Get Any Trick or Treaters?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I haven't had any in 10yrs.I miss them.Use to have lots of fun with them when we lived in town.Back in the 70's we lived in town and had a tree next to the sidewalk with a real low limb.Had an old white cat and she would lay on that limb and hang a paw down when the kids walked by.I use to tell the kids that was my albino black cat.Some would believe and then I'd get some uh-uh's from others.Wife would spend two-three days making treats up.Wish we could turn the clock back more than an hour.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Oh I know what you mean! We live on a rural road, so we wouldn't get many anyway, but it is so sad to read the local newspapers of these very small towns around here, and see how most of the candy is handed out downtown because of safety concerns, fewer and fewer people can believe it's safe to take their children to the neighbors house. Very sadly, that's understandable. I miss the days of "The Great Pumkin" too. However, we did wake up to this in our yard:

Attachments

• halloween09.jpg
    halloween09.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 348

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Come to my neighborhood! I had 76 trick or treaters last night. I enjoyed most of them, but found that only about half said "thank you" :-\.. Some really good costumes this year, most looked homemade. Naturegirl, I give out really good candy(lots of Reese's cup, Hershey's, kit kat's) as a bribe to the kids so they wont tp or egg my house. So far so good :thumbsup:.. Good luck, Gpurs..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
due to the lil girl being grabbed locally and killed --somer --- no treat or treaters this year ---folks were scared to let their kids go out with real "monsters" on the prowl

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
We had a lot of kids this year. I live in a rural town, so it was not uncommon to see groups of two or three kids walking together.

As far as egging and TPing...it is part of it. I have never been hit......but I did my fair share of it as a teen. Easy way to get the tp off is to hit it with a water hose for a while. I also noticed quite a few homemade costumes last night as well.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Gspurs and LIBRAlabSOLDIER :wink:

We think we know the tricksters, and they are very much "40something"! I've been laughing all morning. I enjoyed the innocent ribbing. It'll take a few carmel cappachinos to keep this from happening again, just a handful of candy won't do. Do they make candy-corn cappuchinos?

ng
(Harmless fun :hello2: :laughing7: :hello2: everyone needs some!)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody passes out candy here on Main Street. It's not so much a safety concern, but there's so many second home owners who aren't here and lots of condos and apartment bldgs., and lots of folks who just don't want kids trampin thru the yard. Me and the grandson were banned by the police from goin out due to a tp incident the night before, but we snuck out anyway.

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I'm hoping to hire this fella next year to scare the little buggers off!!( I don't think my son was scared somehow).

Attachments

• Plymouth city centre 2009.jpg
    Plymouth city centre 2009.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 328

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ,kids are great. 30$ worth of candy and alot of thank yous Had some fun towards eve and told the kids we were honoring Obama halloween and asked if we could take there candy and give it to kids who dident have any. sorry to say the looks were priceless and had no takers. Whats up with that?

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
We had about 50 this year, were I use to live we would easily get 300 to 400.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I felt a sort of awkwardness when I looked out my window and saw a mom and dad taking there [probably 3 year old kids, two of them] down the street around 5 o'clock with the sun still out. Maybe that's just too young? No kids of my own so I don't know.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Naturegirl, in your post #1 here, is that an open sewer running through your property.
I havn't visited rural US , but have spent time in India and Indonesia,
that's why I wondered.

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
mikeofaustin said:
I felt a sort of awkwardness when I looked out my window and saw a mom and dad taking there [probably 3 year old kids, two of them] down the street around 5 o'clock with the sun still out. Maybe that's just too young? No kids of my own so I don't know.
That's one of the best ages!

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
warsawdaddy said:
mikeofaustin said:
That's one of the best ages!

Yeah, It's one of the best ages, for the parents. I lie with you not, they show up to trick or treat with children in strollers. Most of the kids really don't get it until 5yrs old. Sure, they get excited about it at 3, but they really don't get why they are putting a costume on. It's mostly about the parents or grandparents if they taking their 3yr old out. Of course this being said, I would rather have a child being taken trick or treating too young as to have them not trick or treat at all. Happy post Halloween.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
onfire said:
Great ,kids are great. 30$ worth of candy and alot of thank yous Had some fun towards eve and told the kids we were honoring Obama halloween and asked if we could take there candy and give it to kids who dident have any. sorry to say the looks were priceless and had no takers. Whats up with that?

Obama Halloween!! Funny stuff Onfire :thumbsup:.. Seems like those kids are probably like their parents in that they are willing to be very generous in giving away other people's stuff,,,,,but not so much with their own ;D... Good luck, Gpurs...

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Everybody passes out candy here on Main Street. It's not so much a safety concern, but there's so many second home owners who aren't here and lots of condos and apartment bldgs., and lots of folks who just don't want kids trampin thru the yard. Me and the grandson were banned by the police from goin out due to a tp incident the night before, but we snuck out anyway.

a tp incedent huh RGINN lol hate when that happens lol

sad to say me an the RedHead took the minnie miners out an played hell trying to find a place for them to go not many around seemed intrested , we hit a few stray house an ran across a church parking lot that had a small hot rod show going on where the folks say around their cars with music going an passing out candy so it was cool , we took Red's new puppy an got lots of attention cause of it .

what happened to the days where you could fill a pillow case an go till 11 pm

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Same thing that happend to getting a choclate chip cookie, a ginger bread man, a Carmel apple, a small piece of fudge,or a piece of fruit. Our society went nuts, and instead of fixing it by making a deterant to crime, we built insular community's and made Oasis's or safe zones inside the war zones. In a zoo the dangerous animals are behind a fence. These days the animals have been set loose to roam at will while we sit inside our cages all night.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
horaw 21st sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None for us - only 2 houses on our street - guess its not worth it :(

They all trick-or-treated on Friday - the evening the town designated (why, I do not know), and they stayed in the main part of town. Hopefully, next year, the house will be totally complete and we will make up a haunted house thing, and invite kids. It's the one thing I liked when we were in town.

Of course, in my home town, the girl who used to fly her mother's bra up the courthouse flagpole and decorated the courthouse cannons with her underwear, and hung signs all over the outside of the high school, to quarantine it for a lice infestation, and threw roles of toilet paper on the bushes, is all grown up now, and is part of a forum that is talking about missing halloweeners. :laughing7:

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread