Primary Interest:
Other

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, Mamabear, in answer to your question about which size to use. I use paint, too and I
drop my resize to 640 by 480 After I do one that size the next time I resize another the
dropbox will automatically show that size unless it is from a different source than my
camera. on my screen it seems to be a good size when looking at a finished post, especially
if I have more than 1 pic. That should be a little better with your dialup than the larger
sizes. I hope this helps you.

Have a good day and good luck with them,

Ray

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanx guys. I really don't have a problem w/ sending, but a lot of the posts have pix too big for me to look at. just hoping others will look at this & take your advice Ray. nothin worse than looking at awesome finds & not being able to see the last ones.

S

Smee

If there was a poll, my vote would be 800 X 600. Big enough for good detail, small enough to load even with dialup.

Another trick, save as a jpg at about 80% quality (some programs do this backwards and you save at 20% compression --- its the same thing). Your eye will usually not see a difference, but your download speed will.

As far as resizing pictures, I prefer to use GIMP. It comes with a bunch of built in filters and plugins and it's free at http://www.gimp.org --- I prefer it to Photoshop, however, I should remind you that your mileage may vary.

Did the clouds in my avatar with Gimp, and animated it with DrawPlus from Serif (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com for free older versions of the software).

S

Smee

Until about a year ago, I was still on dialup . . . 26.4 on a good day. Makes you think about download speed.

As a web designer, I have to take that into consideration when building websites. If the target audience is rural, it will be optimized for speed (tractor sites, tack sites, etc.). If it is for a more populated area, towns with broadband, then the graphics will be more detailed, there will be more flash, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread