Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must confess I have taken to going prospecting in disguise. The City was redoing some of the old sidewalks and I was trying to keep up with the crews and hit it right after the old sidewalks are removed and before it is leveled and readied for the new cement. Since these sidewalks are always on the "parking" (the area the city claims as easement along a street), abuting homeowners often get upset. So, I went to Lowes and bought a yellow hard had and l had an orange hunting vest. I found that when I put these on I rarely get questioned about my presence. If asked I just make some vague remark about replacing the sidewalk, usually just nonsense and they just ignore me. Usually I just say,"The City is replacing the sidewalk", which they already know and it means nothing. But most of the time they don't even ask. Someone else told me they used this method and dang if it don't work! But I must confess I felt really conspicuous at first until I found out how well it works. I have actually walked right up to a site just to look it over when the crews are working and they ignore me. They are private contractors and don't now who is supposed to be there. Be sure to keep out of the way however and don't say you represent the City or anything like that or you could get into trouble. It's kind of fun now going in disguise. Monty

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The best hiding place is often in plain sight.

If you simply stand there with a cup of coffee staring blankly into space everyone will think you're a supervisor. Won't find much doing that though...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When asked what my ideal job would be I told my sister I'd like to be a "pointer". She didn't know what that was. I told her it was the guy who worked on a city crew who stood around with a cup of coffee and pointed at five or six guys who were working. Strange you should mention that. Monty

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great technique! lol I'd love to see a photo of you in your gear... ;D

Bran <><

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, Yes I know it works and people just ignore you for the most part.
When my partner and I go together we take turns holding the coffee or clipboard and pointing, while the other detects. :laughing7:

GG~

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you blend because you seem to fit in that "group" --hunters of old would take the hide and head of killed herd animal and drape it over them and use it to creep up on their next victim in the herd --the herd just sees "another one of them" and thinks nothing of them --- its same blend in "mind game" ---never lie -- never say you work for the city * or any other "offical group" --- if asked mumble that your buzy and have no time for idle chit chat as you have to get this done today. ;D :icon_thumright: -- things get "odd" just say ---gotta go and leave ------ odds are good to excellent no one will even approach or ask you who you are or what your doing --so long as you stay in the city's "public" owned area and out of the way of the workers --- :wink: :icon_thumright: if caught say the vest and hat were for safety as you detected -- just like they are for the "other folks" there.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another suggestion as to your "work" on the job there. Since people will see you with a metal detector, you can always say you're testing for Radon. That should hold em, especially when you give the all clear and a big :icon_thumleft: :laughing9:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: lol ok you guys are to much , I can see Hunters all over the US now infultraiting construction crews to make the big finds lol , this is great lol :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Ivan I see you are well versed in the art of disguise. :hello2: I don't worry about getting caught because it is not illegal to begin with. But it will sure save you a lot of time BSing with the locals. A lot of times it won't hurt to tell the contractor foreman what you are up to and for God's sake stay out of the way! Monty

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff ! I wonder how hard is to convert a weed whacker into a metal detector???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well in some places those "areas" are considered "construction zones" thus off limits -- if their not in your area ---then by all means -- feel free to go there "dressed up" -- after normal hours is often best , so as not to bother the working men on the site * --- if some buzy body nosy local land owner types pester you ( which is highly unlikely if your dressed right with hard hat and safety vest) simplely say ---sorry but I'm busy and I got to get this done , sorry no time to chat. -- if they become a real pest just leave that spot --there will be other spots. :wink: :icon_thumright: --- of course never "say" your from any "offical group" or from the city -- let em "think what they like " -- but never lie -- since you can not be held accountible as to what they in error "think" you are. :wink: :icon_thumright:--- so long as its not a "offical uniform" and you do not say you are with "so and so" --its their dumb thinking ;D

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! I have actually done this. I have a battery operated scanner and I'll turn it on with low volume and have it clipped to my belt. When anyone comes up, they will hear the scanner and THINK everything is legit. I do not pretend to talk into the scanner. I just let the scanner calls be heard. Usually they will get bored after a minute and leave. I say the same things; "gotta get this done today", or "the city has authorized a new sidewalk", etc. Be vague and NEVER lie or claim affiliation with any entity, not even the city dog catcher.
Scott

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I've done this as well, it does work! It also has helped when I borrowed a friends construction truck to drive to the site.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is important to note that by using this "disguise" you are not doing anything illegal unless the area is declared a no trespass zone by the City or County due to some kind of safety hazard. If that is the case, hopefully signs will be posted. If no signs are posted, the worse they can do is ask you to leave. And I would leave in that case without causing a scene. I am not advocating the disguise as a means to circumvent the law, rather as to take advantage of a small window of opportunity. The sidewalk or street construction may only take two or three days and you may only have a few hours of opportunity to get in and get out. At other times I have cleared it with the site superintendent ahead of time and have never been turned down. He/she may only caution you to be mindful of the equipment and not to dig in areas that are already prepped for repaving or pouring of concrete. It is helpful that I am a friend of the guy in charge of permits for construction, etc, and he will vouch for me if the project is in the city limits. If you have the opportunity find out who does that in your jurisdiction and try to develope good rapport with him or her. If you screw up, he will be the one where the buck stops and if he knows you it helps to be able to explain your version of what happened. Monty

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you found anything under the sidewalks?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K*E*L*L*Y said:
have you found anything under the sidewalks?

ummmmm dirt? LOL
Older coins and artifacts are basically undisturbed from the weather conditions andfrom "sinking" deeper than a coin dropped next to the side walk when it was built.
I have found older coins like wheaties and Indians that were merely toned nicely. It depends when the sidewalk was poured.

And more revelations; According to the group "The Talking Heads" there's water at the bottom of the ocean! :laughing7:
Scott

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Kelly, I was all set and that's when I became ill last time. I am waiting on the to start of a new project as soon as the Obama money is filtered down. At least tht's what they are telling me. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread