jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The U.S. Mint is searching for as many as six new designers to join its Artistic Infusion Program, whose members have designed several high-profile coins, such as the 2009 Lincoln bicentennial pennies.

Applications will be accepted starting Sept. 1. There will be three rolling deadlines: Nov. 9,; March 8, 2010; and July 6, 2010.

http://www.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2009/08/28/want-to-design-a-coin/

B

BIG61AL

I think that US coins were at one time very atractive coins. Then they put former presidents on them and just left them there.

cent since 1909 100 years
nickle since 1938 71 years
dime since 1946 63 years
quarter since 1932 77 years
half since 1964 45 years
dollar since 1986(?) changed to a liberty figure, since 2008(?) they are going back to presidents for a limited run
with the exception of the silver eagle dollar coin the us coins have been BORING!

In more than 200 year of our us history only presidents have been honored. Is there none among the millions of americans that are just not up to being put on coins? How about MLK or RFK? What do did you say? They had personnel issues.....Umm Washington and Jefferson OWNED SLAVES! But yet will have to look at their faces on coins every day. I haven't collected any US coins dated after 1900 for years because they were boring.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't think there should be any
Real Known people on U.S. coins

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I think native animals should be highlighted on coins before the critters all disappear
and to enhance national pride and respect.
This is our 5c coin which shows an Echidna (spiny anteater)

Attachments

• 5c coin.jpg
    5c coin.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Echidna.jpg
    Echidna.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 102

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a design idea for the quarter and I hope no one will steal it. For the face I would have Alfred E Newman with his motto "What, me worry". around the coin for the tail side, I would just have a map of the USA.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a new design I think it would be a good idea to have on the front for each coin each branch of service and on the back a soldier kneeling to a pair of boots, a helmet, and a weapon stuck in the ground and around the coin it should read, "Those who have sacrificed for your freedom"

But, we all know the goberment wants something else!

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
We could make a token or coin called the MDA Metal Detectorists of America.. :laughing7:

TheHarleyMan2 said:
If there is a new design I think it would be a good idea to have on the front for each coin each branch of service and on the back a soldier kneeling to a pair of boots, a helmet, and a weapon stuck in the ground and around the coin it should read, "Those who have sacrificed for your freedom"

But, we all know the goberment wants something else!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread