Steam car land-speed record broken.

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Here is Fred Marriott in his Stanley Steamer who held the record for 103 years.

Stanley.jpg

And here is what it took to break it!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...r-smashes-100-year-old-land-speed-record.html

I don't know what they are so ecstatic about.... As one commenter said...

So 103 years later using the latest computer modelling available, state of the art wind tunnels, carbon fibre construction and Formula 1 technology - all they can do is add 12 mph to a record set by a bunch blokes with a welder a bike pump and a set of leather goggles ;D

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I would wonder just how accurate their 100 year old measurement really was...

Also, steam is steam. It is pretty easy to determine what the maximum thrust/power is that you are going to get out of it. The extra 12mph probably came exclusively out of optimising the vehicle through other means.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jb7487 said:
I would wonder just how accurate their 100 year old measurement really was...

Also, steam is steam. It is pretty easy to determine what the maximum thrust/power is that you are going to get out of it. The extra 12mph probably came exclusively out of optimising the vehicle through other means.

Hah, that's just a lot of hot air :laughing9:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool car, though.

Horsepower and thrust is just a function of math - but you're right - there are differences in aero-dynamics of vehicles, drag from bearings etc., size of tires, weather conditions - and the correctness of timing. We are able to time events much better now than 103 years ago.

B

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
They may have 'broken' the record, but needing a 3 ton car (was that an afterburner in the back?) vs. their much smaller competition? And I'm sure that if Marriott had run on the salt flats too he would have been even faster.
Not impressed. Having done it with such 'primitive' tech, Marriott still kicks their butt....

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Zephyr said:
They may have 'broken' the record, but needing a 3 ton car (was that an afterburner in the back?) vs. their much smaller competition? And I'm sure that if Marriott had run on the salt flats too he would have been even faster.
Not impressed. Having done it with such 'primitive' tech, Marriott still kicks their butt....
Yep !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions