Anyone have a home remedy for killing mold on concrete

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bleach should do it. (do not dilute) Use either Regular Clorox or Ultra Clorox, full strength and leave it on 24 hrs.
Do not use Clorox II, because there is no chlorine in it. Clorox Ultra germicidal would be the strongest mold killer of all.
Wear a mask when using, to avoid breathing fumes.

Warning! do not add ammonia. It would cause a deadly chlorine gas that could kill or blind humans or pets.
You probably already know this, but someone else reading may not. Several are killed each year from accidental exposure to the combination.

If the mold is inside your home, get a professional or it will likely keep coming back.

GG~

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
GoodyGuy said:
Just pour bleach on it.

Agreed - will lots of elbow grease. Mix it with water though I would think... 1 to 5 maybe.

If it's an indoor problem you'll need to fix the humidity issues too, or and leaks, in an effort to stop the mold from returning.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
For my driveway and pool deck, I use a pump sprayer to spray bleach on the mold/mildew, then take a pressure washer to it. Works for a year and longer. If your problem is indoors, better find out where the mold is getting the water it needs first....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Zephyr said:
For my driveway and pool deck, I use a pump sprayer to spray bleach on the mold/mildew, then take a pressure washer to it. Works for a year and longer. If your problem is indoors, better find out where the mold is getting the water it needs first....

This has worked for me as well. I let it sit overnight. You can tell which neighborhood cats have been there. They all have white feet.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.I.B. said:
Zephyr said:

This has worked for me as well. I let it sit overnight. You can tell which neighborhood cats have been there. They all have white feet.

:laughing7:
Scott

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would go with bleach too. I would dilute mine to about 1 to 5. In the hospitals we use 1 to 10 to kill the HIV virus. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
GoodyGuy said:
Bleach should do it. (do not dilute) Use either Regular Clorox or Ultra Clorox, full strength and leave it on 24 hrs.
Do not use Clorox II, because there is no chlorine in it. Clorox Ultra germicidal would be the strongest mold killer of all.
Wear a mask when using, to avoid breathing fumes.

Warning! do not add ammonia. It would cause a deadly chlorine gas that could kill or blind humans or pets.
You probably already know this, but someone else reading may not. Several are killed each year from accidental exposure to the combination.

If the mold is inside your home, get a professional or it will likely keep coming back

GG~

Mold is on outside patio.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ray S

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, I have the same problem...I pressure wash, there's a nozzle thingie that goes into a bleach bottle and it sucks up bleach with water in a soak mode. After so many minutes, I start the blasting off. The brick patio does the same, when it rains I just add bleach to the bricks and let the rain water do it's thing.

:wink: RR

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Too bad the hospitals don't use what really works. Hydrogen Peroxide disinfects better than bleach and doesn't stink. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I understand that pressure washing concrete causes small pits that collects water that helps mold to grow. I have never used a pressure washer.

I am going to research some products that are made to get rid of mold and mildew and see what kind of user reviews that get.

http://www.amazon.com/Forget-800003-2GAL-Forg-Remover/dp/B001GTRBMO

One such item that the users are happy with. I am still searching other items. Thanks for your inputs.

Another product is called Spray and Forget cleaner. Has some good reviews.

Ray S

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
jb7487 said:
For heavy duty cleaning mix TSP (trisodium phosphate) with bleach. Google for it.

Just read an article yesterday from someone who used TSP with Bleach and they said it did a good job. Keeping that in mind. Thanks.

Ray S

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
scrub it with 3/4 bleach and 1/4 water + a large dose of Joy dish soap, then rinse it clean. it will kill the growth, and will also remove it. (reverse the percentages of bleach and water, for a daily boat wash solution)

if it is a large area such as on a foundation, ( the 3/4 bleach solution, also works well for removing bottom growth from a freshly hauled out boat), use pump sprayer and soak it all down with the above solution, and let it set for a few min. (to allow the bleach to work), then pressure wash it.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Are you sure it's not sulphur? I noticed you were in central Florida. I had a similar problem there.
It was a stain not mold.
Newt

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Go get you some of the swimming pool chemical "Sock-It". Wet down the patio really well and sprinkle the Sock-It over the entire area. Let it set overnight if possible, then rinse with water.

It may take a couple packs of Sock-It if you have a large patio.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
River Rat said:
Ray, I have the same problem...I pressure wash, there's a nozzle thingie that goes into a bleach bottle and it sucks up bleach with water in a soak mode. After so many minutes, I start the blasting off. The brick patio does the same, when it rains I just add bleach to the bricks and let the rain water do it's thing.

:wink: RR

RR,

The patio is made of concrete paver stones. It has been in place for a couple of years. This is the worst I have had the mold problem, so far. Normally it is worst in summer due to all the rain. My wife has been hitting it with bleach but it was a losing battle so I decided to ask if anyone had any suggestions.

I will probalby use the bleach and TSP mix as a maintenance treatment after I get it clean and sealed. I understand Quickcrete has a good sealer. Looking into that too.

Thanks for your input.

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread