Any HVAC folks out there??? (central heating problem - gas)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Heater was working fine last winter. Killed the pilot as I do every beginning of summer. NOW, it's end of summer, and it recently got cold, so I lit the pilot, then turned on the Heat... The unit sits there for a few minutes to heat up the furnace, and then blower kicks on like it's blowing hot air, but there are no flames on the flame bars. Just the pilot light, yet it blows like it's thinks that the flame bars are on....

Ideas? (Air is already purged).

BTW, I'm a guru at fixing stuff, so don't feel hesitant to give me technical terms... (and please don't ask that I call a proffesional.. -I'm supposed to 'be' a profesional) ;)

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
Check the gas valve.
Also, check the thermostat. It has a heat anticipator it that may have been moved, bumped.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I had that problem with my Buffalo brand and a rat had crapped partly on the pilot orifice making
the flame too small/weak to activate the thermocouple.
Clean the pilot hole with a pin/needle.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I figured it out. ...During the pilot lighting process, you turn one direction, push down and lite the pilot and wait, then turn fully to the 'on' state. .... I was pressing down for 15 seconds and waiting, then released without turning to the on, position. I guess somethings that I take for granted, need to be re-read again since a year ago.

Now it just stinks like this summers dust that has collected is now burning in the system... (typical smell from the first turn on since the summer).

//yeah, I feel a little stupid.

thanks all. I guess even the best of us need to stop and read the directions once in a while, despite how smart we think we are.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
You must be a yong-un. After turning on my Buffalo each winter for 40 years,
I'd have to have Alzheimers to forget how.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
pigiron said:
You must be a yong-un. After turning on my Buffalo each winter for 40 years,
I'd have to have Alzheimers to forget how.

Hahhaa... Yep, your right. But, in my excuse.. it's vodka. I can start a diesel that's been sitting idle for 20 years... I can rebuild a generator that been idle for 50 ... but, you get me into a HVAC that's been sitting in my OWN HOME since last winter, and I "didn't read the directions".. well, I deserve it.

//again, I feel stupid. :)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Dont feel bad my AC wouldent come on this summer so I called the AC guy paid him 40.0 to turn on my Breaker , I had turned them off so the kids would quite turning it on when the space heater made it to hot while it was 40 Degress outside, and forgot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions