Why I wont buy another book from this author.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    American by Birth ~ Gun Owner by Right ~ Jesus by Choice

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Why I won't buy another book from this author.

There are very few books out there for waterhunters and most of them just scratch the surface. There are a couple people who have written books that detail the more indepth techniques ofwater hunting. I have purchased some of these books and they are extremely helpful. One author I purchased 3 of his books. My brother also purchased a couple of these books. My brother is no beginner, and like everyone else will absorb any knowledge out there that might give him an edge. So my brother an excal user finds his machine needs to visit the doctor, they tell him at minelab it will cost over 525.00 to fix, this is not a newer excal either. So he is thinking instead of paying that much to fix it(he owns another excal)he would get a PI, but which one? Does he go with whites? garrett? or tesorro? He emailed the author with this question because he knows the guy has experience and respects his opinion. Below is the emails back and forth and the purpose of this rant. I will not puchase another book from him, he sells his books at 14.95 which is rather expensive, and then snaps back at a reader with the below comment. He might know water hunting but shame shame on him in public relations area.

my brother wrote:
    name omitted, since my Excal is no longer in use, and costs way to much to fix, I will be looking into a new machine. I would like to have a PI this next time. I realize you have the Whites DF and have also wrote a book on it. It is at the top of my list just the cost/warranty issue rates up there with my now useless Excal. Can you tell me why I should NOT buy the Infinium LS or the Tesoro Sand Shark (lifetime warranty) ? I need a water machine and hunt primarily in the Texas gulf coast.

authors response:
    Dude,
    I'm sorry I'm not "Dear Abbey".

my brothers reply:
    Hey, sorry for your time, I know you are like the guru and you are willing to help out everyone and everyone respects your responses. I was in a PI forum reading some of your responses and thought hey I would email him. Forgive me DUDE it won't happen again. Take care Buddy.

Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    May 2009
    Yuma Az
    Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
    55 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Why I won't buy another book from this author.

I just read it to the Red head an her mouth dropped open like mine did an all she said was wow, ya wow......not a reply you'd expect an I'd sure be sendin him a copy of this post so he knows it dont pay to be an ass ,I think we need his name so the rest of us dont give him any money either
    Building my wealth one pull tab at a time Tank69 ™

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    34001 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have a hunch who it Is.

& I Know what you Mean.
    He is very self Involved.

If i'm wrong then Maybe all
    Writers of Help books are Like this.

us
    Apr 2009
    18 times

I'm sorry, but why would your brother email a complete stranger about a purchasing decision? Why does your brother think that he is so special as to warrant special attention from this author? The author could certainly have put it nicer but he is right on the money. He isn't dear abbey and he isn't your brother's special advisor. He has better things to do with his time than go around and answer all of these emails from people asking what type of machine to buy.

You may think I'm being cranky but I recently spent some time out on Eric Foster's PI forum. It is supposed to be a place to find out about PI technology. But instead, it is filled with idiots asking "should I buy machine A or machine B?". I'm surprised that Eric puts up with it. All it does is degrade the forum.

So there are plenty of places your brother can go to to ask inconsequential questions about which PI machine to buy. No one can give him a definitive answer anyway so emailing an author and expecting anything other than an "I don't know" is asking quite a bit in my opinion. These guys have lives too and I can't imagine that he has any real input anyway. His curt response probably shows that he gets dozens of these types of emails and is probably simply tired of people who over step their bounds. Quite frankly, I don't blame him.

Finally, what kind of question is that anyway?! "I know you like machine A but I'm going with machine B instead. Tell me why you think your machine is so darned good that I should give it a second look". I'd be pissed too. Evidently the guy likes his machine and has written about it. And your brother tells him that he isn't going to buy it because he thinks the company has poor warranty service or defective products (if I read that correctly). And then you expect the guy to come back and give you decent advice on what to purchase?!?! Get serious!

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

I think that you can pretty much figure out who it is without me posting the name. The first book I bought was to help increase my knowledge of the sovereign, since the manual isn't real helpful, but I went back through the book after purchasing my excal, and since added two more books from him to my collection. Maybe he was just having a crappy day, but still it was rude.

Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    Apr 2009
    18 times

Yes, "I don't know" or "you should buy what you feel the most comfortable with" would be better "non-responses". I don't know who the guy is and I have no problem believing that he could be a jerk. But the OP's brother certainly didn't give the author any reason to want to help him. But maybe I'm just one of those people who considers email to be more personal. I consider it no different than a phone call. If the OP's brother had called the guy on the phone instead would you feel any differently about his response? If some complete stranger called YOU on the phone and asked what PI machine to buy instead of the one you like, what would you say to him?

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by jb7487
    I'm sorry, but why would your brother email a complete stranger about a purchasing decision? Why does your brother think that he is so special as to warrant special attention from this author? The author could certainly have put it nicer but he is right on the money. He isn't dear abbey and he isn't your brother's special advisor. He has better things to do with his time than go around and answer all of these emails from people asking what type of machine to buy.

You may think I'm being cranky but I recently spent some time out on Eric Foster's PI forum. It is supposed to be a place to find out about PI technology. But instead, it is filled with idiots asking "should I buy machine A or machine B?". I'm surprised that Eric puts up with it. All it does is degrade the forum.

So there are plenty of places your brother can go to to ask inconsequential questions about which PI machine to buy. No one can give him a definitive answer anyway so emailing an author and expecting anything other than an "I don't know" is asking quite a bit in my opinion. These guys have lives too and I can't imagine that he has any real input anyway. His curt response probably shows that he gets dozens of these types of emails and is probably simply tired of people who over step their bounds. Quite frankly, I don't blame him.
    He was asking an expert who has used all 3 machines and has written 8 books on metal detecting, what made the whites the top choice in his opinion. He did not email this guy direct from the book...he emailed him off a forum where the guy is active. Like if you posted something here and I had questions or wanted more info, I would PM you. I wouldn't want to bother the person on the phone because they do have a personal life, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot off an email to ask the opinion, and whenever he could get around to it he could answer.
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

Dec 2003
    34001 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I sent you a PM with a Name.

I'd guess I'm Right

Dec 2003
    34001 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    I sent you a PM with a Name.

I'd guess I'm Right
    Well I was Wrong They must all be that way

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

nope, but maybe they are all like that
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

us
    Sep 2005
    Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
    23 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I don't know the author or anything about him, but it sounds to me like he was being a jerk!

A kind man would have tried to help, even if he didn't know the person asking.
    That is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Timberwolf
    If we meet and you forget me...you have lost nothing.
    If you meet Jesus Christ and forget him...you have lost everything!

us
    Apr 2009
    18 times

Like if you posted something here and I had questions or wanted more info, I would PM you.
    And that would annoy me...

Sorry, some people just don't like PM's, emails, or phone calls from strangers. I can be active in a forum and not want to receive a bunch of unsolicited questions from people I don't know. But I'm cranky that way sometimes. Different people have different ideas on what is considered crossing the line in these types of scenarios. I work in technology and have a pretty good reputation for being an authority on a specific vertical in the industry. And sometimes I get unsolicited emails from people asking me to solve their problems for them. I am always courteous and let them know that they will pretty much have to solve their own problems. I get paid to do what I do and it is frustrating to have people wanting you to give them all of the answers without having to do any of the work or pay for it. It's a different scenario than what your brother is asking. But he is still asking someone else to spend time helping him instead of just doing the work himself.

Again, I don't know this guy. Perhaps he really is full of himself and is a real jerk. If so, then he deserves the bad publicity. If Jeff is right about who he thinks the author is then it sounds like he has treated others badly before. In that case it may eventually catch up with him. But he likely won't attribute it to his own actions and just blame others instead. That's the way people like that usually are.

us

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    21 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Maybe the guy is bi polar, because my brother said he had talked to the guy one other time and asked what kind of scoop he was using because it was unusual looking and not one he had seen on the market. The guy told him it was a custom scoop and the guy even sent him several more pics of the scoop. Maybe the reason he did this was because he was going to start marketing these scoops as well as books.
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver µMax
    6263 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by txkickergirl
    He was asking an expert who has used all 3 machines and has written 8 books on metal detecting, what made the whites the top choice in his opinion. He did not email this guy direct from the book...he emailed him off a forum where the guy is active. Like if you posted something here and I had questions or wanted more info, I would PM you. I wouldn't want to bother the person on the phone because they do have a personal life, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot off an email to ask the opinion, and whenever he could get around to it he could answer.
    Exactly!

I answer every PM I receive here--from which machine to recommend, to IDing finds, to finding sites, to techniques--you name it. I get around to answering every message sooner or later.

And I don't claim to be an expert...or write books on detecting to sell.

The guy is a jerk. And I want to know who it is, so that I can blacklist his books.

-Buck
    2019 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Solid Gold Monogrammed Thimble, c. 1840-50
    Civil War ID Disc
    1826 2 Reales
    Louisiana Pelican Civil War Button
    Eagle Cuff Button
    Eagle "I" Coat Button
    Colonial silver shoe buckle piece
    Boxlock Pistol hammer plate
    1865 2 Cent Piece
    1788, 1819 and one dateless Half Reale
    1848-O and 1854 Half Dimes
    1842-O, 1858, 1876-S and 1888 Seated Dimes
    1898 Hong Kong Dime Silver Coin (Queen Victoria)
    1905-O Barber Dime
    1942 and 1944-D Washington Quarters
    2 Silver "War Nickels"
    Silver "Indian Head" badge
    Maynard Carbine casings (Civil War)
    Louisiana Knights Templar Badge
    Shield Nickels
    V Nackles, Beefalo knuckles and Gaw Gag

OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Dec 2003
    34001 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I'v also told many it's not the type of
    Question I Can answer Or "Best thing to do
    is Post the Question"

But I always hope I am at least taken
    as civil even when i'm short & to the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links