Cop car across the street from my house today...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2505064926_4af9d2880b.jpg

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I live two doors down from a cop and next door to a paramedic. I get used to seeing emergency vehicles.....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never took my cop car home but just having the neighborhood knowing I was a cop cut down on the crime on out block. Of course I had the misfortune of having some of the neighbors phone me at all hours and ask for advice instead of calling the station. After a couple of years the new wore off and people began to realize my home life wasn't any different than theirs and my kids played with theirs and everything settled down. I guess some people expect a cop to be running up and down the street all night arresting people, but it doesn't work that way thank goodness. I always got all the crime business I wanted at work and tried not to bring it home with me. I always got a kick out of some people who thought I knew everything. They'd call and ask what happened in that wreck across town last Thursday night? In a city of 200 square miles and a population of half a million I didn't have a clue that there even was an accident Thursday night. Then again a few people I met said their cop neighbor was an a--hole and I suppose he/she probably was. It takes all types on any job but at most jobs you don't bring your occupation home with you. I've even heard mothers tell small children that they had better behave or that policeman will shoot you! I felt like shooting the mom! Being a cop is almost like wearing a sign on your back that says COP 24 hours a day and if you can't take it you need to be doing something else. I really felt like I was making a difference but after about 20 years I realized I wasn't making much of an impact after all I had seen and done and been involved in, so I did something else for ten more years. But I miss it even today and it's been another 20 years since I was in the business. I guess it's the adrenalin rush you get about twice a night when on duty? I wonder if that's how a junkie feels? Monty

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My oldest son in law is a senior officer in one of the two towns that I go to . The gentleman that looks like he is going to become my youngest son in law is a senior officer in the other town . Makes me a better citizen in that I don't wish to embarass either of them by Dad being written up by either of them or their brethren .

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
We only have four cops in town, including the Chief. One is a decent guy, one is ex marine Iraq vet like me, but has an annoying habit of still thinking he is walking talking bad ass....in or out of uniform. The other guy is just your stereotypical small town cop, great big guy with an Okie accent and talks to everyone....

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
mikeofaustin said:
is it just me, or do you also see something like this and immediately say to yourself, "What have I done now?"....

//probably a carry over thought from my teen age years.
I'd be more worried if it was outside my house/in the driveway than across the street(presumably in front
of someone else's house)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our town used to have a cop.

Right now he is out on bail, waiting for his trial for rape and perjury, and not allowed in town.

Who, in their right mind rapes the local drunk in the town council basement, then gets arrested, says he didn't, then admits he did, but it was consensual, then applies for a public defender and lies on his application of need (he didn't report his police extra-duty pay-duh).

Now, nobody wants the job.

B

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
What gender is the town drunk and do you have a photo of this person

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I never took my cop car home but just having the neighborhood knowing I was a cop cut down on the crime on out block. Of course I had the misfortune of having some of the neighbors phone me at all hours and ask for advice instead of calling the station. After a couple of years the new wore off and people began to realize my home life wasn't any different than theirs and my kids played with theirs and everything settled down. I guess some people expect a cop to be running up and down the street all night arresting people, but it doesn't work that way thank goodness. I always got all the crime business I wanted at work and tried not to bring it home with me. I always got a kick out of some people who thought I knew everything. They'd call and ask what happened in that wreck across town last Thursday night? In a city of 200 square miles and a population of half a million I didn't have a clue that there even was an accident Thursday night. Then again a few people I met said their cop neighbor was an a--hole and I suppose he/she probably was. It takes all types on any job but at most jobs you don't bring your occupation home with you. I've even heard mothers tell small children that they had better behave or that policeman will shoot you! I felt like shooting the mom! Being a cop is almost like wearing a sign on your back that says COP 24 hours a day and if you can't take it you need to be doing something else. I really felt like I was making a difference but after about 20 years I realized I wasn't making much of an impact after all I had seen and done and been involved in, so I did something else for ten more years. But I miss it even today and it's been another 20 years since I was in the business. I guess it's the adrenalin rush you get about twice a night when on duty? I wonder if that's how a junkie feels? Monty

You PEGGED that one Monty! That's pretty much how things were for me during my two decades in LE.
I ESPECIALLY hated it when people couldn't understand how far Criminal Law is removed from Civil Law! I was constantly asked for advice about civil issues, and many people couldn't figure out why I wouldn't be more 'helpful'.

I miss it too, and keep thinking about taking the 2 week course down here to familiarize myself with state laws and get a police certification for Florida. I'm hesitant because I'm afraid I'll start out with intentions of just working part-time and end up getting sucked back in......
Anyway, you take care partner, and stay safe!

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Monty said:

You sound like one of the good ones. I karaoke (sing) with one DPS trooper, and two local P.D. lieutenants (all female) in the N.Austin area. They themselves tell me about the percentage of 'bad cops', which they agree that is about 30 percent.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a she.

No, she's not somebody who's picture I keep in my wallet!!! :tongue3:

She's about 5 foot tall (our cop is 6'4"), about 58-60, and though I talk to her every time I work, I have never seen her sober in the two years I have worked there. She was apparently wobbling from our place to the other bar (ours is real quiet, the other one is where everybody parties).
He picked her up, told her it was his way or the who-scow for public drunkeness, brought her to the town council hall, into the basement, left his dna in 3 areas, then brought her to the other bar, where she promptly called her sister-in-law, who brought her to the hospital.

Come to find out since then, that the last place he worked had told him he either had to quit or be fired - he quit - and managed to keep his record clean in the process. (same type of situation as happened here). He is currently trying to get a bunch of "evidence" taken off before trial.

So, right now he is still innocent, and his trial has been postponed 3 or 4 times.

B

Back as a kid, we had cops around all the time (lots in our family) and my nephew is a cop in Pa. For a kid, its a pain, because when there was trouble locally, instead of calling the cops, they would call our house. Though the Connecticut police guys always brought their cars home, so it was nothing to have 5 or 6 in our yard.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody hates a cop gone bad more than one who isn't. Because when it happened we all got stereotyped. It's much like prejudice toward minorities. One bad apple spoils the whole barrel so to speak. Here's something I'll bet those of you outside law enforcement don't know. The numbr one gripe every cop has to listen to is traffic tickets! Of all the bad stuff going on in the world, traffic tickets piss off more people than anything. I got a traffic ticket once when I was a teenager and I wasn't guilty or so I thought. And it still makes me angry. So I understand. But you know what? I didn't get a ticket all the times I didn't get caught squeeling my tires or speeding or drag racing on the street or my pipes that were terrific but so loud! :D But that don't count does it? And to top it all off , do you know what the most dangerous thing a cop does in a shift? Traffic stops! More cops are murdered making traffic stops than any other situation they encounter. Ok, I'll shut up for now. Sorry about hijacking your post. Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Nobody hates a cop gone bad more than one who isn't. Because when it happened we all got stereotyped. It's much like prejudice toward minorities. One bad apple spoils the whole barrel so to speak. Here's something I'll bet those of you outside law enforcement don't know. The numbr one gripe every cop has to listen to is traffic tickets! Of all the bad stuff going on in the world, traffic tickets piss off more people than anything. I got a traffic ticket once when I was a teenager and I wasn't guilty or so I thought. And it still makes me angry. So I understand. But you know what? I didn't get a ticket all the times I didn't get caught squeeling my tires or speeding or drag racing on the street or my pipes that were terrific but so loud! :D But that don't count does it? And to top it all off , do you know what the most dangerous thing a cop does in a shift? Traffic stops! More cops are murdered making traffic stops than any other situation they encounter. Ok, I'll shut up for now. Sorry about hijacking your post. Monty

:D I Know I deserved every Traffic Ticket I Asked for :D

But always Argued with the Cop that I Didn't ;D

But back then it was Boredom that Made me do it :coffee2:

If only I had all the money I threw away back then,
Just to get a ticket. and argue I Didn't deserve it.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I'm just watching the noon news - and Mr. McColl has decided to stop wasting our taxpayer money, and came to court and pleaded guilty.

They agreed to drop the other two sexual charges (and one of the perjury charges), and he will be sentenced next week. Our state has a mandatory (minimum) sentence, of 15 to 25 years, with at least 1/3 served before a parole hearing, so he will not be around for at least 5 years, and he will officially be a sex offender.

Since he and his wife have 3 children (including one he has never seen, since she was pregnant when he was arrested), I believe she will probably divorce him, because he will not be able to live here (3 blocks from 2 schools, plus the children) - not to mention that she is a teacher.

B

I really hope that, once this is over, someone will want to be our local police officer. Some people thought it wasn't possible he would do that, and would be found innocent, and was being jumped on - our town law says the officer has to live in town. Right now, the town is paying extra to call the police from the next town (24 miles away).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread