The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would not even consider upgrading...clean install is the way to go, if you do.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting on the disc to arrive, and will be doing a clean install as soon as I get everything backed up to the external drives.
I upgraded from Vista to Win7 with the RC1 and never had any problems. Must be what they were talking about with the "student download"... which I have on my computer (Pro version), but it won't let me downgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win7 Pro. Clean install is the only way to go. Still don't think it's a waste of time or money though. :icon_scratch:

Bran <><

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
from everything I've read, they say a clean install is the way to go. upgrades have to many issues that microsoft
either isn't willing to deal with, or is not prepared to deal with JMO

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the Best Buy website to see what their price on the "7" was and noticed they had about 51 comments posted from buyers of the new upgrade. I got about 38 comments read before I got side tracked and had to log off. Of those 38 comments, only about 4 of those were truly negative as in "Score of 1 or 2" out of 5. The complaints didn't make any sense to me by their verbage. The other commentors were strongly supportive. They were divided up into folks who had performed the straight upgrade and those who did the clean upgrade.

The main thing is you have to follow the directions. That seems fundamental, but how many people actually DO that. If you're running Vista, and an antivirus, you have to turn off the firewall and the antivirus. You can ONLY upgrade from 32 bit to 32 bit and 64 bit to 64 bit. If you're running a 32 bit program and want to go to a 64 bit, you have to do a wipe of the HD and a clean load of the new OS.

I was really wondering about the "7" until Bran gave it a glowing report on another thread and I got to read all of those other reports. I WILL be upgrading, but not by downloading from some site. I'll get the CD and do it like that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a grip. Buy a Mac and quit worrying about all this virus ridden catastrophic mess :thumbsup:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Get a grip. Buy a Mac and quit worrying about all this virus ridden catastrophic mess :thumbsup:

With Avast Anti-virus & Ad-Aware on my system... I haven't had a virus in about 3 years now. :icon_scratch:

It is quite amazing how Mac users think they aren't prone to viruses, yet they tend to ignore completely the virus software that's made and sold for Mac's... and keep saying "Mac's don't get viruses." You do realize that Mac's do get, and have gotten, viruses... they just aren't on the same scale as PC's, because they don't share near the same market usage as PC's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Mac's aren't good systems... they're just over-priced, and over-rated. :dontknow:

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd give you the link to where I got my copy of Windows 7... you just need a valid college or university student e-mail address. If you aren't a student, just find a family member or friend who is and see if they would mind you using their e-mail and have them forward to purchase link to your e-mail. It's that simple.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/st...=Sp3k9woBAkcAAEWB18kAAAAF&rests=1256965772339

Also keep in mind, there's a place where it allows you to purchase the Professional version for the exact same price as the Home version! I would suggest bucking up for the extra 13 bucks for the official Microsoft DVD to be mailed to you, so you're able to do a clean install without any problems.

Bran <><

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, got my copy of Windows 7 Upgrade for Vista 64 bit today at Wally World; got home and let'er run.

Had to delete a couple of minor conflicting apps and restarted the computer to clear out the conflicting things from the Register. After that, it ran itself 1,2,3..........no problem. I DID get a WARNING message about running out of buffer space, but I just closed that message window and the upgrade kept on working like a champ. A buffer is a temporary storage place that flushes right away as new info comes in. I knew that so I didn't panic.

This OS is definitely going to take a little getting used to, but no big thing. The hardest thing is going to be getting use to the new Mail app "look". If is wakes up faster than the sloooooooow assed Vista, hey, OK!!!!!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to know when some of these people who do the upgrades and new Windows programs are going to quit taking the half-baked approach, and start writing code that doesn't end up taking up all your free memory to install. (not literally, but these programs do NOT have to be so huge). I've lost hundreds of mb's, just doing the Vista patches. It's ridiculous and unnecessary. And, the more code you write, the more things there are to screw up.

What's that thing Scotty said in one of the StarTrek movies? "The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain?"

Windows is certainly a great example of that.

I like that Mac commercial where the pc guy is saying, over and over "we've fixed all the problems with windows95, you can depend on it, we've fixed all the problems with windows98, you can depend on it, we've fixed all the problems with Windows XP, you can depend on it............."

Geesh!

B

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
After HAVING vista screw up on three lappies for me I wouldn't buy another Microsoft Product! Actually there should be a class action suite against Microsoft for Vista. Bill

S

Smee

TnMountains said:
That's right! Why wait for a virus to delete important files, when Snow Leopard will do it for you without ever getting one virus.

Sorry, Mac is having a big issue with a buggy new OS . . . but everyone there is on the attack instead of fixing their problem

Snow Leopard is deleting files . . . wiping them beyond recovery.

-------------

My first experience with the completed OS Windows 7 was yesterday . . . and a very positive one. Especially with the videos I was working with. Seems to be much faster.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
That's right! Why wait for a virus to delete important files, when Snow Leopard will do it for you without ever getting one virus.

Sorry, Mac is having a big issue with a buggy new OS . . . but everyone there is on the attack instead of fixing their problem

Snow Leopard is deleting files . . . wiping them beyond recovery.

OUCH!!! Really?!!! Well I better let my girlfriend and the rest of her family know, because her and her brother just upgraded both of their Macbooks to Snow Leopard... and their dad just got the 21.5" iMac (desktop version?), which I also believe has the new OS also.

Eh, I'm not a huge Microsoft fan... but I'll go with what works, and has worked for much longer than Mac's... not to mention, what's more widely accepted world-wide.

Bran <><

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I wrote above, I HATE this new Windows LiveMail / att / yahoo mail goatrope with it's damn advertising blinking and jumping and carring on.

Does anyone have or know of a simple mail app? With NO advertising?

S

Smee

Shortstack said:
As I wrote above, I HATE this new Windows LiveMail / att / yahoo mail goatrope with it's damn advertising blinking and jumping and carring on.

Does anyone have or know of a simple mail app? With NO advertising?
Eudora. Has two modes: ad sponsored, and paid. www.eudora.com

I know that Mozilla (the firefox folks) has one too "Thunderbird" which I hear nothing but good stuff about. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Hope this helps.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, we have found several good (rephrase - thought was good) email programs, that was fairly benign (none completely adfree), and have joined. Most either crashed and burned, or decided to charge a fee for their email services. Anyone remember "freeyellow"? It was unadorned with dancing characters and you didn't have to click on "skip this" forty times - it had a decent sized mailbox, and they promised they would stay that way forever. Forever turned out to be about 2 years, and then they decided that, since we had been around with them for quite awhile, certainly we wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee each month - $20.00 a month. They were wrong.

I think the ads support the sites.

B

S

Smee

Yep, that dollar is important Mrs. O and nothing is free anymore. Even the macs are getting greedy. Their built in email is about like the old "outlook express" or free version of Eudora.

Personally, I use Gmail. I have Firefox with the "adblock plus" addon, but even with IE I don't remember seeing any ads there . . . plus 8 gigs of storage is pretty nice, as well as attachments up to 3 meg attachments (I think it is actually more, but I know I have sent some 3 meg pictures to a client).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread