Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had it set up on a dual boot. Somehow the loader got screwed up and I haven't gotten around to re-installing it. I have to say it's the most user friendly linux distro I've ever seen. It detected all hardware and I didn't have to manually install any drivers.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've considered duel-booting Windows 7 with Ubuntu (partitioned, of course) because I've heard they've improved ALOT in the newer versions... but have yet to do so.
I'm curious what others have to say about it....

Bran <><

S

Smee

Ray S ECenFL said:
Would like to know anyone who may have switched to ubuntu linux operating system. How do you like it if you have made the switch. :dontknow:

Thanks..

Of all the linux distros that I have installed, Ubuntu 2009 is my favorite. Installation of packages, the biggest pain in Linux, is much simpler now.

If you want to install a new package, it will also search and install all the packages you need to make it work . . . without having to spend all day online trying to figure out which package you need to download to make the package you need work.

They really did a nice job on the 2009. I have 2 personal machines at work, one has Ubuntu, the other Vi$ta --- because the boss wanted me to learn Vi$ta since we do work on computers when collections are slow.

Another version, which I am going to try on one of the store's computers is Elive. One of my buddies claims it is the most secure versions he has used. Guess I'll take a look.

But yes, Ubuntu is a good choice, especially to avoid the shock of leaving windows for a new OS. It comes with "Wine" which will allow you to run most Windows programs --- but NO windows gaming will happen. Just not made for it. That's why I'm posting this from Window$.

. . . for a list of the top 100 Linux distributions, go to www.distrowatch.com

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
I haven't used Ubuntu as such, but I have LinuxMint on one machine which is based on Ubuntu.
Except for some wireless problems I quite like it. Linux has come a long way.
PuppyLinux is one I have also used in LiveCD form.

Jay

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Smee said:
Ray S ECenFL said:
Would like to know anyone who may have switched to ubuntu Linux operating system. How do you like it if you have made the switch. :dontknow:

Thanks..

Of all the Linux distros that I have installed, Ubuntu 2009 is my favorite. Installation of packages, the biggest pain in Linux, is much simpler now.

If you want to install a new package, it will also search and install all the packages you need to make it work . . . without having to spend all day online trying to figure out which package you need to download to make the package you need work.

They really did a nice job on the 2009. I have 2 personal machines at work, one has Ubuntu, the other Vi$ta --- because the boss wanted me to learn Vi$ta since we do work on computers when collections are slow.

Another version, which I am going to try on one of the store's computers is Elive. One of my buddies claims it is the most secure versions he has used. Guess I'll take a look.

But yes, Ubuntu is a good choice, especially to avoid the shock of leaving windows for a new OS. It comes with "Wine" which will allow you to run most Windows programs --- but NO windows gaming will happen. Just not made for it. That's why I'm posting this from Window$.

. . . for a list of the top 100 Linux distributions, go to www.distrowatch.com

Thanks for the info and sharing the link

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I use an iso disk of Ubuntu. It gives you a lot of control over a machine- and leaves virtually no traces!

S

Smee

Arizona Bob said:
I use an iso disk of Ubuntu. It gives you a lot of control over a machine- and leaves virtually no traces!
Yep, those live CD's are nice . . . for those I prefer PCLinux or Dream Linux (makes your PC look and act kind of like a MAC)

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm running 9.04 on my notebook and 8.04.2 LTS on my raid server.

It's pretty good stuff, alot more stable than Windows especially considering it's free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread