SOP!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Cash for Clunkers

I guess they have their facts and figures right; just maybe I am on the wrong page…

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.
A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.
So, the average "Cash for Clunkers" transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.
They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million gallons / year.
That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.
5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption.
And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $70/bbl.
So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.
How good a deal was that ???
They'll probably do a great job with health care though!!

S

Smee

warsawdaddy said:
Cash for Clunkers

I guess they have their facts and figures right; just maybe I am on the wrong page…

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.
So, the average "Cash for Clunkers" transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

Math's flawed . . . we didn't get quite that much return . . . Remember, we were supposed to be saving a bunch of oil. If we take that 15 mpg clunker off the road and replace it with a 30 mpg gas miser, it works out.

If we replace that 25 mpg vehicle with a 30 mpg miser, it is only 5 mpg savings . . . and we really don't get anything.

Worse yet, them high mileage cars are going to travel more miles because they get better MPG, and the people will be willing to put the miles on em. Besides, the poorest people have the worst MPG vehicles . . . most polluting . . . and we couldn't afford to buy the new cars. The decent clunkers that weren't polluting were destroyed so they couldn't be sold to the poorer folks who could have retired their mosquito foggers.

Universally stupid idea.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
warsawdaddy said:
Cash for Clunkers

Math's flawed . . . we didn't get quite that much return . . . Remember, we were supposed to be saving a bunch of oil. If we take that 15 mpg clunker off the road and replace it with a 30 mpg gas miser, it works out.

If we replace that 25 mpg vehicle with a 30 mpg miser, it is only 5 mpg savings . . . and we really don't get anything.

Worse yet, them high mileage cars are going to travel more miles because they get better MPG, and the people will be willing to put the miles on em. Besides, the poorest people have the worst MPG vehicles . . . most polluting . . . and we couldn't afford to buy the new cars. The decent clunkers that weren't polluting were destroyed so they couldn't be sold to the poorer folks who could have retired their mosquito foggers.

Universally stupid idea.

Absolutely Correct !

They probably would have made out better giving
us People who can't afford New cars
(Or even Used Cars) Even up trades
on Used Vehicles,
or even the so-called Clunkers

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better yet, switch to bicycles :laughing9: The Chinese had down that for decades and now that they are all driving, China is the largest oil consumer. Remember with bicycles no gas is necessary and we will save billions of barrels of gas and the tax money that goes along with it.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Best yet... stay the hell out of peoples business and pockets and stop spending my tax monies to help others.

The entire thing was a feel good spending spree to buy votes - not cars.

IMO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would have been better money spent to have given taxpayers a tax auto rebate of $3500, used towards car purchase 2005 and newer, 20mpg or better, and then made the manufactors give us a 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty on all new autos, if they wanted the bailout money.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Just another way to get people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
New information I just heard on the radio show The Watchdog on Wallstreet (Chris Markowski) : 25% of the folks who took advantage of this government vote buying deal is now into payments they cannot afford, and wish they didn't make the trade.

I'm not suprised...

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
MJ, wasn't there someting recently about folks buying houses they didn't qualify for?
Banks losing money and stuff?
Bailouts and other words come to mind but I forget a lot these days as I cannot afford my meds.

Grey

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
greydigger said:
MJ, wasn't there someting recently about folks buying houses they didn't qualify for?
Banks losing money and stuff?
Bailouts and other words come to mind but I forget a lot these days as I cannot afford my meds.

Grey

:laughing7:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
just some out the box thinking, since the other way doesnt seem to be working
as planned LOL
you know if the gov, would have gave every adult, in this country a 1 mill$ check
tax free, that would be around 400 mill$, i think that wouldve boosted my end
of the economy, and at a cheaper price of what was it 800 bill$
geeezzz some folks might, have even bought a new car, paid their house note,
card notes, ect. but we will never know

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
cw0909 said:
as planned LOL
you know if the gov, would have gave every adult, in this country a 1 mill$ check
tax free, that would be around 400 mill$
, i think that wouldve boosted my end

That's only 400 adults... did I read that wrong?

The U.S.Census Bureau reports that in 2007 The population of the U.S. was 301,621,157. They also estimate that 25% of those folks are under the age of 20.

Given that, the 2007 "adult" population is someplace around 75,405,289 (a little higher in 2009). If they all received $1M, that would cost the government about $75,405,289,000,000 (that's seventy-five trillion, four hundred five billion, two hundred eighty nine million - ish).

I think.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
New information I just heard on the radio show The Watchdog on Wallstreet (Chris Markowski) : 25% of the folks who took advantage of this government vote buying deal is now into payments they cannot afford, and wish they didn't make the trade.

I'm not suprised...
I heard that the clunker rebate is concidered "income" by the irs , and will be Taxed !

'

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
mojjax said:
Montana Jim said:

I'm not suprised...
I heard that the clunker rebate is concidered "income" by the irs , and will be Taxed !

This is both right AND wrong. SNOPES states it depends on what state you live in!
http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/clunkers.asp

I guess it's NOT going to be federally taxed. http://moneyning.com/tax/cash-for-clunkers-tax-rules-the-truth/

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Montana Jim said:
cw0909 said:
as planned LOL

The U.S.Census Bureau reports that in 2007 The population of the U.S. was 301,621,157. They also estimate that 25% of those folks are under the age of 20.

Given that, the 2007 "adult" population is someplace around 75,405,289 (a little higher in 2009). If they all received $1M, that would cost the government about $75,405,289,000,000 (that's seventy-five trillion, four hundred five billion, two hundred eighty nine million - ish).

I think.

no you read right, my typing, and multiplication are wrong,
i meant bill$ where it says MILL$, and still left out a
set of 000, thanks for the correction
thats what i get for thinking out of box,well back to my box,
now all i need is an address for my box

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
cw0909 said:
Montana Jim said:
cw0909 said:
as planned LOL

I think.

no you read right, my typing, and multiplication are wrong,
i meant bill$ where it says MILL$, and still left out a
set of 000, thanks for the correction
thats what i get for thinking out of box,well back to my box,
now all i need is an address for my box

Either way... the goverment has NO business giving it away... that was my tax monies. :(

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Jim, you are exactly right. It is your money, my money, and a lot of other taxpayers money. We live in a repesenative republic(little r). Our repsenatives are supposed to support the desires of the majority of the members of his or her district. Therein is the rub. They do not represent us any more, regardless of party. Now I may view the Democrats as as more corrupt with ACORN being just one example, but the Majority of the repesenatives in both houses depend on us to abdicate our decision making to them regardless of how we feel. I conclude by saying that some of our citizens may want the cash for clunkers program regardless of how silly of a ideal it is. Therefore I feel that any large spending bill must be subjected to a public vote. Like you said Jim, it is our money. I would accept C for C as the will of the people if it passed a public referendum even if I do not agree with it. We need to take our power back, and it was not right of them (Congress and the President) to pass huge spending bills like for the war in Iraq, Stimulus I, Leman Bros buyout,Stimulus II, Omnibus, Cash for Clunkers, Medical reform etc................. without a public referendum.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well If the Gov didn't spend any of your Tax dollars
on Public Help Programs, They would have
more Money for Fighting wars,
Giving it to other Countries,