Old Time Sayings

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From an older(he was old, I mean old, like 40 or something:laughing7:) guy when I was young.....
I'll have to change the words but you'll get the point.

"If you spend your time chasing cats, you won't have any money! If you spend your time chasing/making money the cats will follow!" Or something like that.

The only thing I can figure? He must have owned a cat food factory! Whatever did he mean? :laughing7:

Also grandparents use to say..."simmer down!!!" "Don't make me cut a switch off the tree."

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Nighty night , don't let the bedbugs bite!"

"The faster I go , the behinder I get!"

I'm Pensilvania Dutch. Lots more sayings I have!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Boy ! I'll kick your azz so hard you will look like you are wearing a turtle neck sweater with TWO cheeks !

OzarkCat

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, this thread has brought back memories. I havenā€™t heard these in years.
I remember the majority of those already posted . Here are a few more that I think you will remember. Some may not be considered ā€˜sayingsā€™ they may just be adjective phrases, similes, and metaphors and they may not all be word for word correct becauseā€¦ I am older than dirtā€¦

Knock you into next weekā€¦..Dumber than a door knobā€¦. Let it go like water off a duckā€™s backā€¦Iā€™ll be on you like white on riceā€¦.Raining cats and dogsā€¦Nervous as a whore in churchā€¦One bird in the hand beats two in the bushā€¦.Penny wise Pound foolishā€¦.Out of the frying pan into the fireā€¦The pot calling the kettle blackā€¦Beggars canā€™t be choosersā€¦..As pure as the driven snowā€¦.As fast as greased lightningā€¦.Shaking like a leaf on a treeā€¦.Old as Methuselahā€¦..Old as the hillsā€¦.A fool and his money are soon partedā€¦.One foot in the grave and the other one draggingā€¦.For crying out loudā€¦Straight from the horse's mouthā€¦.Bull in a china cabinetā€¦.Grinning like the cat that ate the canaryā€¦..Quiet as a church mouseā€¦.Running around like a chicken with its head cut offā€¦.Curiosity killed the catā€¦.Hot as a fire crackerā€¦.Knock on woodā€¦.Squeakiest wheel gets the greaseā€¦.He is smart poor and stupid richā€¦You would poke a sleeping bearā€¦Faster than sh*t thru a gooseā€¦.Green as grassā€¦.Green as a gourdā€¦.Green as chicken s**tā€¦.Your *ss is grass and I am the mowerā€¦.Beat like a red headed step childā€¦Meaner than a junk yard dogā€¦Useless as tits on a boar hogā€¦Wolf in sheepā€™s clothingā€¦Like talking to a brick wallā€¦.When hell freezes over and pigs flyā€¦.Waste not want notā€¦Pretty as a pictureā€¦Purring like a kittenā€¦Naked as a J bird

Thanks for putting up me!! I was on a roll!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Don't stick that fork in the toaster boy, you'll 'electrocute yourself."
LAWL! :laughing7:

I knew there was a Chris Titus/Stacey Keach joke in there, somewhere. :laughing7:

and something about a picket fence, ear of corn, and a piney wood rooter :tongue3:
but, I'm from the south, whaddaiknow....... :dontknow: :laughing7:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mother used to say, "Don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya."

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Piss or git off the pot!"

Best,

Scott

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"It is, what it is..." (looking at Big Foot scat, back in the OLD days in the NW...).

Last edited:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No news is good news.....
Waste not, want not......
Goin' to hell in a hand basket........
Penny wise, dollar dumb.......
He/she was beaten with an ugly stick.........
Breath so bad it could start the windmills of a 16th century Dutch painting..........
Cold than a witches' tit in a brass bra............
Can't put lipstick on a pig.........
Have your cake and eat it, too........
They are like 2 peas in a pod......
Snug as a bug in a rug.........

This brought back memories and can recall a bunch more, but.......

It's time for me to bring home the bacon.............

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad used to say he was so mad he could chew nails.......bet I caused him lots of teeth problems. Sorry pops...

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When the sh*t hits the fan, it's best to be in another room."
(Think about it for a minute....)

Best,

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread