Say brother, can you spare 403 tons of gold?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
International Monetary Fund Announces Small Gold Sale

By Patrick A. Heller, Market Update

September 21, 2009

After all the world's gold markets had closed Sept. 18, the International Monetary Fund announced that its proposed sale of 403 tons of gold (12.96 million troy ounces) will actually happen.

This announcement is almost the ultimate trump card released by the U.S. government and its allies trying to suppress the price of gold. In my judgment, it will quickly fail at this purpose.

Through Sept. 18, the price of gold had closed over $1,000 on the COMEX for six consecutive days, including two consecutive Fridays. As each day passes with a close above $1,000, it becomes less likely there could be any significant decline below that threshold.

For the first three trading days after the price of gold closed over $1,000, my own company experienced a huge increase in the volume of sellers liquidating their gold and silver and very little demand from buyers. Since last Wednesday, the sellers have continued actively selling. However, buyers increased their purchases so that net activity was approximately in balance or tilted toward more customers buying than selling for the rest of the week. As I write this, most products are still readily available and a few premiums have even dropped slightly.

The timing of the announcement of the IMF gold sale is almost sufficient proof by itself that this action is an effort to hold down gold prices. Normal market announcements are made when markets are open and there is an opportunity for the market to reflect the impact of the news. If the U.S. government has bad news to release (FDIC bank closures being perfect examples), it is almost always done after markets are closed late Friday  timed so that it is almost impossible to make the Saturday news coverage, after which it gets little coverage Sunday or Monday because it is "old" news.

In this particular instance, the announcement was timed to hang over the market for 48 hours until Asian markets opened late Sunday night (in terms of U.S. time zones). With markets closed, buyers were unable to quickly jump in to buy gold and demonstrate the strength of gold demand.

In late April, the Chinese government offered to purchase the entire 12.96 million ounces of this proposed IMF gold sale. In fact, China offered to purchase the IMF's entire gold holdings of around 103 million ounces. With the recent surge in demand for gold from China, India and Russia, it is obvious that the IMF's small gold sale would almost certainly be snapped up by central banks. As a consequence, it is pretty safe to assume that none of the IMF gold would ever be available to private buyers.

However, the timing of the announcement is also highly suspicious for another reason. It came just a few days after Barrick Gold Corp. announced that it was booking a $5.6 billion loss for its hedging activities (possibly exceeding the company's combined profits for the past 20 years) and was technically defaulting on their gold hedges by trying to settle part of them for cash instead of returning the gold as required in the contracts. Such a default could put increased pressure for higher gold prices.

It is possible that Barrick Gold, an admitted close partner of the U.S. government in past gold price suppression schemes, will be bailed out of their current default by being allowed to buy some of this IMF gold. Were this event to occur, it would almost certainly be done for political reasons.

Politicians have been using the threat of an IMF gold sale on the scale of 400 or 403 tons since the early part of this decade. Each time it was obvious (to those who really understand the gold market) that such announcements were intended solely to hold down gold prices. It was also obvious that the IMF was not actually going to conduct a gold sale until just about all other price suppression efforts had ceased to work. To me, the price of gold holding above $1,000 for several days makes the announcement of the IMF gold sale a desperate and near end-of-the-line effort to hold down gold prices.

Earlier this year the IMF had stated that any gold sale it might conduct would be within the limits of the Central Bank Gold Agreement, meaning that the IMF sales would be conducted over a minimum of two years. By giving the world 48 hours to digest the news of the IMF gold sale before any markets could trade, the news media had the opportunity to falsely spread the specter that a large quantity of gold was soon to be dumped on the market.

It is no surprise, therefore, that the US gold market opened this morning slightly under $1,000. As of this writing, the spot price has climbed back above $1,000, prompted by demand from bargain hunters.

I think the announcement of the IMF gold sale will fail at suppressing prices in the immediate and the long term. In the immediate term, the small scale of the proposed sale and the existing demand to absorb the entire amount in one transaction is likely to result in only a temporary dip in the price of gold - that even now may already have passed. In the long term, once the IMF sells this gold they will no longer be able to threaten to sell it.

There is suspicion that the IMF may not have all the gold in its reserves that it claims. In theory, its holdings are stored in vaults in the U.S., Britain, India and one other country. In April 2008, IMF officials responded to questions about the status of their gold reserves. Their answers specifically avoided stating that it had custody of all of its reserves, though the replies were carefully worded to appear to imply that it did. It is entirely possible that some of the supposed IMF gold reserves are being double counted by some central banks as part of their own reserves. Even further, some of these holdings may be subject to other ownership claims. By selling some of its gold holdings the IMF may eventually be forced to accurately report the status of its remaining reserves.

Other developments-

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=7691

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
What do you think?

As the price of gold goes up, the dollar weakens.

Hooplah or chutzpah?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
lets say i have, 203 grams of i think its called scraped, refined gold
how would the imf sale, affect me, say from now to the end of the year

markets, commodities, ect are very confusing to me
geeezz my money market fund made a whole 12 bucks in 6.5 months
not that it was doing a whole lot better b4 2007

desertgoldman

Greenie
Sep 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab
Sorry,sir, I can't spare even a gram of my hard won gold. But because I believe your message is important I present this to our gold-seeking brethren here - knowing that there's a current anti-reading trend throughout the world today.

Good hunting! :)

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I heard my friend talking about this sale to flood the market with gold. I knew there was a catch to the story since the price of gold was still at about $1,000 an ounce. I like seeing the origin of the story for the reality of what's up with the market and how politics has a play in this scenario.

Thanks for the article Jeffro.

C

Cappy Z.

The simple Truth is twofold. We actually are talking about the devaluation of US currency. And it is going to happen big time. I guess if one buys and holds gold then the value in terms of US dollar multiples goes up given one can then sell the gold for many more cheaper (valued) dollars. Secondly Gold is just a commodity. The fact that the Chinese have a great demand for it for tangible goods like computers etc means of course they 'need' it to 'use' it. I can understand then planning ahead for the future not wanting to pay more for gold then they have to. I don't see them as buying it intentionally to devalue the US dollar. They need for us to buy their junk.

Anyway, I can see the price of the commodity gold reaching $1500 an ounce by next summer. Whether this is true 'value', I don't think it matters. What matters is basic free enterprise...Buy low..sell high.

My two shekels.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
What seems to be happening here is an attempt by the IMF to stabilize the dollar. If this gold sale does not take place, we are headed for super inflationary times, where a loaf of bread could cost ten bucks lets say.

GATA has been investigating the feds control over the gold price for several years now, and until recently has met with many obstacles in their quest for the truth- price controls by the feds, supressing the price of gold. If you keep the price of gold down, the US dollar is strengthened. Stability, if you will. Of course inflation still goes on, but at a much more managable level.

Due to the age old equation of supply and demand, gold has remained fairly stable until recently. This is because of the feds manipulation. When the market for gold seems ready to bust loose and take off, all the fed has to do is hint that they will be selling off a portion of their reserves, and the price drops accordingly, stabilizing the dollar once again.

Since the bailouts, as aptly pointed out in the video above, we have printed 3 to 4 times the amount of dollars as have ever been in existance in the last ten years. If you think about it, since there are 3-4 times as many dollars floating around, inflation HAS to take hold.

Since we are dealing with a much larger scale now, the feds standard holdoff no longer has the same effect. There are even conspiracy theorists out there who believe (and may be right) that the US no longer has much left in its gold reserves at all.

So now its the IMF stepping in to try and stabilize the dollar.

We'll see what happens. But the standard "buy low, sell high" doesn't apply here. You can sell as high as you want, but what good is it when a 1,000 dollar item now costs you 10 or even 100 thousand?

Think Mexican currency and you'll start to get a better picture.

We have all heard that the dollar today is worth only 12 cents (or whatever) in comparison to (insert date here) dollars. So if thats what devaluation has done since then, what do you think is gonna happen now that we've printed three times the amount of dollars that have ever been printed, in ten short years?

An ounce of gold in 1900 could buy you a nice suit. An ounce of gold today today will still buy you a nice suit. Its a helluva lot more stable than the dollar.

I see this as an attempt to stabilize the US economy, a last ditch effort.

If you put your money in gold hoping to get rich and the value of those dollars is squat, what have you gained? Hold your gold! You can always sell it for Francs or what have you. So you're basically "getting rich" betting on the decline of the American economy.

If gold does take off like its supposed to, just be ready for hyper-inflation to follow.

C

Cappy Z.

I think you are absolutely right Jeffro.

I also believe that once gold takes off..other commodities..like wheat..corn..oats..will follow.

Cap Z.

desertgoldman

Greenie
Sep 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab
Not sure about "absolutely right". Think more like Zimbabwe than Mexico.

Gold and silver will be accepted at any black market in which you'll be likely to buy a loaf of bread. I like small denominations so that when I buy that loaf of bread I may get it for one pre '65 silver dime as opposed to a trillion or so dollars of paper money.

Check out all three parts of this series:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread