"BOO" (A Halloween Question)

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
"BOO" (A Halloween Question)

I may be going out on a limb with this subject, but thought I'd try it anyway. Members on TreasureNet are knowledgeable and great researchers, and I figured if anyone could answer my question, you could.

With Halloween upon us, I started wondering where the word "Boo" came from. And was able to find out that it is a shortened variation of the word "Boom", used when attempting to scare someone by imitating the sound of a gun or cannon. It appears to have no connection with the word "Boogieman."

My question is this: When was the word "Boo" first used to describe what a ghost might say? Was it Sheakespear? Dickens? Or some other long ago writer who first used it? Or possibly does it have an all American origin?

If you're in the Halloween mood, and have any input on this topic, I'd love to hear from you. ( The reason for my question is the result of my 6 year old grandson asking me, "Grandpa, why do ghost say 'Boo' ?" )

In answer to my own question, I was able to learn that the use of the word "Boo" goes as far back as the ancient Roman times, and was used both as a means to scare someone as well as an audience/spectator "jeer" or "booing." Interestingly, it seems the word "Boo" is the same in all languages! But I'm still wondering when it was first used in literature to describe what a ghost would say?

Thanks ... :dontknow: :help:

Attachments

• ph2629223160047123626.jpg
    ph2629223160047123626.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 135

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Re: "BOO" (A Halloween Question)

Word Origin & History

boo

"to startle," c.1430, probably because it can be pronounced as a loud, booming sound; as an expression of disapproval, 1816, perhaps imitative of oxen; hence, the verb meaning "shower someone with boos" (1893). Boo-hoo first recorded 1525, originally of laughter or weeping. To say boo "open one's mouth, speak," originally was to say boo to a goose.

I am not up on my Shakespear history but 1430 sounds about right. It says being imitative of an oxen...thats a new one on me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread