Quartz counter tops

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Have been looking into getting my kitchen counter tops replaced with quartz. We have a lot of counter top area, so I decided to shop around.

Have one company very close to the house and decided to start there. Brought a diagram of the kitchen and got a rough estimate. Then had company over to measure to get final estimate. My wife informs me that the counter top that has the kitchen sink will have to be removed when they come to make the template. I had no idea that making a template involved the removal of the counter top. I asked if they intended to put the counter top back when they were done because it would be up to two weeks before they came back with the finished product. They agreed to put the original counter back in and I would be responsible for reconnecting the plumbing. Somehow I can not see living without a kitchen sink for two weeks. When they come to put in the quartz counter top the sink will have to be disconnected and then reconnected again. I have no probem doing this but since I am paying a pile of money for the counter tops it seems that the company doing the work should be doing the plbuming work as part of the process.

This just sounds odd to me that the original counter top has to be removed to make a template, so I went to another business that the BBB has given a A+ rating to and am in the process of getting an estimate from them. ( First business is not listed with BBB) I asked about making a template and they said that yes, they would come to the house to make a template. I then asked if they removed the old counter top to do that and was told that it was not necessary to remove the old counter top and that they just make a template of the existing counter top. The woman who I was talking to gave me a very odd look when I asked about removing the old counter top to make a template.

If any of you are in the counter top business, please enlighten me in regards to what the process is when redoing existing counter tops with quartz. I am still waiting for my second estimate to come in. Hopefully by the end of this week.

Thanks,

Ray S

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
The old countertop should be removed not just for getting an accurate template
( there may have been small inaccuracies with the old top) , but to check on the
condition of the frame support. Quartz is very heavy and also will crack unless it
has a stable perfectly flat bed.
Also the bed/frame has to checked for warping, liquid ingress and insect damage
any of which unless rectified will shorten the life of the top and its bonding to the wall and frame base.
I suspect the second company relies upon a "rating" service for business, but one has to ask who pays for this service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread