Keep your day jobs folks!

Nov 27, 2007
Valley of the Sun
I just got another pay cut at my current job! Now, with all the cut backs my pay checks are the same as they were when I first started working for the company 5 years ago! :-[ Some co-workers have threatened to quit, (and I have given it thought too) but there is no where else to go; at least nowhere that's going to pay what I'm making now...which really isn't much! Don't get me wrong, i'm happy and thankful for what I have. There are many people out there in much worse situations. I do feel that im being sorely taken advantage of because the company knows that people are happy just to have a job right now! I just read a story in the paper about a local fast food joint that decided to do some open interviews to fill a couple of minimum wage positions, according to the article over 200 people were lined up outside the place before it even opened! A sign of the times I suppose. If things are miserable at your job, think twice before leaving because its getting ugly out there!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where you work, Pirate Jack. The economy sucks, and the first place you go to cut costs is in payroll. If you work in retail, like I do, I feel sorry for you. Retail does not value experience and time on the job. A very good example, which I am facing now, is if I have an employee who makes 20 dollars an hour and has done the same job for 10 years, I could get rid of them and hire someone off the street for half the price who would do the same job. I could hire 2 people for what I'm paying that one person. I make about 65 grand a year, due to cost of living increases added for this area. Those no longer apply for this job in this area. Don't you think they will jump on the idea that they can get some young gun for about 35 grand, who will more or less do the same job? They'll do it, and eventually they'll find out it won't work in this part of the country where low rent housing is considered $1,000 a month. I hope you hang in there, bud.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi Pirate! It sucks for sure. My job is low paying, and getting lower with minimum wage going up, mine stays the same. So I'm actually going down the pay scale. When we were first married, I chose to stay home to raise our son. That meant living in poverty, though I never felt poor. Just going thru hard times. All those hard lessons of what i want vs. what i need, are what I'm falling back on now. My father was forced into "early retirement" when he was just 55. Now as my husband approaches that age window, and he has 25 years with his company, I feel the same threat for him. As trite as it sounds, all those little sayings, silver lining..., one door closes, another opens... when the going gets tough... can bring comfort emotionaly when there is no comfort materialy, or financialy. I hope I don't sound patronizing, I really feel for you. Been there done that, and it really looks like we're gonna do it again. But I don't feel sorry for us, I know we can survive. And still find joy in living. And I think I've used enough predictable sayings here, but here's one more

You aren't alone in how you feel.

naturegirl

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
:hello2: YEAH, the recession is over. :angry4:

That's what they are telling everybody. I think they're trying to brainwash the people. I can see my bank account and can assure you the recession is "NOT" over. So much for brainwashing me.

Hang in there. I think it's going to be a long ride. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread