what does a transient (bum) need with two bottles of rubbing alchohol?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I've just noticed the use of the word transient in the title and its equivalence to bum by mikeofaustin.
A transient is a person that stays in a place or job for a relatively short period of time and has nothing to
do with being a bum,vagrant,wino or homeless person.
There are many jobs that are seasonal and hence need transient workers.
It used to be our family tradition each year to go berry picking over the summer break for a few weeks and we
certainly weren't bums.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
truckinbutch said:
It's all ten thousand miles I've come to spend me life as a shearin bum ....
Not bad, but bum here means a person spending a great deal of time doing a specific thing such as shearing
or a ski bum or poker bum.
In any event the line is about 150years old and the language have evolved.

Clearly mikeofaustin was referring to the lower class in his society as he perceives them.

The making of a bum :
http://www.bumwine.com/md2020.html

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
pigiron said:
I've just noticed the use of the word transient in the title and its equivalence to bum by mikeofaustin.
A transient is a person that stays in a place or job for a relatively short period of time and has nothing to
do with being a bum,vagrant,wino or homeless person.
There are many jobs that are seasonal and hence need transient workers.
It used to be our family tradition each year to go berry picking over the summer break for a few weeks and we
certainly weren't bums.

Thank you. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by my lack of understanding. And for what it's worth, as a kid, we were very poor (I could write a book on it), and we used to pick wild blue berries and Mom would make a very tasty pie. I could go on and on about how poor I was as a child but I won't . I just wanted to relay my apologizes for being ig norant about that word.

Sorry if I offended you.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I don't see the problem. Pig, you had to quantify transint with worker using the word transient as a adjective. I believe that Mike was doing the same. I know the parentheses messed up the grammar, but if someone said " transient bum" or "transient worker" I would understand both and not confuse them at all. I'm just a sayin. :dontknow:

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
21stTNCav said:
I don't see the problem. Pig, you had to quantify transint with worker using the word transient as a adjective. I believe that Mike was doing the same. I know the parentheses messed up the grammar, but if someone said " transient bum" or "transient worker" I would understand both and not confuse them at all. I'm just a sayin. :dontknow:

Thank you.

I'm sorry pig_. I was actually trying to be polite by calling 'them' "transients" versus, "BUMs". I was under the impression that the word 'transient' was a more politically correct term to call the people living in the weeds.... and pooping on their own front lawn... ................................................... I'm kidding here. I mean no disrespect. It's just my horrid sense of humor. Really.

If you should ever come to Austin, I will apologize with taking you to the finest restaurant in Austin, to what I classify as the best fajita's on earth. If you have dought, you can google, "best fajitas in Austin", and that will point the way.... (although I really think they truly are the best fajitas on earth).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
transient --merely means one who moves or travels a lot * it can be for work -- a "merchant seaman" or fruit picker for exsample == or it can be a homeless person --some of which are dope or alcohol addicted folks which many folks call "bums" --due to the fact that their addictions are so bad their unemployible in normal jobs and their life style makes it so people do not want them to live with them -- all their cash goes for their " gotta have it --habit" thus their homeless.

in its self "transient" is not bad -- but many folks veiw the words "transient folks" to mean "bums"

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GunFarce said:
So THAT'S what makes you go blind?.. Hmmmm you ain't gonna believe it, but my mom told me it was something entirely different.. :angel7:

;D ;D ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its anyone in the areas "bussiness" -- while high on these mixtures these folks might attack you thinking your the devil -- or they might try to rob you to get their next "fix" ---break into your home -- or other crime s --or they might just stagger into the road in front of you * ---these bums might be cooking up meth -- of whichfumes are deadly and the chance of explosion real and very dangerous .

"normal folks" in self protection keep a eye out and watch what these types of folks do/ --can't really blame em for doing so .

there are down on the luck type "normal" folks (normally its temp--thankfully) and then there a long term homeless that choose by bad choices to live as street people

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Just to play devils advocate here, maybe they are using the alcohol for medical reasons or washing? There are folks out there that are homeless/bums that did not choose to be that way but are a victim of bad luck. I am one paycheck away from being there myself sometimes. Maybe cleaning their hands or utensils with alcohol is how they are trying to keep from getting sick. Losing everything you have in the world would be one of the worst things I can imagine, I might use rubbing alcohol to clean myself up a little bit just so I could have some semblance of dignity.

That being said I do know that there are a lot of them out there that are the way they are because of their choices in life. I just know that when I see them I think there but for the grace of God go I. JMHO.

Charlie

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many reasons why people end up living on the streets - sometimes it is definitely bad choices, sometimes its bad mental health, sometime it is bad luck.

We should never make any assumptions as to why, until we have walked a mile in someone's shoes. They say that most people are only a paycheck away from being on the streets, and while we can "put away" for a rainy day, sometimes you can get a year's worth of rainy days in one event in your life. (a major illness, a home burning down, an major event like an earthquake, flood, etc., are all out of our control). Also, some people are much more mentally strong than others.

B

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I had something really bad happen to me in September 2005 and I developed a very severe case of post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression. If it wasn't for a good boss that let me work whenever I could and parents that I could fall back on I would have ended up homeless, living on the street, and probably addicted to drugs or alcohol. That is a big reason I give money to charities, the homeless, and the beggars whenever I see them. If they wanna use the money to get drugs or booze that's not my problem. I can't control what other people do but I can control what I do.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
steve you've learn a lesson not many folks do -- you can not "control" the actions of others -- however you can control your actions and reactions to others . and that is something many folks fail to understand --many use the "he / she made me do----" no you let what they did influence what you did --allowing them in effect to control you -- one must be strong enough to see such "mind games" in action and not fail prey to them.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
steve you've learn a lesson not many folks do -- you can not "control" the actions of others -- however you can control your actions and reactions to others . and that is something many folks fail to understand --many use the "he / she made me do----" no you let what they did influence what you did --allowing them in effect to control you -- one must be strong enough to see such "mind games" in action and not fail prey to them.

My girlfriend blew her brains out with my shotgun right in front of me. She was shooting a 12 guage 3 inch rifled deer slug. The bullet tore the whole top of her head off from ear to ear. I was standing behind her as she was shooting at targets. In one quick motion she put the butt of the gun on the ground and the muzzle to her head. Most of her head ended up landing on me. I ended up sitting at the cop shop covered in blood and brains and skull fragments being interrogated as a murder suspect for 5 hours afterward and was finally found not at fault. Nobody had any clue that she felt like this. She did a very good job of hiding her feelings. So don't talk to me like that please. Lets see you be strong enough to handle something like that. Lets see you experience something like that and see how it influences you.

I am now trained as a facilitator and I run a support group for others that have lost loved ones to suicide. I have an email list of about 175 people. I have about 75 people that have come to my group at different times. I have brochures and cards that the local cops and sheriff distribute to people whenever there is a suicide.

And that is all I am gonna say about that so don't ask any stupid questions.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its ok steve --she did what she did --her choice --why who but her knows ? -- of course it was a horrible thing for you to go thru totally unexpected and quite tramatic , I'm sure and the whole your a suspect thing --well needless to say after what you went thru was the last thing you needed .

but as I said you can not control her actions --only your actions and your reaction to what she did as life goes on for you.---not being harsh -- but life at times reqiures you to be much tougher than you thought possible --and yes I seen death up close --not from self inflected --but from car wrecks --trying to save a 8 year ild kid inpaled on a gear stick shift of a truck that hios nitwit drunk uncle was racing and wrecked in --no the child did not live --his brother with 2 broke arms and legs did however --but they did not finish growing quite right since then --the uncle busted his head like a ripe melon brains outs mumbling as he died as I came upon the wreck --the other racer fled the scene --it was on halloween night several years back -- I still can not think of halloween as a "fun" holiday anymore because of it. but I deal with it --the worse part was when the kids mom came up yelling why ain' they moving my lil boy from the truck ? --the older one was on the right side --lil one in the middle --the uncles truck had a floor rod type shifter --no ball or cover on it lil kid never stood a chance --truck went off the road on a tight curve hit a tree -- dead center -- young kid impladed dead -- other braced for impact --boke all arms and legs --uncle bashed his skull open -- ugly sight to come upon

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he's buying it he's drinking it,remember he's an alcoholic,his stomach can take it,it's a shame how this happens to mainly homeless men.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I've often wondered what bum's stories are. How they ended up where they did. When I was in Chicago a few years back getting trained to run the group a guy came up to me on the train and asked for money to get a sandwich. I said I'll give ya some money but first I want you to tell me your story. He said that when he was little his dad killed his mom. He was 6. His dad had a rifle that he was pointing at his mom and he was hanging with both arms on the gun trying to get his dad to stop. His dad shot his mom several times and killed her. His dad went to prison and he was put in a foster home. The dad at the foster home started sexually abusing him. He ran away from the foster home and had lived on the streets for that past 14 years. He was 22 when I talked to him. We got off the train and I walked with him to a subway where I bought him a sandwich. Btw, I had several other people with me when this happened so I wasn't to worried about him pulling some crap.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
life for some folks is very very hard , its hard to believe some of the horrors stories folks have lived thru --its not always the years that get you --some times its the rough milage.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Sorroque said:
What buisness is it of anyone what a bum does or does not do?
Because anyone of us , despite our present wealth, job etc could end up one.
For example in your own brain there could be a ticking time bomb that could plunge you into sudden mental illness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread