Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had about 40 positive xactions as a buyer over the last couple years. I did get burned on one sale, bought a car fender and seller ran with my money order. They had great feedback 500+ and I found out later they bilked about a half-dozen others right before they dissapeared. I was out $140.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have had an ebay store for a few years now (100% + feedback) I have bought MANY coins. Sold many coins. Some ups and some downs, but overall a worth while venture so far.
I have been burned once with a roll of UNC Morgan Dollars. The roll I got was all AU. The seller was willing to refund money, MINUS shipping! I decided to keep the roll and emailed the seller to let them know that I was buying several more rolls and none of them will be from them. I ended up buying 8 rolls in all. Bottom line, they were not honest and lost business.

I have been burned through mail order many times.

VPR

nauticalcollector

Oct 30, 2009
Fistfulladirt said:
I've had about 40 positive xactions as a buyer over the last couple years. I did get burned on one sale, bought a car fender and seller ran with my money order. They had great feedback 500+ and I found out later they bilked about a half-dozen others right before they dissapeared. I was out $140.

Personally I don't send money orders anymore for anything. Of the $500 I lost on ebay over my 10-year time with them, most of that was via money order payments. You have little if any protection with money orders. All my bad used detector deals with forum members involved money orders. Sorry, but I've discovered that when someone insists on a money order payment ONLY there's often (not always) a somewhat shady reason. Some just fear "chargebacks" I know but in my experience they were almost all slippery deals (bad coils, cracked cases, defective wiring, etc.).

Today if one puts the words "money order" in ones ebay offering, ebay will pull the ad. Money order fraud accounted for much of their buyer complaints. Lots of people thought this was only due to ebay/Paypal greed but it wasn't all-together.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Several years ago, somebody got into my PayPal account and took $2,000 out of my bank account. PayPal refunded the money.

You are required to have a bank account tied to your PayPal account, so I went to a bank that offers free checking accounts, opened a new account with $100 in it, and switched my PayPal bank from my real one to this new one.

Now if someone were to get into my PayPal account and hit my bank, the most they could get is $100.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Scammers have always been on eBay. Now that there are more people using ebay, there are more reports of scammers and that's why we're hearing so much about them. I'm even hearing that eBay and PayPal aren't even trying to keep up with all the scams going on. Which makes the news as much as the scams them selves.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy unless they have very high feedback. 100% isn't necessary for me, especially for the people who have 10,000+ feedbacks - you can never please all the people all the time.

But, I do look at their feedback - and I do something else also - we got ripped off one time - a long time ago and the Feds will do nothing unless it is over 10 grand, but we filed anyway.

But, I learned a very valuable lesson. One way to catch a rip-off guy(s). After you check their feedback - ever if it is 100%, check and make sure that there feedback is coming from folks who have been around for awhile - not just from 5 or 10 of the same folks.

The guy that ripped us off had 60+ positive feedbacks - 100% positive. If we had looked, we would have realized it was a "ring" of folks. There were about 8-10 guys who were giving each other positive feedback, so they all looked like they were stellar sellers. And they all were selling electronics of one type or another. Actually, from solar panels to car stereo systems to playstations.

So, besides just checking feedback, find out who the feedback is coming from, and check THEIR feedback also.

B

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
Scammers have always been on eBay. Now that there are more people using ebay, there are more reports of scammers and that's why we're hearing so much about them. I'm even hearing that eBay and PayPal aren't even trying to keep up with all the scams going on. Which makes the news as much as the scams them selves.

The first thing anyone should know about ebay is it's more just a public "trading" site and you are on your own. The best way it can probably be explained is if you go to a park after dark in the bad part of town, and someone robs you, don't count on the police to save you. We're talking millions and millions of people, of course they can't keep track of it all, and everyone should know that. I have lost count of the number of deals I've done but it's a very high number with a very high dollar figure. To date I have only lost a few hundred dollars... about the same amount I'd pay for shipping in a single week. Two days ago I bought something for over 3k off a seller I never dealt with before and sent him a direct payment, not through ebay just so he wouldn't have to ship USPS to my confirmed postal box. As long as you are smart about who you are sending your money to you will have very few, if any, problems.

Knock on wood i don't receive an empty box. :wink: :laughing9:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ebay Xbox would be considered a high risk venture by any standards.
They are all over craigslist, probably cheaper, and probably someone within 10 miles of you.
Of course, some people would rather do mail transactions rather than face to face, thats understandable.
Its not like craigslist is 100% worry free.

I've been buying and selling for some years now, never got flat out scammed, but probably just a matter of time.

Scams across the board are bound to pick up, as people start hurting for $$ more and more, and looking to take the easy way out.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever listen to the court cases on TV, a large percentage of lawsuits are about things purchased, or negotiated, on Ebay and Craigs List.

They are the top two places. You have to remember the phrase "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware.

When Yahoo had their auction site, the scams were rampant - worse than any other place toward the last few months.

At least Ebay and Craigslist have some honest folks, and a way to at least TRY to protect a person. They have the Ebay buyers insurance, paypal, etc.

B

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
If you ever listen to the court cases on TV, a large percentage of lawsuits are about things purchased, or negotiated, on Ebay and Craigs List.

They are the top two places. You have to remember the phrase "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware.

When Yahoo had their auction site, the scams were rampant - worse than any other place toward the last few months.

At least Ebay and Craigslist have some honest folks, and a way to at least TRY to protect a person. They have the Ebay buyers insurance, paypal, etc.

B

It only makes sense the top places fro transactions will also be the top places for fraud. There's no money to be made for scammers on dead sites!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought my Mac off e-bay.....very nervous did a lot of checking....turned out good for me....but the stress was great. I never buy from oversees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread