Get Any Trick or Treaters?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
We're at the end of a dead-end street, a bit out of town, and there aren't any T or T aged kids nearby, so none this year. Well enough actually, since all our dogs go bat$hit at the sound of a doorbell, enough to scare the poop out of any little kid.

I remember, growing up, that a buddy of mine and I would go to my father's funeral home on Halloween night after we hit 16 and were just too "cool" to dress up. :D Believe it or not, there were tons of kids that would come to the front doors of the funeral home and knock, don't know what they were expecting exactly. Anyway, we would get to the funeral home a couple hours before it got dark. We would string all the lamps in the foyer of the building onto one power-strip, drop a spooky funeral home tunes CD into the stero system, and wait. When they knocked or rang the bell, we'd start flicking the lights on and off, hit the remote and fire up the spooky tunes on high volume, and start waving potted plants in front of the windows, and then watch the kids scatter.

One year I got a little more creative. I pulled the hearse a couple feet out of the garage, slipped on a hockey mask, turned off the garage lights, and waited till the kids walked up the driveway. As soon as they got close, I'd hit the headlights and blast the horn. :laughing7:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D We like Halloween!

Question, though. Does anyone else live in-or near a town that tells the kids what night and what hours they can go trick or treating?

I mean, this year, Halloween was a great night - full moon, weather moderate. But the town said - no, halloweeners must go on Friday,
and only between the hours of 4 pm and 7 pm. (one councilperson said it would ensure all children would be done and home before it got too dark) - but, this town only has 800 people (I really think its less), and, most people know the people in the town.

I don't get it. And, I really think it is sad.

B

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
The number of kids trick or treating has dwindled to almost nothing over the past few years. I suppose some of them grow up and do not go T and T any more but most of the young ones are taken to the safe zones to get their candy. Local Mall and or chuch functions.

A sad sign of the times.

We had probably 10 kids all night, if that many. Use to be at least 50 with their parents and grand parents.

Ray S

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey Piggy! Yes I live in rural Ok,. but no, that's not open sewer! ??? :laughing7:

Yes Mrs. Oroblanco, lots of the small towns around here do try to set times, and alot of the churches have fall celebrations open to all kids. Signs of the times I guess. (what the churches are doing is great). But I like to see the people who hang on to the old ways of Trick o treat also. A girl I work with goes all out with her yard. We work at an art foundry, so when an artist is finished with thier original sculpture it's usually discarded, or stripped for materials. She asks them if they would mind "donating the original to the cause" meaning the original sculpture is transformed into a ghoul. The majority laugh and and say sure, so long it's different than the original. Her yard is becoming famous. You can't even park close to it come Halloween Eve. She had 260 kids this year, in a small town. Lots of fun. She also is a prankster, and if you make her "list" thru out the year, you better watch out come Halloween week. Her pranks are innocent, unexpected, harmless fun. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for kids to see more
of this kind of fun, intead of the barricading that is happening.

naturegirl

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
mrs.oroblanco said:
;D ;D We like Halloween!

Question, though. Does anyone else live in-or near a town that tells the kids what night and what hours they can go trick or treating?

I mean, this year, Halloween was a great night - full moon, weather moderate. But the town said - no, halloweeners must go on Friday,
and only between the hours of 4 pm and 7 pm. (one councilperson said it would ensure all children would be done and home before it got too dark) - but, this town only has 800 people (I really think its less), and, most people know the people in the town.

I don't get it. And, I really think it is sad.

B

Exactly how would they enforce only going out on a specified date? Technically( although it would be a bit silly) you can go out and trick or treat any day of the year. I am just a sayin :dontknow:. I originally come from a town of 450 in rural Tennessee. When I was a kid we would wear that town out. Dad would carry my sis and I to the 3 different residential quadrants of the town and it would take all night.( at least it felt like all night to a 6 yr old. ) . I guess to 9:30. We started when it good and dark. I don't think any night has ever been mandated other than Halloween night, the night of the 31st. Never was it changed to Sat because it fell on a Monday or Friday, and certainly never changed from a Saturday to a Friday. That sorta seems counter intuitive.
I know for sure we never found panties decorating anything! :D Growing up in your town must have been intresting!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
None for us - only 2 houses on our street - guess its not worth it :(

They all trick-or-treated on Friday - the evening the town designated (why, I do not know), and they stayed in the main part of town. Hopefully, next year, the house will be totally complete and we will make up a haunted house thing, and invite kids. It's the one thing I liked when we were in town.

Of course, in my home town, the girl who used to fly her mother's bra up the courthouse flagpole and decorated the courthouse cannons with her underwear, and hung signs all over the outside of the high school, to quarantine it for a lice infestation, and threw roles of toilet paper on the bushes, is all grown up now, and is part of a forum that is talking about missing halloweeners. :laughing7:

B

lol thats we luvs ya Mrs O :laughing9:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They call it an "ordinance".

There was a few trick or treaters on Saturday, but most porch lights were off, in keeping with the "ordinance".

Actually, its a matter of a bunch of people who like to control what their neighbors do (imo).

B

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 kids and most just stand there with the bag open!
NO T.T.
NO T.Y.
I dont make it easy so I sweat them for "the magic words"
One girl kept saying"May I",Please" etc
WTF is wrong with this country.......
Next year I'll build a pit fall with punji spikes in it.Just off to one side of the front porch.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I just love those punji spikes ; they'd squeal louder than a stuck pig.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I remember this time back in high school... my girlfriend, probably 16 at the time, she wanted to go trick-r-treating and wanted me to go with her.... She dressed up as a 'cat'... and it was about the second house when the person said, "aren't you a little old to be doing this?". She had a mini-breakdown and I told her... "sweety, there comes a time when you have to give this sort of thing up"... she never did it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread