Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: DIY Question - I hate my "popcorn textured ceiling"

thrillathahunt said:
Hey Nova....I didn't know you were a fellow drywaller? You did a great job on your ceiling!

Thanks, Yes I have been Drywalling ever since I was 12 yrs old and started running my own crew at 18 yrs old. I remember when i was 14 I was already walking on Stilts and my Dad used to make cardboard pads for my skinny legs lol, to help so I could Stay in the Straps.

Cool to Hear that your in the Business, I Hope everything is Good down your Way. Tough times for alot of people in Construction.

Nova Treasure

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Orange peel would cover those popcorn marks. It looks good.

It's spackled on after application from a mud gun.
After removing the popcorn first.
Newt

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Newt said:

Newt

Thanks Newt. :thumbsup: I'm getting it removed right down to the drywall so there will be no texture left at all!

I'm testing the removal process and the water is getting through the paint - so - tomorrow I start in earnest and should get it done pretty quick. It's peeling right off in sheets and sure beats the hard-scrape.

BEFORE AFTER.jpg

You have all been a great help by validating what I had already learned on-line and adding tons of more great information.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Montana Jim said:
Newt said:

Newt

Thanks Newt. :thumbsup: I'm getting it removed right down to the drywall so there will be no texture left at all!

I'm testing the removal process and the water is getting through the paint - so - tomorrow I start in earnest and should get it done pretty quick. It's peeling right off in sheets and sure beats the hard-scrape.

You have all been a great help by validating what I had already learned on-line and adding tons of more great information.

Awesome, Glad to Hear the water is taking it loose, Great call thrillofthehunt and others. We all have Our own ways of doing things and I am Glad you found the Easiest way for this Application.

:thumbsup:Nova Treasure

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fire ? :laughing7:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20

Yah, getting that stuff down is no prob. Now what you may find under it is a totaly different question. I hope everything looks good when it is all down.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Au24......I laughed when I saw your post about the stuff used in plastering, not at you of course, :icon_sunny: but just trying to imagine all of that stuff that used to be used in plastering. We have moved on abit since then, :D and its all up to date stuff now. That fan design is what we call artexing, and even that is becoming outdated over here now. At the moment it's the minimilistic look that many of the younger people are going in for, lots of stainless steel,... black and white furniture,.... "less is more" as they say. Personally I still like the older fashioned type of furniture.....deep easy chairs etc.

Shirley

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Dang- I wish I'da seen this earlier. Liquid nails and ceiling tile, you'da had that room done in two hours or less! :)

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeffro said:
Dang- I wish I'da seen this earlier. Liquid nails and ceiling tile, you'da had that room done in two hours or less! :)

Liquid nails? I've heard that is used in plumbing for water hammer. :laughing7:

Scott

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Jeffro said:

That would beat the stalactite's that are already there... LOL

This was the old ceiling...

stalactites.jpg

Mona Lisa said:
Looks great, Jimbo! :hello:

Thanks Lisa! :hello:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Whoa.
Newt

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
OKM, Whites, JW Fisher, Mala
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Who would have thought that ceiling popcorn would have such a following. LOL

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing9: so you call your ceiling "popcorn textured", I was talking with a friend of mine and had no clue to what she saying that her husband was scraping "cottage cheese" off the ceiling. I asked her how in the world did cottage cheese get on the ceiling :dontknow:...she laughed at me and explained about that blown on textured stuff. :laughing7:

Have fun Jim, be careful and don't fall off the ladder.

:wink: RR

jackie blue

Dec 4, 2003
NC

We dealt with this problem just today (I swear)

Our living room (the only room in the house with textured ceiling) is roughly 12X18. It was easy to scrape off texture with a putty knife. Today, we screwed 3/8" inch sheetrock on top (original ceiling is plaster with one long crack). We also taped today and tomorrow we hope to sand and spackle once more.

Looks better already, even with the roughed-in sheetrock.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

jackie blue said:
We dealt with this problem just today (I swear)

Our living room (the only room in the house with textured ceiling) is roughly 12X18. It was easy to scrape off texture with a putty knife. Today, we screwed 3/8" inch sheetrock on top (original ceiling is plaster with one long crack). We also taped today and tomorrow we hope to sand and spackle once more.

Looks better already, even with the roughed-in sheetrock.

Glad it was easy for you! You'll LOVE having that stuff gone...

:) I just scraped my stuff off too... it was easy, then I sanded and touched up a few cracks on the original ceiling - not perfect, but a million times better. The entire room is primed with some new baseboard. Still touching up some details and will be ready for paint soon.

It's taking a while since it's just a part time project.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread