Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
levis_dad said:
Go get you some of the swimming pool chemical "Sock-It". Wet down the patio really well and sprinkle the Sock-It over the entire area. Let it set overnight if possible, then rinse with water.

It may take a couple packs of Sock-It if you have a large patio.

I do not have a pool so I am not familair with the pool chemicals, but will look into this also. Thanks for your input.

Ray S

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
GoodyGuy said:
Here is a good link on the subject of removing "Black Mold"

http://blackmoldremovalguide.com/

GG~

Wow, there is a ton of information there. I have browsed a lot of it and most of what I read deals with mold inside the home. I am lucky and it is NOT inside my house. Just on the concrete pavers outside in the backyard. I am going to book mark the link you sent me because it is a wealth of information. Thanks. One item I read:

"For instance, bleach is one of the most common household items that is said to eliminate molds like stachybotrys chartarum. But most bleach is diluted enough that it can’t penetrate deep down below the surface where the real problem lies. If however the fungus hasn’t come into contact with a porous surface such as a kitchen or bathroom countertop, then using bleach may actually eliminate the problem."

My wife has used full strength chlorine bleach and has not solved the problem.

Today, I used a commercial concrete cleaner ( left over from major oil leak on driveway from rental car driven by visiting in-law) and a scrubbed it in to the patio. Washed and followed up with an industrial degreaser (purple stuff). I did this to half the patio to see what the results were going to be. Most of the mold came up. There are still some signs of it but about 75% of it is gone. I have locally purchased some Spray and Forget Cleaner at local Ace Hardware. It is suppose to be some kind of miracle product. I sprayed it on the already cleaned area as well as the other half of the untouched patio.

Saw immediate reaction on the untouched side. I will Spray and Forget it till my Wife starts nagging me about how much worse it looks than before I sprayed it. Will have to get the garden house and brush out again. Until that happens I will wait and see if this stuff works as advertised.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In commercial construction we use muratic acid, though I think diluted clorox will work best in your case for mold. Make sure you have good ventalation in whatever you use ": )

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the acid will work but its brutal on the grass and anything else it touches , wicked bad for anything nearby that it comes in contact with (wild life wize)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Ray.
If the mold is really into the concrete, you'll need to break the surface tension of the water / bleach mix so that it can go into the pores. Do this with a little bit of liquid soap. Mix in some liquid dish soap by stirring it in, not agitating it. You don't really want a lot of suds.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bleach and elbow grease is most every professional's advice. Also, once you get it out, seal your concrete, or your patio, or where ever it is growing. And, you DO have to find out why you are getting it - a leaking downspout or a leaky window, or a bad drip edge on your roof - whatever it is.

Hospitals use bleach for a reason - bleach is the only thing that NOTHING can live in - including the aids/HIV virus and all other viruses.

Even teaching first aid and CPR, the medical community has gone to cleaning Resuscitator Annie with bleach, for that very fact. Plus, hydrogen peroxide will turn into plain water if left open, or when it gets older, thereby losing any effectiveness it may have had. It's great for bacteria and organic matter, but will not kill most viruses.

B

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs. O:
Back in the 1960s, there was some stuff discovered in Viet Nam that even Clorox couldn't wash off. ;D At least........ that was the rumor. :dontknow:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn them over ::) no really Im not joking

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
It takes a while for the Spray and Forget Cleaner to do its job but the paito is looking much better. The half that was only sprayed with the Spray and Forget is as clean as the half that I scrubbed on with two different products. Impressive. Will give it a few more weeks to work and then I will seal the stones with a concrete sealer.

Thank you all for your advice.

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread