Unusual things people are going without in this economy

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Immy said:
Saw two news items recently about expenses people are doing without in these tough times - birth control pills and car insurance. Heard of any others?

FOOD

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Because my hands are arthritic I've always wanted an electric can opener but have resisted buying one.
I think this is unusual.

C

Cappy Z.

pigiron said:
Because my hands are arthritic I've always wanted an electric can opener but have resisted buying one.
I think this is unusual.

Your arthritis is in your head....trust me. lol.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
I haven't had any Caviar for a week :D

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
pigiron said:
I think this is unusual.

If you will take a shallow dish of golden raisens and cover them in gin until
the gin evaporates a small spoon full of raisens per day will help your arthritus more than celebrex without the bad side effects. siegfried schlagrule

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
In all seriousness, it is extremely tough at the moment :(

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
shaun7 said:

Why, the economy has recovered. >:( At least that's what they're saying.

My bank account hasn't seen it yet. :-\

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

Thanks Shaun, that's why I brought this up.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
RPG said:
shaun7 said:

The last year has been bad, but the last 2 months have been the worst :(

I don't know how they can say the economy has recovered :icon_scratch: Mind you I am in the UK, but I think we're all in
the same boat!

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I hope it doesn't affect my health but I've been forced to eat canned food instead of fresh or frozen.
This has reduced my power bill as I've turned my freezer off and also canned food comes pre-cooked.

S

Smee

RPG said:
shaun7 said:

It can't be, the recession is over! The economists said so: http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/oct/16/long-way-go/

Friday, October 16, 2009

"If you missed the news this week, a leading group of economists announced that the recession is over. At least on paper. Although a survey by the National Association for Business Economics found that 80 percent of economists say the recession is over, few of those economists believe a recovery is right around the corner."

Actually, according to Forbes, it ended back in May of 2009: http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/04/recovery-indicators-unemployment-opinions-columnists-recession.html

So, go figure . . . Are we doing so well we don't realize it? All those economists couldn't be wrong, could they?

Then again, maybe that's what they were told to say.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss an occasional quality cigar.
Scott

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
AU24K said:
I miss an occasional quality cigar.
Scott

Unemployed here, but I'm a fighter (started my own biz, although very low pay).

I personally have been mosquito bit every day from opening the windows and doing without the central air. I rarely turn on the TV and every light in the house is out except the room I'm in. And I go without showers for sometimes 4 to 5 days at a time... EEK! My grass completely died in the summer, and I've taken to buying top ramen by the case, and unfortunately, I still do by my bottle every now and again to keep me sane (I used to go to the local bar 3 to 4 times a week, but now their lucky if they see me once a month. It's a good compromise buying bottom shelf liquor for 10 bucks a week, versus 250 bucks a week at the local bar (really). I rarely drive anywhere, but when I do, it's almost like an anxiety attack because I feel like I'm learning to drive all over again.

-Never once in my life payed for cable TV.
-Always buy food by the ounce versus by the product... If it's over 20 cents per ounce, you better NEED it. Under 10 cents an ounce is fare game.
-I have the 'emergency phone line' from the local phone company versus the standard house hold line which is much, much more cheaper, which equates to about 12 a month (plus extra fees). I'm actually thinking about canning that altogether because callcentric.com has a VOIP line for about $2 a month! (PM me if you want more info on that. I currently have a $2 a month fax line, and a $4 a month 800 number for my biz).
-My cell phone bill is a 'pay-as-you-go' service, and because all my friends are on the same network, it's only a dollar a day "IF" I use it that day. I can go for 4 months on just 30 bucks.
(cell phones are handy in case of emergency, or that potential employer calls). (my pay per use is on att).
-Learning to bake your own bread is awesome (a current and long time hobby of mine). Flour makes bread, tortillas, pie crusts, bagels and pasta (and much more). It's very, very cheap compared to store bought product. It just takes some time in the kitchen.
-Steel gas from the neighbors vehicles... (of course I'm kidding).

But, in all, I've got my minimal budget down pact, and I'll be o.k just as long as I follow it. It won't be for at least another 9 months (on my current plan), that I'll need to move in with my family and lose everything I own, if I don't have a job by then... so I still have 'some' hope.

...and BTW, I think that if we can all pitch in a dollar for a good cause (to buy an electric can opener for a good TNET friend of ours that has arthritis), carma just might pay us back.... what do you think?

I'll start it by saying that you can donate a dollar if you go to " http://www.pcb-experts.com/contact-us.html " go to the bottom of the page and hit the 'pay now'. If everyone donates a dollar (heck, can openers aren't that expensive), I'll take it upon myself to send him the can opener... (and if not enough donate, I'll refund your money). My uncle had arthritis, and it's a real pain in the rear.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Well I am not down to canned dog food sandwiches yet, but I have gone to blended scotch,rather than single malt. Actually I have seen elderly people on almost no money ,use Pard on bread(day old)for food. Just remember, a shotgun ,a rifle and a four wheel drive, this country boy wil survive. Four wheel drive is optional. I have boots and snow shoes. and a flintlock. Maybe Monty should eat those Squirrles. :wav: :wav:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
shaun7 said:
RPG said:
shaun7 said:

I don't know how they can say the economy has recovered :icon_scratch: Mind you I am in the UK, but I think we're all in
the same boat!

No matter how hard it gets, don't sell the XP. I see a very large hoard in your future. :wink:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
RPG said:
shaun7 said:
RPG said:
shaun7 said:

the same boat!

No matter how hard it gets, don't sell the XP. I see a very large hoard in your future. :wink:

It won't come to that don't worry :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread