Fixing broken words and phrases

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that we're well into the 21st Century it's high time we fix words that for decades have had awkward spelling. Most of these are due to roots in foreign languages but since they've been inaccurately pronounced for so long, we should simply adopt a new spelling. Some prime candidates for me are:

SUBPOENA - I recommend something closer to the actual pronunciation, like SUPEENA.

FEBRUARY - Drop that first R already, no one says it anyway.

ORANGUTAN - Adding another G at the end not only brings it in line with how every non-scientist pronounces it, but it gives it a much more pleasant, flowing sound.

MORTGAGE - Get rid of that T. It's no wonder people have difficulty learning English with useless letters like that.

A LOT - With much regret, I have to recommend that this phrase be combined into the already familiar and heavily-used ALOT. The internet has given it such renewed strength that there's no turning back now.

NEANDERTHAL - If anthropologists insist on pronouncing the end as TALL then drop that H and add another L. If not, we're saying THAL.

More?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teddy Roosevelt started a movement towards simplified spelling, but Congress didn't go for it. My fourth grade teacher always pronounced the 'r' in Febwary and I haven't heard anyone use orangutan in conversation in a while. I don't care about pronounciation, but most of the job applicants I deal with have such little skill in writing and spelling that we have changed our job applications from written to computer. They still screw it up.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even get me started on this, some comedians hit the nail on the head years ago like George Carlin and Steven Wright.

Why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway? SW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread