Whats The Big Deal About Twitter?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's The Big Deal About Twitter?

Being a computer and electronic age i d i o t, I just don't get Twitter. Why is it so important? How will it change MY life? Society?
I just really don't have any use for it.
What say you?
Scott

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's The Big Deal About Twitter?

I too am wondering about Twitter?,I ve seen people at work twet someone that's just on the other side of the building instead of just walking over there and asking them the same question.To me it's another way for kids and the young(under 35years old) to be couch potatos and not have a face-to-face talk.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hahaha its nothing. all you do is update the whole world about EVERYTHING you do... ever second of your life!

i personally dont wanna know what people are doing all the time!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy said:
I too am wondering about Twitter?,I ve seen people at work twet someone that's just on the other side of the building instead of just walking over there and asking them the same question.To me it's another way for kids and the young(under 35years old) to be couch potatos and not have a face-to-face talk.

just the words "Tweating" on "Twitter"
Tells me it's not the type of place
I would be Comfortable at.

Not part of my Lifestile

alot of 13 year old Girls May like to "Tweat on Twitter"
But Not me.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

I have no use for it myself. For me, it comes in just below a cell phone in my priorities, although I do recognize the value of having a cell phone with you "just in case".

If you are doing this "Twitter thang", there are many strangers who may be able to establish your day to day patterns.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Cant speak of twitter but I do have a face book account and have been able to contact folks i havent talked to in 30 yrs (still looking for some) There is also alot of great Groups there including politcal, sports.. etc..etc.. Its a good sight.

Many tneters have joined and use it to stay in contact.
Even a Tnet fan group there. Check it out

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pages/TreasureNet-Forums/118256962636?ref=mf

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Twitter is a stupid fad. Who cares if you're sitting there watching T.V. or on a bar stool doing Improv narration to Deadliest Catch with the sound turned off.

Honestly, how insecure or arrogant do you have to be to use twitter?

I can see teenagers using it because every kid wants to feel like they fit in. Even if it's some fake internet friends. But when adults start talking about their social circles and get upset if there's a power failure and they can't check their myspace/facebook/twitter stuff.... :o WOW!

Guess that goes along with the true measure of a person, "...yeah, but can you change your own tire?"

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tricia said:
Twitter is a stupid fad. Who cares if you're sitting there watching T.V. or on a bar stool doing Improv narration to Deadliest Catch with the sound turned off.

I can see teenagers using it because every kid wants to feel like they fit in. Even if it's some fake internet friends. But when adults start talking about their social circles and get upset if there's a power failure and they can't check their myspace/facebook/twitter stuff.... :o WOW!

Guess that goes along with the true measure of a person, "...yeah, but can you change your own tire?"

its not a fad! a fad is something that only lasts a short time.. now this i cant wait to see fade out!
HAHHAHA oh wait... it wont! just like cell phones have not.....and wont!
i know many people that use facebook and twitter and also myspace to KIT with others...
most of us have moved off of simple email and moved onto things such as twitter or facebook to
be able to let others know whats going on in our lives... without having to sit down and type an email.
the only stupid thing about twitter is its only for letting people know what youre doing... where as facebook lets you
do tons of other things too.
but its not going anywhere.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Tricia said:

Pretty good Tricia :thumbsup:! The people that use twitter must be extremely arrogant and self involved to think that anybody really cares what they do on a minute to minute basis :-\.. Unless you are winning a gold metal, a national championship, or just found Noah's ark, keep it to yourself. People will act like they care only so you will act like you care when they tweet you.

My vote is fad! Teenage type fad that some adults feel compelled to glom on to.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

Mark my words, the next 'fad' for Twitter will be pictures. Yes, you'll be able to snap a pic of what you are doing and post it. Then other people also without lives will snap and post pics in return, or, if they aren't as lazy as the pic-snappers, they'll risk getting blisters on their fingertips by typing a response.
(Now watch someone steal this idea.... :D)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

"without lives" funny statment, what the hecks any of us doing here!

It was a whole diffrent word b-4 the internet

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I know quite a few people here in Seattle that use it for "grown-up" social networking. Job hunting, advertising, coordinating events for software/training/etc.

I know several people who have been hired as a result of connections on twitter.

Personally tho I find it a little too impersonal. For adults at least it's become a business tool, just like a telephone.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GPURS said:
Tricia said:

Pretty good Tricia :thumbsup:! The people that use twitter must be extremely arrogant and self involved to think that anybody really cares what they do on a minute to minute basis :-\.. Unless you are winning a gold metal, a national championship, or just found Noah's ark, keep it to yourself. People will act like they care only so you will act like you care when they tweet you.

My vote is fad! Teenage type fad that some adults feel compelled to glom on to.

you can follow EVERY major news site with twitter.... are young people following the news? no... but almost every
website has a small box that says "follow us on twitter". not kids websites... kids websites DONT have that option.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think I'd say Facebook is a fad, only because I've been using it for a good 5 or more years... and it's gotten better over the years. My thoughts on Twitter, however, are a little different. Pretty much, Twitter is the exact same thing as the Facebook "status" that you can update on your profile... except it only allows 140 characters... so "short messages" Oh, and nothing else but updates (Tweets)
The Facebook statuses used to be limited to 160 characters, until they changed that upon the last update to Facebook.
Anyway, I created a Twitter account because a bunch of people were requesting me to do so. I used it for about a month and then realized how pointless it was, and how apt to become a tool for spammers to get in contact with you (unlike Facebook)... so I stopped using it.
So there's my personal thoughts. :-\

Bran <><

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Letterman had a great comment about Twitter with guest Kevin Spacey. After Kevin explained the finer points of "Tweeting" Dave got excited and said "You know what that reminds me of? Oh yeah...a waste of time." :laughing9: A word of caution to you Tweeters: don't tweet while you walk. I've seen teens bumping into things because they had their heads down, engrossed in the latest message about nothing.

Does anyone have a friend/family member who's trying to recruit them into the latest social networking site? My sister keeps "friending" me and wants me to set up a Facebook account. I just can't be bothered spending that much time talking about myself!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread