Whats The Big Deal About Twitter?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8800 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What's The Big Deal About Twitter?

Being a computer and electronic age i d i o t, I just don't get Twitter. Why is it so important? How will it change MY life? Society?
    I just really don't have any use for it.
    What say you?
    Scott
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

us
    Dec 2008
    austin,texas
    Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
    506 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: What's The Big Deal About Twitter?

I too am wondering about Twitter?,I ve seen people at work twet someone that's just on the other side of the building instead of just walking over there and asking them the same question.To me it's another way for kids and the young(under 35years old) to be couch potatos and not have a face-to-face talk.

us
    "you can't fight with me...you're miniature...you fight like a hamster."

Nov 2008
    13 times

hahaha its nothing. all you do is update the whole world about EVERYTHING you do... ever second of your life!

i personally dont wanna know what people are doing all the time!

today and everyday ...... happy go lucky to be alive

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    34031 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Produce Guy
    I too am wondering about Twitter?,I ve seen people at work twet someone that's just on the other side of the building instead of just walking over there and asking them the same question.To me it's another way for kids and the young(under 35years old) to be couch potatos and not have a face-to-face talk.
    just the words "Tweating" on "Twitter"
    Tells me it's not the type of place
    I would be Comfortable at.

Not part of my Lifestile

alot of 13 year old Girls May like to "Tweat on Twitter"
    But Not me.

Mar 2007
    West "by god" Virginia
    Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
    10 times

I have no use for it myself. For me, it comes in just below a cell phone in my priorities, although I do recognize the value of having a cell phone with you "just in case".

If you are doing this "Twitter thang", there are many strangers who may be able to establish your day to day patterns.

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Cant speak of twitter but I do have a face book account and have been able to contact folks i havent talked to in 30 yrs (still looking for some) There is also alot of great Groups there including politcal, sports.. etc..etc.. Its a good sight.

Many tneters have joined and use it to stay in contact.
    Even a Tnet fan group there. Check it out

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pa...6962636?ref=mf
    Leave no stone unturned.

Mar 2007
    8 times

Twitter is a stupid fad. Who cares if you're sitting there watching T.V. or on a bar stool doing Improv narration to Deadliest Catch with the sound turned off.

Honestly, how insecure or arrogant do you have to be to use twitter?

I can see teenagers using it because every kid wants to feel like they fit in. Even if it's some fake internet friends. But when adults start talking about their social circles and get upset if there's a power failure and they can't check their myspace/facebook/twitter stuff.... WOW!

Guess that goes along with the true measure of a person, "...yeah, but can you change your own tire?"

us

Nov 2008
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia
    Twitter is a stupid fad. Who cares if you're sitting there watching T.V. or on a bar stool doing Improv narration to Deadliest Catch with the sound turned off.

I can see teenagers using it because every kid wants to feel like they fit in. Even if it's some fake internet friends. But when adults start talking about their social circles and get upset if there's a power failure and they can't check their myspace/facebook/twitter stuff.... WOW!

Guess that goes along with the true measure of a person, "...yeah, but can you change your own tire?"

its not a fad! a fad is something that only lasts a short time.. now this i cant wait to see fade out!
    HAHHAHA oh wait... it wont! just like cell phones have not.....and wont!
    i know many people that use facebook and twitter and also myspace to KIT with others...
    most of us have moved off of simple email and moved onto things such as twitter or facebook to
    be able to let others know whats going on in our lives... without having to sit down and type an email.
    the only stupid thing about twitter is its only for letting people know what youre doing... where as facebook lets you
    do tons of other things too.
    but its not going anywhere.

us
    Apr 2007
    N.E. of Atlanta

Pretty good Tricia ! The people that use twitter must be extremely arrogant and self involved to think that anybody really cares what they do on a minute to minute basis .. Unless you are winning a gold metal, a national championship, or just found Noah's ark, keep it to yourself. People will act like they care only so you will act like you care when they tweet you.

My vote is fad! Teenage type fad that some adults feel compelled to glom on to.

Nov 2006
    8 times

Mark my words, the next 'fad' for Twitter will be pictures. Yes, you'll be able to snap a pic of what you are doing and post it. Then other people also without lives will snap and post pics in return, or, if they aren't as lazy as the pic-snappers, they'll risk getting blisters on their fingertips by typing a response.
    (Now watch someone steal this idea.... )

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

"without lives" funny statment, what the hecks any of us doing here!

It was a whole diffrent word b-4 the internet
    Leave no stone unturned.

us
    Sarcastic Smartass

May 2003
    Spokane, Washington
    White's XLT
    6 times

I know quite a few people here in Seattle that use it for "grown-up" social networking. Job hunting, advertising, coordinating events for software/training/etc.

I know several people who have been hired as a result of connections on twitter.

Personally tho I find it a little too impersonal. For adults at least it's become a business tool, just like a telephone.
    Pics hosted with Dreamhost - http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?293800

us

Nov 2008
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by GPURS

Pretty good Tricia ! The people that use twitter must be extremely arrogant and self involved to think that anybody really cares what they do on a minute to minute basis .. Unless you are winning a gold metal, a national championship, or just found Noah's ark, keep it to yourself. People will act like they care only so you will act like you care when they tweet you.

My vote is fad! Teenage type fad that some adults feel compelled to glom on to.
    you can follow EVERY major news site with twitter.... are young people following the news? no... but almost every
    website has a small box that says "follow us on twitter". not kids websites... kids websites DONT have that option.

us
    "WP"

May 2005
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    White's IDX Pro, Vibraprobe 570, Minelab Explorer XS w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Sunray Stealth X-12 DD Coil
    138 times
    History, Metal Detecting, and Survival & Self-Sufficiency

I don't think I'd say Facebook is a fad, only because I've been using it for a good 5 or more years... and it's gotten better over the years. My thoughts on Twitter, however, are a little different. Pretty much, Twitter is the exact same thing as the Facebook "status" that you can update on your profile... except it only allows 140 characters... so "short messages" Oh, and nothing else but updates (Tweets)
    The Facebook statuses used to be limited to 160 characters, until they changed that upon the last update to Facebook.
    Anyway, I created a Twitter account because a bunch of people were requesting me to do so. I used it for about a month and then realized how pointless it was, and how apt to become a tool for spammers to get in contact with you (unlike Facebook)... so I stopped using it.
    So there's my personal thoughts.

Bran <><
    Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rom. 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    288 times

Letterman had a great comment about Twitter with guest Kevin Spacey. After Kevin explained the finer points of "Tweeting" Dave got excited and said "You know what that reminds me of? Oh yeah...a waste of time." A word of caution to you Tweeters: don't tweet while you walk. I've seen teens bumping into things because they had their heads down, engrossed in the latest message about nothing.

Does anyone have a friend/family member who's trying to recruit them into the latest social networking site? My sister keeps "friending" me and wants me to set up a Facebook account. I just can't be bothered spending that much time talking about myself!

Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links