9-11

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where were you 8 years ago and what were you doing?
I was building my Boss' house in Lawrence, Kansas. Was listening to the radio as usual, and a bulletin came over the airwaves. Everybody(me and one other guy, my boss was in California at the time) went home. I was glued to the TV for 3 days.
Do you remember the "coming together" of America?
We are all republicans, democrats, liberals, conservatives, etc. But the most important thing is that we are all AMERICANS!
Scott

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff and I were watching GMA as I usually do every am.... They went to the normal commercial and interrupted the ad and came back to Charlie and Diane they weren't sure what had happened a rocket ? ...a plane we thought at first small plane big planes weren't in that area and we were then seeing the building while watching I called my SIL he got Tammy up and she walked in just in time to see plane 2 hit! I looked at Jeff and I was asking him at first if the airline had sent a plane to ck on the 1st one when it hit I remember asking him did we just see what I think we just saw!

He called his boss hes from Jersey and he was up his brotherinlaw was in tower 6 (I think). It fell later that day, he had called and told his wife he was on his way out of the building it was 6 hours before he showed up at home after walking across the bridge to get home in Jersey.
His niece's boyfriend was in flight to Florida, and his brother was in downtown NYC. A family friend that lived here was there visiting their family and was on the house deck looking at the skyline enjoying a am cup of coffee when she saw it all happen she wasn't quite the same after.

Sorry this was so long.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
I was at work also, watching it on TV.
It was on our youngest son's birthday....we will never forget. :(

Timberwolf

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
I was fishing and got a text message saying "America under attack". I thought it was some sort of nuclear warning
from the phone company because i didn't recognize the number!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very lucky that day. I was supposed to go to the WTC and make sales calls on the freight forwarders that day, but our manager decided the day before to have a sales meeting on the 11th so I was in the office. Had I gone to the city, I would have still been OK as I would have arrived just around the time of the first strike. My only problem would have been finding a way back to NJ.

That morning I was able to see the aftermath of the 1st strike online and we were all stunned to say the least. After the 2nd strike it sunk in, it was not going to be a good day. For the remainder of the week I had two house guests that weren't able to get back to Staten Island.

That being said, I did lose one customer, she was the only one in her office not to get out. All of my other friends were lucky to escape with no harm.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at work at the New Jersey Air National Guard 177FW F-16 group and we had our fighters at the end of the runway waiting for takeoff for a bombing practice mission when the 2nd plane crashed into the twin towers our planes were called back to the ramp and we immediately started to remove the bombs and scrambled to put live air to air missiles on as many of our jets as possible and get them in the air.

The Federal Government in its infinite wisdom, just removed Air Defense as our mission a few years earlier, otherwise we would have had loaded with guns and missile aircraft on 5 minute alert out of Atlantic City, but, since they decided the Russian Bear flights were a thing of the past they took that mission away. Well, on Sep 11th, 2001 we became an Air Defense unit again with aircraft on alert.

The actual day of 911, I believe I got to work at 5:30am and don't think I got to go home till about 11pm that night and then for the next month it was 12 hour days, 7 days a week being at work and having F16s up in the air around the clock flying over NYC for air patrol. Months later we finally got help from other units in the country and our daily lives got more regular and back to 8 or 9 hour days. Myself and my son (he was in Security Police) were both activated that day for over a year.

I was a Plans & Scheduler of Maintenance and flying schedule so I was a busy puppy during those days, they flew the "crap" out of our jets with two having to be in the air 24/7 and sometimes more if we had to cover DC area also........

But, it was an honor to have a real mission during that time and luckily no repeat was ever attempted.

Don

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I am a school PTA physical therapy. I was parking to go into a elementary school to treat a child with Muscular Dystrophy when I caught on the radio that a plane had flown into the WTC. I got out thinking "The FAA is sure gonna be mad about this". I thought that they were talking about a small plane like the one that flew into the Empire State Building. The Principal was waiting on the late kiddos to show up and he joked with me saying "With our luck it is probably terrorist.". We both laughed and I went to see my kiddo. 15 min later we all knew better. The schools locked down and as I walked toward the front I ran into the Principal again. He looked at me and I could see the tears well up as he said "I didn't know Chris, I didn't know.". I patted him on the back and said "It's alright Johnny, neither did I." It was one of the saddest days of my life.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I was working in North Kansas City seal coating a parking lot when it came out on the radio. After the second plane hit and everyone knew it was no accident I saw gas jump to $5.00 a gallon immediately. We finished the day and spent the whole night glued to the TV and in total shock.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was taking my son to the doctor to get a cast removed from his hand , flipped on one of those zanny morning shows an listened to it for about 5 minutes , thought it all was a spoof until we went into the doctors office an everyone was crying an stunned , they where watching it all unfold on the tv, latter on that night we where on the fight path for the F-18 an Tomcats flying off Whidby Island ....was erie not seeing anything but fighters .

to those of 9/11 RIP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread