind, he comes across "new info" and is back to considering.
    He sent his excal in, they first told him $525, then dropped it to $275 and he just got it back it went in an old excal and came out an excal II, the only thing they did not replace was the actual casing which holds the brain. But a new coil, new headphones, cables, new insides, sheesh! I can tell you he is one HAPPY CAMPER right now. You can't beat that deal with a stick!
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8363 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)

People die, get run over by trucks, sued by ex-spouses for visitation rights with the cat... lots of reasons we all have some very bad days every now and then.

What he said was not nice, particularly since he is in the business of selling something, which requires some people skills.

Who knows, maybe his house burned down last week, his dog died, and his truck was towed by the cops...

Sometimes I come off harsh and rough when it's not directed at the person I'm engaged in conversation at the time with, it's just an ugly aura because of something else, but I just sound hateful. I try to be better...

Maybe the guy was having a bad day.

Name:  Bad Day.gif
Views: 102
Size:  9.5 KB

Perhaps what he really needs is a hug.

Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    134 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I have a habit of being outspoken, good or bad. So if you don't really want my opinion , don't ask. But if I can help someone I will do my darndest. Being outspoken sometimes things don't read ike I intended it and some get upset with me. But don't start something with me or I'll reply in kind. That's just me and a week later I'm over it. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Jun 2004
    Hurlock, Maryland
    XP Deus, Excalibur II
    68 times

txkickergirl,

The reply almost sounds like it was not the author who responded. Most authors love to talk and write.

I have a PI machine and they are different beast. Iron lovers. The Infinium LS is supposed to have some discrimination. Don,t rule out White,s PI machines.

Ed D.
    Keep detecting, Keep finding, Keep digging!

Ed Donovan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links