Unemployment benifits - need advice. (claimed wages from self employed (oops)).

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Since being laid off in Feb or this year, only a few weeks ago I started getting benifits. They want you to list any income you receive on the side... So last week I did. I claimed 15 hours, and checked the box "from self employment". I'm thinking that was the wrong thing to do because a message immediately told me that my benifits were on hold and to call them up.

What now? I'm guessing I'll call them and they'll ask if I'm self employed, and I'll say... No, I'm not employed, I just had a gig that was 1099 for two days is all, and perhaps I shouldn't of checked that box.

Will they can me for being honest?

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Mike, don't think that they will can you, but who knows in this day and age, more likely they will cut your check for the amount that you earned...

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a fact that many don't realize is that when it comes tax time this April, you will be taxed for the unemployment compensation that you received and that can be a rather unpleasant situation if you weren't aware of the policy. I believe that when you first sign up for UI, you have a choice of having them withhold for taxes.
FYI.

Scott

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
anytime you make "money" and report it --they will stop your check --and "deduct" the amount against any benifeits you might have been eligible for * -- the govt only knows what you tell them -- unless theres a paper trail * ( in this case a 1099 WAS ISSUED THUS THERE WAS A PAPERTRAIL --SO YOU HAD TO REPORT IT --NO CHOICE --NICE 2 DAY GIG THERE)-- HOWEVER IF you did a gig for cash money in hand ? how can they know of it --unless your dumb enogh "rat" yourself outof course. --- thats why mob guys say --tell em nothing --they got nothing -- so keep yer trap shut.

since basically no one would ever check the "box " -- and say gee I made some "side" cash money this week unless forced to by a paper trail making them do so-- since for being so honest -- they would now get screwed up by the govt by getting their checks withheld and everything for a good long time while they "check you" out , and flag you to be watched for later on ---once you get the money flowing most folks know enough not to "rock the boat"

C

Cappy Z.

The govt is so full of crooks and thieves....I would NEVER have checked the box. Its We The People who should be in charge..not corrupt bureaucrats.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
They do a good job of making you dependent don't they? The SOB,s up top (and I include the previous administration and Congress) make financial moves to bolster the short term that mess us over in the long term. If our politicians did the right thing more than likely your Unemployment benefits would not matter because you would still be employed. Mc, my admiration goes out to you for your realization that the Government causes most of our problems.

S

Smee

1099 - The form an employer has to fill out for someone paid as a "contractor" or temporary employee in order to claim the payment as an expense.

It IS a paper trail, and failure to turn it in could cause you to LOSE your benefits, as well as opening you up for prosecution for defrauding the government.

You did the right thing . . . it just sucks that the employer went to all that trouble and expense to only work you two days. The accountant / attorney probably made as much off your labor as you did.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Smee said:
1099 - The form an employer has to fill out for someone paid as a "contractor" or temporary employee in order to claim the payment as an expense.

It IS a paper trail, and failure to turn it in could cause you to LOSE your benefits, as well as opening you up for prosecution for defrauding the government.

You did the right thing . . . it just sucks that the employer went to all that trouble and expense to only work you two days. The accountant / attorney probably made as much off your labor as you did.

Well I "said" it was a 1099, but I might not get a 1099 because they didn't ever request a SSN/EIN information. So I wonder if the company (I did the work for) will just call it a 'general expense', and not 'paper trail' it. (incidentally, the gig wasn't that bad. It was 15 hours of work and I made $1,250 before taxes).

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: Unemployment benifits - need advice. (claimed wages from self employed (oop

mcgearhead said:
Why can't someone realize the problem and instead of creating programs to help people when this happens, fix the problem instead.

The problem being taxes taken from your paycheck each and every week. We cannot continue to function as a society if we do not have the money that we need to continue to circulate.

If I had the power I would totally eliminate taxes from each and every paycheck. Instead of the taxes coming from people that make this nation great, it would come from sales of new items. This way not only folks that are here legally pay taxes, but so do all of the illegals, all of the foreign visiters that come here for vacation, all of the drug dealers, etc.
If you wish to not pay taxes, don't. You don't need to buy a new house, or that big flat screen, or groceries, or a new car, or anything else. If we could get back that nearly 40% of our hard earned money back we would be able to circulate a little more of it. It would be able to be freed up to do more such as investing for times like this when you get laid off, get sick and miss alot of work, or anyother obstical that comes along in life.

Anyway, programs aren't the fix, acually fixing the problem is.

I like the way you put "foreign visitors" on vacation in between illegals and drug dealers :icon_scratch:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
mikeofaustin said:
Smee said:

Well I "said" it was a 1099, but I might not get a 1099 because they didn't ever request a SSN/EIN information. So I wonder if the company (I did the work for) will just call it a 'general expense', and not 'paper trail' it. (incidentally, the gig wasn't that bad. It was 15 hours of work and I made $1,250 before taxes).

I don't know how it is there but in Missouri you have to report any wages you earn during the claim week and they dedeuct anything you earned after the first $20 from your benifits. Now if you go out and mow grass or do odd jobs for cash you keep your mouth shut but if it is actually a check from a company you are better off reporting it since there is a paper trail now.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Yep, I suspect that there will be a paper trail, even though they never asked me for me SSN or EIN. But, I'm trying to do the 'right thing' and at the same time trying to make ends meet. I recognize that if I make some money on the side (that could lead to a paper trail) it's best to report it. BUT, I just wonder, after i DID report it, now my unemployment is on hold until I call them (constantly busy phone BTW). I just hope that they don't say, "We'll you claimed self employment, therefore you are no longer on the government dime".

I worked only 2 days. I KNEW it was two days. I'm trying to get a leg up here. If I'm now going to be cut off totally from unemployment for working just two days... that tells me that there IS an incentive to lie. I mean, isn't it in the interest of the unemployment agency for people to seek work on their own? ...but to get penalized later for it... I just don't know WTF is up with that. (I still haven't been able to talk to them yet, so I don't know if that's what would really happen, but I'm a very pessimistic person).

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My, my, my - the government is crooked (no doubt about it), but, I haven't heard of too many honest citizens, either - at least not on this post.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black - someone was honest and truthful - and the advice given is to - lie.

No wonder we end up with crooked government officials.

How does someone who has a job, gets unemployed, and then collects unemployment - and is HONEST - be called "oh, they made us dependent".
BS. If they take money from his check (and they will) it is because he had earnings - unemployment is for people who are NOT making money - and its the governments fault????????????

How is that any different than collecting welfare when you have a job?

Geesh!

B

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
lets look at it this way.

The incorporated company makes money that is taxed. Then, they pay their employees, and that is taxed.
So, that employee now owes taxes on what they got... and with the left over money, he decided to pay a guy to do work on his house. That means, he now pays a guy that does work on his house, but that guy now has to get taxed, yet again, on the money. And then later, he decides to go to a dinner to treat his family to a feast.... Again, he is taxed on that money.

How many times are we taxed>???

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikeofaustin,

You will get no arguement from me on how many times we are taxed. None, what-so-ever. To add to that, every time we get a "tax break" from Washington, the local government takes up the slack in rising state taxes, or sales taxes, or liquor taxes, or cigarette taxes, or real estate taxes, et., etc.

But, I believe you did the right thing. Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean you should. Unemployment insurance is for the folks, like you, who had a job, paid into the system, and is now temporarily out of work. When you have income, you don't deserve unemployment, period.

As far as taxes, etc., that's the job of our elected officials. (and, I know how it really works too).

You can go to jail and be fined much more than you got, if you do it intentionally - is that worth it? As long as somone issues a 1099, a copy of that is sent to the IRS - guaranteed - they know what you got. If you employ someone as casual labor or as a contractor or subcontractor, when the year is up, you write up 1099's - there are three copies (sometimes four), one goes to you, one goes to the IRS, in some states, one has to go to the state, and one stays with the employer. (states like South Dakota have no state tax, so you don't need one for them).

Sorry - but I think you did the honorable, honest and legal thing.

B

By the way, corporations don't pay taxes on the money they pay you - they deduct your pay and your salary from their earnings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread